Can anyone tell me of an easy blackberry for dummies type explanation to converting .jad files to .alx so i can download some of the newer themes?
    Last edited by Kariymah; 12-07-08 at 02:25 PM. Reason: i don't have an 8800 i have a curve
    12-07-08 02:22 PM
    The easiest way is to download OTA, it takes a few seconds to download the theme right from your Berry. Hooking up via PC is not needed...
    12-07-08 02:24 PM
    Its a giant PITA

The easiet thing to do is download a copy of desktop manager from blackberry.com and get yourself a usb cable.
    12-07-08 02:24 PM
    Wait, I misread....
    you want to convert ota files for zip?

why? do you not have a data plan?
    12-07-08 02:25 PM
    no i want to download some themes that are .jad files
    12-07-08 02:27 PM
    Wait, I misread....

I'm assuming the themes this person wants are not available OTA...
    12-07-08 02:28 PM
    Email the link to yourself, when you get the email, click the link and follow download instructions, thats the easiest fastest way
    12-07-08 02:29 PM
    Wait, I misread....

yes..exactly the themes are not available ota i would rather use that they are only available thru the desktop zip files but when they are unzipped the extension is .jad not .alx
    12-07-08 02:31 PM
    If they are not available ota then they are not .jad files.

You could request they make a OTA for you...

Are you really against using the desktop manager for installing themes?
    12-07-08 02:33 PM
    yes they not available by ota i downloaded them to desktop and opened using zip but the extensions are not .alx which the desktop manager loader requires it's .jad
    12-07-08 02:34 PM
    They must be available OTA if you were able to download them to your desktop, sure the files may be .jad, which means you can get them OTA..
    12-07-08 02:38 PM
    what movie was that line from?
    12-07-08 02:41 PM
    The Usual Suspects i believe, my roommate says it from time to time...
    12-07-08 02:43 PM
    So you want themes in ZIP format to load thru your Desktop, alot of theme makes will not make zip files any longer due to piracy, and I cant blame them as I have seen plenty of themes posted on many sites..

You can request eithyer .axl or .jad files in the theme thread, but its up to the developer if they decide to do either,

for .jad (OTA) that I really like and want to keep, Ill email, then save them on my laptop in a blackberry folder I created, or Ill also save on my blackberry for future use.

ALtho, I am extremely confused at this point due to conflicting information in diff posts LOL
    12-07-08 02:44 PM
    So you want themes in ZIP format to load thru your Desktop, alot of theme makes will not make zip files any longer due to piracy, and I cant blame them as I have seen plenty of themes posted on many sites..

You can request eithyer .axl or .jad files in the theme thread, but its up to the developer if they decide to do either,

for .jad (OTA) that I really like and want to keep, Ill email, then save them on my laptop in a blackberry folder I created, or Ill also save on my blackberry for future use.

ALtho, I am extremely confused at this point due to conflicting information in diff posts LOL
    Confused? hahaha, get it together...
    12-07-08 02:47 PM
    Ok, I've tested this on a BB 8320 and 8330.

If you have a .jad file (and the .cod files that usually go along with it) and want to install them into your BB (and don't want to download them OTA), you can try this (a media card is required!):

1. Connect your BB to your PC *in mass media mode*
    2. Locate the .jad & .cod files for the application you want to install
    3. Copy the .jad/.cod files from your PC to your media card (your media card should show up just like a USB drive on your PC)
    4. Disconnect your BB from your PC
    5. Hit your menu button
    6. Select media (the same place your songs/videos are located)
    7. While in media, hit the menu button and select explore
    8. Navigate to the .jad file you want to install
    9. Click on it and it will begin an "OTA" install
    10. Once the install is complete, have a cup of coffee and enjoy your new application

And by the way,

12-07-08 02:51 PM
    I do not have a data plan & am trying to get a few themes. I'm running 4.5.81 on bb & have 4.5 dm. What types of themes should i look for that can be dl to pc then transferred using dm? I tried one this morning & got some message. It was a very cool theme from coolblackberrythemes w/ Led Zep that I really want. Please help!!!!
    12-10-08 09:31 AM
    Is there anyway I can turn a zip file to and ota... There is software (free) that I really wanted ever since I got my curve... It makes the photo caller I'd picture bigger but its a zip and I'm no where near my laptop or desktop... Is there anyway anyone can help? Its call photo I'd deluxe
    12-11-08 02:12 PM
    Ok, I've tested this on a BB 8320 and 8330.

If you have a .jad file (and the .cod files that usually go along with it) and want to install them into your BB (and don't want to download them OTA), you can try this (a media card is required!):

1. Connect your BB to your PC *in mass media mode*
    2. Locate the .jad & .cod files for the application you want to install
    3. Copy the .jad/.cod files from your PC to your media card (your media card should show up just like a USB drive on your PC)
    4. Disconnect your BB from your PC
    5. Hit your menu button
    6. Select media (the same place your songs/videos are located)
    7. While in media, hit the menu button and select explore
    8. Navigate to the .jad file you want to install
    9. Click on it and it will begin an "OTA" install
    10. Once the install is complete, have a cup of coffee and enjoy your new application

And by the way,

Hi, I tried the above and when I hit 'download' I got this error message '907 invalid cod file not found'. Help?
    12-13-08 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD