I posted last week about whether or not I should buy a new Curve on ebay. I went ahead and did it - and I am not happy. First and foremost, the color is nothing like what is pictured in the auction. The auction shows the typical light silver pink with silver everything else (like the housing I have now) but what I received was kind of a darkish fuschia pink with black everything else, which I do not like at all. In addition to that, the housing fits very poorly - there are gaps where there shouldn't be and there's even a broken off piece of the pink plastic housing behind the faceplate, over the speaker. Not to mention the fact that there's tons of dust underneath the lens.

Needless to say, I'm requesting a refund and will be going to Alltel to do an insurance claim and get a new phone. At this point, I just want a phone that works. I don't care what it looks like. I could have saved myself about $200 (for the insurance claim and housing kit) if I'd have just left a perfectly functioning phone alone in the first place. Lesson learned.

I was honestly really surprised though. This seller has 99.9% positive feedback - only 1 negative out of about 1000 transactions - and everyone else seems to love the phones they received. They BETTER give me a refund. They have a 14-day return policy and the auction states you can return if it's DOA or "not as described." It's definitely NOT as described.
    05-14-09 02:20 PM
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, normally people have the biggest issue with Craigslist...
    05-14-09 02:23 PM
    Sorry to hear about this.

Geez, you really have a dark cloud following you around. Pardon the pun, but you have some bad mojo lately.
    05-14-09 02:24 PM
    Make sure you save a copy of the auction and take pictures of what you received. If you paid with a credit card or through Pay Pal this will come in handy.
    05-14-09 02:24 PM
    Exactly! I must admit, I was nervous about doing it in the first place but didn't think it would turn out THAT badly.

I haven't even charged the phone or anything. I tried turning it on to see if it even worked but nothing happened, so I'm assuming the battery's just totally dead. I'm just too afraid charge it and then have them come up with some kind of bs reason as to why they won't refund me because I did. You never know...
    05-14-09 02:25 PM
    Make sure you save a copy of the auction and take pictures of what you received. If you paid with a credit card or through Pay Pal this will come in handy.

Yeah, in case the seller tries to edit the auction item description.

If you paid with PayPal, try and resolve it with the seller first, then if they are uncooperative, open a dispute with PayPal. If seller is still uncooperative, escalate it to a claim. PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, especially in cases like this.
    05-14-09 02:27 PM
    wow sorry to hear that. Did the auction have actual pictures of the phone? and does it look like the one you got? Sometimes pictures give a different look than what it actually looks like. I'm sure as disatisfied as you are with your purchase it was not the buyers intend to mislead you. Especially if he's feedback is what you say it is. Can you provide us a link to the auction you won? Communicate with the seller and let him know your concerns. People with that high of feedback take ebay seriously and will work with you as they probably do it for a living and don't want negative feedback left on them. I've used ebay for almost 10 years to buy just about everything from sd cards, phones, shoes, car parts, shirts, pants, jersey's and plenty of other stuff and i have never had any problems. I think ebay is great!!!!
    05-14-09 02:27 PM
    I will do both of those things, thank you! I did tell them in my email requesting a refund that I will gladly include pictures if requested. (I will take them anyway, whether they request them or not, just in case.) And fortunately I did pay through PayPal so that's a big plus. I'm just afraid this is gonna drag on for a long time... That's a lot of money to be out!
    05-14-09 02:28 PM

If you paid with PayPal, try and resolve it with the seller first, then if they are uncooperative, open a dispute with PayPal. If seller is still uncooperative, escalate it to a claim. PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, especially in cases like this.
    Great advice, thanks! I've really never had a problem with a seller on ebay before so I wasn't totally sure what the whole process was. I will do just what you said. Hopefully they'll be cooperative within a reasonable amount of time, but if not I'll file a dispute with PayPal.

I've come to the conclusion that I have the worst luck with this kind of thing....
    05-14-09 02:30 PM

once an item has ended you can not make any changes to the auction.
    05-14-09 02:31 PM
    Wow, I already received a reply and they were super nice! They apologized, said it's no problem and that they'll even refund me the return shipping cost! Impressive... Well, there's one good thing at least!
    05-14-09 02:32 PM
    Great advice, thanks! I've really never had a problem with a seller on ebay before so I wasn't totally sure what the whole process was. I will do just what you said. Hopefully they'll be cooperative within a reasonable amount of time, but if not I'll file a dispute with PayPal.

I've come to the conclusion that I have the worst luck with this kind of thing....
    One more thing. Not only print out the item listing but also save it as a PDF in case you have to send it to Pay Pal.
    05-14-09 02:32 PM
    One more thing. Not only print out the item listing but also save it as a PDF in case you have to send it to Pay Pal.
    No need to print anything out. The auction has ended and you can not make any changes to it. lol geez guys you guys think ebay is that dumb? Actually I believe once a bid is in place you can no longer make ANY changes to your listing.

Im glad you got a response! Like i stated in my previous message they will be glad to help you and im sure it was not on purpose if it was a faulty phone.
    05-14-09 02:35 PM

Of course, save all your emails to and from the seller. If you open a dispute, PayPal will automatically track all communication between you and the seller until a resolution is achieved. That is, if you communicate through PayPal. Some sellers will continue to communicate outside of PayPal through regular email because they know PayPal keeps a record of all communications done through the website.
    05-14-09 02:35 PM
    Of course, save all your emails to and from the seller. If you open a dispute, PayPal will automatically track all communication between you and the seller until a resolution is achieved. That is, if you communicate through PayPal. Some sellers will continue to communicate outside of PayPal through regular email because they know PayPal keeps a record of all communications done through the website.
    Thanks xliderider, I never knew this.

This is what I like about CB you learn something new every day.
    05-14-09 02:47 PM
    Thanks xliderider, I never knew this.

This is what I like about CB you learn something new every day.
    Neither did I! I will remember that!! (This guy's full of helpful info.)

I really don't think the seller was trying to "scam" me by any means. To be perfectly honest, I think he/she is just not very knowledgeable about the product. For instance, after I had purchased the phone, I noticed that in the auction it stated it comes with the manufacturer's 1 year warranty. I emailed asking about it because as far as I knew, once the housing has been changed, it voids the warranty. I thought maybe they had some sort of special arrangement with BB or something. The first part of the reply I got said, "Honestly, I don't know for sure about that." Not really a good idea to be putting something in your auction that you're not sure is true or not... I had previously asked another question about the phone and wasn't really given an answer to it, but it wasn't about something very important so I didn't think too much of it.

I think maybe the seller just doesn't understand the importance of matching the auction with the product being sold. Aside from the phone not being what it was described as, I'd say it's been a pretty great ebay experience. lol The seller has been very polite and helpful.

I will for sure save everything and take pictures and all that though, just in case they don't follow through! I'll keep all my records.
    05-14-09 03:08 PM
    Need to be careful buying phones on ebay. I lot of bad esn's out there. Most sellers are good ones though and stand by their listings.
    05-14-09 03:41 PM
    I don't trust buying ALMOST anything over the net...I'd rather buy it in person and swipe my card.
    05-14-09 03:46 PM
    I posted last week about whether or not I should buy a new Curve on ebay. I went ahead and did it - and I am not happy. First and foremost, the color is nothing like what is pictured in the auction. The auction shows the typical light silver pink with silver everything else (like the housing I have now) but what I received was kind of a darkish fuschia pink with black everything else, which I do not like at all. In addition to that, the housing fits very poorly - there are gaps where there shouldn't be and there's even a broken off piece of the pink plastic housing behind the faceplate, over the speaker. Not to mention the fact that there's tons of dust underneath the lens.

Needless to say, I'm requesting a refund and will be going to Alltel to do an insurance claim and get a new phone. At this point, I just want a phone that works. I don't care what it looks like. I could have saved myself about $200 (for the insurance claim and housing kit) if I'd have just left a perfectly functioning phone alone in the first place. Lesson learned.

I was honestly really surprised though. This seller has 99.9% positive feedback - only 1 negative out of about 1000 transactions - and everyone else seems to love the phones they received. They BETTER give me a refund. They have a 14-day return policy and the auction states you can return if it's DOA or "not as described." It's definitely NOT as described.
    Unfortunate. I have never had an issue like this. Like you, I go with the high positive sellers.
    05-14-09 03:59 PM
    Sorry about your bad transaction! I personally have had one bad transaction with ebay. My other transaction was amazing. I guess with ebay its either hit or miss.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 04:16 PM
    I don't trust buying ALMOST anything over the net...I'd rather buy it in person and swipe my card.
    wow you my friend are over paying for alot of the things you buy!!!!!
    I love internet shopping! clothes and cars about the only things i don't purchase online except for the fact even clothes i have bought here and there.
    05-14-09 05:01 PM

Well looks like you learned a lesson, If it aint broke don't fix it...
    05-14-09 07:50 PM
    Unfortunate. I have never had an issue like this. Like you, I go with the high positive sellers.
    Was the seller from China???? If so that is your problem, They try and copy alot of things and usually something wrong with them...
    05-14-09 07:52 PM
    mojo that is bad luck especially with 99.9% positive feedback. Keep us posted on what happens...
    05-15-09 01:32 AM
    Glad it ended well for you. I have purchased few phones on ebay and thankfully (knock on wood) have not had any problems.
    05-15-09 07:53 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD