Hi Everyone,

I just switched from an Iphone to a blackberry. So far I am not happy but I am willing to learn because this is such a great phone reception wise.

Here's my main concern and what I dislike about the blackberry at this time(perhaps it is just a setting, I am hoping it is)

#1. I have setup my Gmail account on my blackberry but I can't see all of my old emails.. Only new emails that come in.

#2. Every email that comes in shows 2 copies. 1 copy in my message box and 1 message in my message box for that email address.

#3. When I send emails or reply to emails from my black berry it uses this very very plain text that looks like text from a "text" document in windows. Can't I use arial or time roman?

PLEASE HELP!!
    10-01-08 12:20 PM
    #4. no separate inbox, sent box, trash, etc...
    10-01-08 12:24 PM
    #1. I have setup my Gmail account on my blackberry but I can't see all of my old emails.. Only new emails that come in.

Correct on BIS service you will get only new email from now on. not old.

#2. Every email that comes in shows 2 copies. 1 copy in my message box and 1 message in my message box for that email address.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/prev...-handheld-853/

#3. When I send emails or reply to emails from my black berry it uses this very very plain text that looks like text from a "text" document in windows. Can't I use arial or time roman?

Until official release of HTML email OS from your provider, that is the way blackberries are, but good news is right around the corner. * There are beta OS's but being new to blackberry, I would rather you not experiment with it, at least not yet....

#4. no separate inbox, sent box, trash, etc...

BlackBerry 101: Lecture 11: BIS Email Basics | CrackBerry.com
    10-01-08 12:27 PM
    1. Of course you will only see new emails. Your pre-existing emails in your Gmail account will not be forwarded to your Blackberry, as Blackberry utilizes push email. It doesn't just add every single email you have ever received to the device inbox.

2. Try searching on this topic - this is a known issue on Gmail's end.

3. The 4.5 OS's support HTML email, which is why you are only seeing plain text.
    10-01-08 12:28 PM
    1. Of course you will only see new emails. Your pre-existing emails in your Gmail account will not be forwarded to your Blackberry, as Blackberry utilizes push email. It doesn't just add every single email you have ever received to the device inbox.

2. Try searching on this topic - this is a known issue on Gmail's end.

3. The 4.5 OS's support HTML email, which is why you are only seeing plain text.
    On the iPhone the email is synced to Outlook and you can sync all the email folders and their contents to the iPhone.

I have set up several iPhones and this is how they work. Email is also not forced delivery as with the BlackBerry. You set the interval that the phone goes off and checks. this can be from every 15 minutes up to manual only checking.

It's different, not neccessarily better or worse.
    10-01-08 12:34 PM
    On the iPhone the email is synced to Outlook and you can sync all the email folders and their contents to the iPhone.

I have set up several iPhones and this is how they work. Email is also not forced delivery as with the BlackBerry. You set the interval that the phone goes off and checks. this can be from every 15 minutes up to manual only checking.

It's different, not neccessarily better or worse.
    Good to know, Pete.

I believe both phones have good and bad aspects - it just depends on which device has the most pros and cons for each specific user.

It must be said, in addition, that the OP's thread was quite refreshing, seeing as most people who are new to Blackberry and don't understand their device fluently simply post threads that bash their new phone and glorify their old one. Seriously when that happens, it makes me want to pull my hair out.
    10-01-08 12:40 PM
    Glad I finally updated my Sprint 8330 to 4.0.5.77. Email looks so much better.
    10-01-08 12:49 PM
    I understand it is Push and not IMAP.

Anyone have any tricks or tips to sync my read emails. For example once I read them on my BB I still have to go to my actual computer and mark them read....
    10-01-08 12:56 PM
    Try using the Gmail stand alone program to get access to all of your old gmail messages - I use it and love it - there are two message clients but the usability is worth it imho
    10-01-08 12:56 PM
    Hy don't you just go to your gmail account on your pc.. Whatever emails you want on your phone, mark as unread and it will send them like they r new emails

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-08 01:02 PM

can't post URL yet.
    This thread refers to sending emails. What I am referring to are incoming emails. If I get an Email from Account "A" shouldn't only 1 copy be left in account "A" inbox. Right now I have a message show up in my box where my text message comes in and a copy in my account "a"
    10-01-08 01:02 PM
    Try using the Gmail stand alone program to get access to all of your old gmail messages - I use it and love it - there are two message clients but the usability is worth it imho
    Would this standalone act like an IMAP? Link please.
    10-01-08 01:04 PM
    One is "Messages", which holds all the alerts andl incoming messages (which you can split SMS/email so they are separate inboxes).

If you only read your email in "Messages" you basically should never need to actually look at your [email protected] inbox. It's not really a bad thing because you can use "Messages" as a configurable, global inbox for AIM+SMS+Email+Missed Calls, or split some of them up.
    10-01-08 01:05 PM
    Thats how i felt when i first switch to iphone to bb.
    But I have it for a few months now and had the opportunity to go back to an iphone i passed it up,bc i realized what a great phone blackberry was.
    The only hype on the iphone is that its touchscreen,
    and that you can buy songs straight from the phone on itunes. Its really nothing compareded to the great things a bb can do!
    hope you love it!
    10-01-08 01:20 PM
    Would this standalone act like an IMAP? Link please.
    Go to.. m<dot>google<dot>com/mail?dc=gorganic on your phone. This will take you to the download page for the Gmail app.

This is definitely what you are looking for if you want to look at old emails, folders, etc. It has an option to notify you on a new message, but if you use this and your BIS account you setup, you will get two notifications. Just play around and see what you think.
    Last edited by grandmastem; 10-01-08 at 01:27 PM.
    10-01-08 01:24 PM
    Thats how i felt when i first switch to iphone to bb.
    But I have it for a few months now and had the opportunity to go back to an iphone i passed it up,bc i realized what a great phone blackberry was.
    The only hype on the iphone is that its touchscreen,
    and that you can buy songs straight from the phone on itunes. Its really nothing compareded to the great things a bb can do!
    hope you love it!
    Yeah, the biggest PRO for me with the Iphone was the IMAP feature where every single thing I did on the Iphone it would automatically sync up with my computer. So when I was on my computer it was exact duplicate of my phone.

With the Blackberry after I read and send all my emails on my blackberry all day, I have to go back to my inbox and mark all my emails ready(time consuming) or if I don't want to reply to an email at the time I can leave it unread on my phone and go to my computer later on and reply to it.
    10-01-08 01:25 PM
    I have to agree with the iphone person. I just came froma q9c and this almost seems to be a weak as a palm in interface and performance. I am still getting used to it but internet speed is terrible as is the look of everything. It's like dos v. windows. I know I know I am not trying to back but I HATE PALM.
    12-08-08 01:40 PM
    For #2. To eliminate 2 copies of your email:

1. Click on your message icon and open it.

2. Click on Menu>Options.

3. Click on "Email Reconciliation."

4. Click on "Delete On" and select "Mailbox & Handheld.

5. Hit the back button and make sure you select "Save."

Now when you delete your mail it should be deleted in both locations.
    12-08-08 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD