OK. I just got an 8320. I'm liking it so far, but I need to know how to do a few things/know why a few certain things are happening.

1. How do I change the icons on the home screen?

2. When there are arrows in the upper right hand corner, is that referring to network activity with GSM/GPRS? Or WiFi as well?

3. It isn't letting me go onto the internet via wifi. I called Rogers and told them to cut off my intenet access through WAP and EDGE, as I will be charged for that, but that shouldn't be affecting my wifi, as it is independent to Rogers.

4. Will the use of the GPS service have me charged by my carrier?

5. How many days of battery life should I expect to get out of it?

6. What are some "must have" applications to download? And where do I download them?

7. How does one set up IMAP?

8. What about VOIP and instant messaging? Remember, I only want to use wifi, not my carrier's data
    Answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    05-17-08 06:14 PM
    1). You can hide or move the icons on the home screen. Hover over one and hit Menu. Select what you wish to do.

2). Don't know. I have an 8310. GPS enabled, no WiFi.

3). Rogers will probably not let you use WiFi without their data plan. They gave you a subsidised phone, right? Why would they let you use free WiFi? Look around hee, lots of people have tried what you tried. No dice.

4). Your phone does not have a GPS receiver built in. If you use GPS either by GSM tirangulation or via an external GPS receiver then as the maps are downloaded, they use your data plan for which you pay monthly.

5). Depends on how your use you r phone and, more importantly, how good the GSM signal is. Another factor is do you use the Auto-Off function and, do you have a holster with a magnet built in to put the phne in standby? In short, your mileage will vary but, about 2 days.

6). Look around this forum. There are lots of 'My 10 best apps' posts.

7). Call Rogers and signup for the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). They will send you the service books that your phone needs. You will then see an icon on your desktop called 'Mobile Email Settings'. I don;t know how much Rogers charge per month for this but my plan is about $20 US per month.

8). IM is possible but VOIP is only usable via a product called iSkoot that connects, via your carrier - not by WiFi (see 3, above). iSkoot connects to your Skype account so that you make local GSM calls only.

Welcome to Crackberry.
    05-17-08 06:42 PM
    OK. I just got an 8320. I'm liking it so far, but I need to know how to do a few things/know why a few certain things are happening.
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

1. How do I change the icons on the home screen?
    The icons are embedded in the OS, you can not change them.

2. When there are arrows in the upper right hand corner, is that referring to network activity with GSM/GPRS? Or WiFi as well?
    Yes. The Wifi arrows are much faster then EDGE.

3. It isn't letting me go onto the internet via wifi. I called Rogers and told them to cut off my intenet access through WAP and EDGE, as I will be charged for that, but that shouldn't be affecting my wifi, as it is independent to Rogers.
    You should be able to connect with the Wifi Only Browser.

Start with Set up Wifi from the BlackBerry home screen.
    Scan for Networks and it should find your Router.
    Connect and you should be able to access the Internet from the Browser.

4. Will the use of the GPS service have me charged by my carrier?
    Yes, that is how Mr Rogers became so rich.

5. How many days of battery life should I expect to get out of it?
    Days? If you get more then one day, you are not real addict.

6. What are some "must have" applications to download? And where do I download them?
    That depends on your use and interests. The selection of third party software is huge. Check out the CrackBerry Store.

7. How does one set up IMAP?
    Internet Message Access Protocol (commonly known as IMAP or IMAP4, and previously called Internet Mail Access Protocol, Interactive Mail Access Protocol (RFC 1064), and Interim Mail Access Protocol[1]) is an application layer Internet protocol operating on port 143 that allows a local client to access e-mail on a remote server. ...
    With BIS and a data account.

8. What about VOIP and instant messaging? Remember, I only want to use wifi, not my carrier's data

Voice over IP is built in, but, it requires a UMA server to make it work. T-Mobile has it working very well, our favorite carrier is ramping up UMA now.

The bad news is, they are focused on the dual mode phone model, not the data friendly model T-Mobile has adopted
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-17-08 at 07:02 PM.
    05-17-08 06:56 PM
    I don;t know how much Rogers charge per month for this but my plan is about $20 US per month.
    Rogers charges a very reasonable $15 per month for BIS. That includes 2 Mb of data, enough for a couple messages per day.

If you go over that 2 Mb limit, you will be charged $10 Mb. That is the highest data rate in the World.

My typical data usage is 1-3 Mb a day. It would cost me over $6000 a year to stay connected. That is why I do not have a PLAN.
    05-17-08 07:00 PM
    The icons are embedded in the OS, you can not change them.
    The icons are actually embedded in the theme you have active, not in the OS. You can download different themes that (sometimes) have different icons. The bPhone theme, for example has icons that look like the iPhone ones.
    05-17-08 09:01 PM
    Welcome!!!!
    05-17-08 09:05 PM
    Thanks kronk, that makes sense, it is part of the theme. I once messed up my themes, got a working device with B/W generic icons.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-08 09:25 PM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry community!
    05-18-08 05:56 PM
    Welcome to the crackberry family
    05-18-08 05:59 PM
    Welcome to the Crack!
    05-18-08 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD