Yesterday, I received three messages from Joke of the Day (Joke.mobi aka jokemobi.com). The jist "here is the joke of the day" to unsubscribe send a text STOP in reply. I never ordered this and didn't respond. Later, I looked up their website and through Contact Us I sent a note telling them to stop sending spam and not to use my information, etc. Today I get a note saying they are sorry, I am UNSUBSCRIBED, that they may have billed me through my carrier ($9.99 per mo) and to send them my address to get a mailed refund.

I called ATT Customer Service who quickly located the charge and credited the charge (though it might take 1 to 2 billing cycles).

First of all, everyone who receives these texts should report them. This is essentially fraud as I understand it as I never subscribed to this service in a knowing (and probably unknowing way either). Second, where do carriers get off accepting charges without my direct authorization?

Any thoughts?
    10-21-07 01:20 PM
    So how exactly do they bill your account?
    This is worrying if it's tht easy to get billed.
    10-21-07 01:44 PM
    I asked repeatedly and could not get a straight answer. They told me it is a "systems" issue and that certain vendors appear to be able to send charges through. Hard to understand. What I did subsequent to my first post was to call them back and activate parental controls on my account so that if anything except my monthly charges are billed or try to be billed I am notified immedaitely (so the say).

Still, this is not a good system. I don't want my account to be billed by anyone but me unless I have told ATT directy its ok.
    Last edited by Mr. H; 10-21-07 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling :-)
    10-21-07 01:53 PM
    Hmmm. I wonder if my provider has tht parental control option.
    Knowing how lame they are I doubt it but I would try them tmrw.
    Something like this can become problematic.
    10-21-07 02:00 PM
    Here are some others' experiences. Be careful registering or posting on this site. You may be contacted by a law firm seeking to file a class action suit - where, of course, the only ones to make money are the lawyers!

Jokemobi.com | Jokemobi: 90900 | Cell Phone Bill Complaints
    10-25-07 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD