hey everyone, new to posting, but I've been lurking for quite a while, good advice on the site!

I decided to paint my curve, it turned out pretty good! One advice, when masking off the front lens, make sure you mask off the backside of it too. When you spray, paint can get to the back and leave some paint residue. Or just remove the lens completely, makes it a lot easier, make sure you have glue or tape to reapply the lens back on if you do remove it.

You can scrub it off with paint thinner or paint remover. Lucky for me I just bought a new black lens so I am waiting for that to come along with my black keypad! So until it does come, my lens is a bit messy, hope it comes soon.

The paint I used was the fusion paint from krylon for plastics. It's flat black but they call it "Satin" in case you were wondering and cant find "flat" black. I gave it about 4-5 coats. 1 Coat every 1-2 hours. Let's see how it holds off until I have to open it up again when my stuff comes next week probably. It's a bit messy in some areas, but overall I think it looks decent!

UPDATE: just installed my black keypad and black screen len, looks pretty sweet now!

Last edited by conceptv; 09-24-08 at 07:48 PM.
    09-14-08 02:39 PM
    Ooooo, looks nice.
    09-14-08 02:41 PM
    Great Job!!!!!!!
    09-14-08 02:43 PM
    cool! i'm thinking about letting beckymae do mine for me
    09-14-08 02:45 PM
    great job!!! Can't even think about painting mine.
    09-14-08 02:45 PM
    solid job looks great!
    09-14-08 02:47 PM
    Thanks everyone. I let it dry overnight with a fan blowing on high to help dry it even more and keep stuff from landing on it since I did it in the garage.
    09-14-08 02:57 PM
    Good job! It's gonna look really good once you get the black lens and a black keypad.
    09-14-08 04:14 PM
    that is nice!!!
    09-14-08 04:19 PM
    Looks great! Would love to see pictures of when you get it totally blacked out.
    09-14-08 04:30 PM
    Well done. I love it.
    09-14-08 04:40 PM
    Can't go wrong with black....looks great!
    09-14-08 04:47 PM
    Nice! Well done... what did you use?
    09-14-08 05:57 PM
    WOW!!! You did a great job - it looks really good!!
    09-14-08 05:58 PM
    thanks peoples!

Nice! Well done... what did you use?
    and your question, I used the krylon fusion spraypaint for plastics. I cant post a url because I have less then 10 posts, but you can find it at walmart or some hobby store or hardware store or online. search for "krylon" on google and the first site on the list is the official website. Just scroll to "fusion for plastics."
    09-14-08 06:04 PM
    Did you sand down the housing at all or just paint right over it? It looks really good.
    09-14-08 06:47 PM
    I painted straight over. With the Fusion paint for plastics, it's made so you dont need to do any preping or sanding. The bond is pretty good if you do some decent coats. I did probably max 5. and let it dry, it'll be good to have a fan to blow it too.

we'll see how long it will last, I just finished it last night and reattached it this morning. I'll keep the thread posted with how well it turns out after a week or so of use.

Another member on here also did the same thing and after a week he said he is thinking about applying a clear coat over it to protect it some since he uses a hoslter/case, the constant in and out can have affect the paint. I don't use a case so mines will probably last a bit longer then for those who uses cases.

I was thinking, maybe applying the clear protective skin over it, like invisible shield, that way the paint wont scratch or chip. But we'll see =) !
    09-14-08 06:53 PM
    What theme do you have on your phone? I like how you have the icons.
    09-14-08 06:56 PM
    Cool, thanks! I'm totally gonna do mine too!
    09-14-08 06:56 PM
    Would look even better with a black keyboard instead of silver.
    09-14-08 07:01 PM
    Beats $100 + at the "other guys" place. I was going to have them do my 8820, but when I worked out the $ for the specific colors I wanted it came to something close to $200.. which is nuts.
    09-14-08 07:02 PM
    I painted straight over. With the Fusion paint for plastics, it's made so you dont need to do any preping or sanding. The bond is pretty good if you do some decent coats. I did probably max 5. and let it dry, it'll be good to have a fan to blow it too.

we'll see how long it will last, I just finished it last night and reattached it this morning. I'll keep the thread posted with how well it turns out after a week or so of use.

Another member on here also did the same thing and after a week he said he is thinking about applying a clear coat over it to protect it some since he uses a hoslter/case, the constant in and out can have affect the paint. I don't use a case so mines will probably last a bit longer then for those who uses cases.

I was thinking, maybe applying the clear protective skin over it, like invisible shield, that way the paint wont scratch or chip. But we'll see =) !
    A clear coat may help keep the paint fresh. Awesome work! You may even try a bse (best skin ever). I also like the silver keyboard. Nice job!
    09-14-08 08:21 PM

Again, good job. I second the clear coat idea!
    09-14-08 09:37 PM
    thanks peoples!

and your question, I used the krylon fusion spraypaint for plastics. I cant post a url because I have less then 10 posts, but you can find it at walmart or some hobby store or hardware store or online. search for "krylon" on google and the first site on the list is the official website. Just scroll to "fusion for plastics."
    Did you sand down the housing at all or just paint right over it? It looks really good.
    Krylon Fusion for Plastics

• No sanding or priming required
    • Bonds easily to most plastics, PVC, resin and more
    • Fully dry; fully dry after 7 days

DRY TO TOUCH
    • 15 minutes

DRY TO HANDLE
    • 1 hour

FOR USE WITH
    • Wood, Metal, Wicker, Wrought Iron, Plastic, Hard Vinyl, Glass, Plaster, Ceramic, Paper, Paper Mache.
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 09-14-08 at 09:56 PM.
    09-14-08 09:50 PM
    regarding the clear coat, I will consider it after a week of use just to see how well it wears down under normal use. It wouldnt hurt for more protection either. I'll give it another coat or two of the black then finish it with a couple coats of the clear. They have the flat clear spray as well so you can retain that flat look. If you use a regular clear coat it may be glossy and you would lose the flat look, so make sure you find the flat,matte, or satin clear.

What theme do you have on your phone? I like how you have the icons.
    In OS 4.5 it's a default theme which lays the icons out like that. It is pretty slick! It's called "BB Dimension L" if you were interested. Maybe they have a simliar theme for download if you don't have os4.5 installed.
    Last edited by conceptv; 09-15-08 at 02:22 AM.
    09-15-08 02:20 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD