Hi all I am new here and I am debating on getting a Blackberry Curve i currently have the iphone. I was curious if anyone has switched from the iphone to a BB and what the pro's and con's are about switching. I love the Iphone but the damn touch screen keyboard is just a pain to type on (im refered to as the text messaging queen i use over 5000 a month) any advise would be wonderful thank you

Nikki
    04-18-08 03:11 PM
    I switched from an iPhone and I'm never going back. The BB is an excellent messaging device. I also find a real qwerty keyboard better than the iPhone's virtual keyboard. I find it much easier and faster to type on a BB. The only disappointment is the built in BB web browser. The iPhone's web browser is far superior but if you install Opera on your BB you'll be good to go. The best thing I like about the BB is the loud VOLUME, you can actually hear your phone ring unlike the iPhone's crappy speaker. Now I rarely miss a call. Whatever you decide their both good phones you just have to choose the one that best suits your needs. Good luck!
    Last edited by JD914; 04-18-08 at 03:49 PM.
    04-18-08 03:40 PM
    Opera mini browser is free by the way. Wow u do text a lot! BB Curve is the way to go!!! You might miss YouTube though...
    04-18-08 04:00 PM
    Opera mini browser is free by the way. Wow u do text a lot! BB Curve is the way to go!!! You might miss YouTube though...
    You can still watch youtube thru Blueapple.mobi so nothing is missed there.
    04-18-08 04:44 PM
    A few folks have switched from iphone to the curve and haven't looked back since. Depends what your main usage is I would say but I think the curve is a very good all around device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-08 04:48 PM
    I had an iPhone for 7 months and switched to bb's. Had the 8703, 8830, 8130 and waiting on the Curve. Don't miss the iPhone at all, I was afraid that I would. Get the best of both worlds, get any BB and and iPod touch!!!
    04-18-08 07:07 PM
    I cant wait for my curve either still on my pearl
    04-18-08 07:20 PM
    Even better than blueapple.mobi is the fact that you can use the real m.youtube.com when OS 4.5 finally rolls out.
    04-18-08 07:23 PM
    I hope 4.5 comes out in my lifetime!! lol
    04-18-08 07:26 PM
    You can still watch youtube thru Blueapple.mobi so nothing is missed there.
    not as seemless...
    04-18-08 07:27 PM
    I made the switch...

I love it, but miss WiFi. I then got the 8320 and as soon as I can get it unlocked, I'll be using it for WiFi.

I love the BB for a couple of reasons:

* Fast push mail (non-yahoo account as the iPhone pushes on yahoo mail)
    * BB messenger
    * Viigo
    * Stable (reception wise)
    * Great camera with zoom
    * Copy and Paste

I miss a couple of things on the iPhone:

* Multitasking is so much easier and the user interface is awesome.
    * Being able to go through my personal folders with the mail program (BIS can't)
    * WiFi
    * Great browser (best in the game)
    * Great cover-flow and media
    * Huge screen

No real winner here, it all depends on your preference.
    04-18-08 08:28 PM
    My history...

BB 8300 to iPhone...

iPhone to BB...

BB to iPhone again...

iPhone to BB again...

BB to iPhone...

...sold the iPhone and have finally come back to BlackBerry, and can't see myself leaving the BB for anything else, let alone another iPhone. Nothing does the things a BlackBerry does as effectively, as simply, and as consistantly.

I'm glad to be back!!
    04-18-08 10:22 PM
    The only functions i really use on the iphone is the phone, weather (which is wrong half the time), the nternet (But only for myspace) google maps and text messaging, the camera, and the clock and alarm, other than that i dont use it for anything else. Still cant seem to make up my mind lol help!!
    04-19-08 10:33 AM
    I've had 3 iphones since the release day. I've also had nokia n95, n82. By far the bb wins. Things I like my bb over iphones are 1. 3rd party apps also you don't have to jailbreak and upgrade everytime there's a new firmware. 2. Able to copy and paste. 3. Mms.

04-19-08 10:56 AM
    Is youtube really that important???? I dont use it much.
    04-19-08 01:46 PM
    She didnt say anything about youtube.

04-19-08 02:44 PM
    You definitely wanna go with the Curve. The main functions you say that you use can all be found on the BB Curve. Don't forget to download the free Opera mini browser for web browsing (myspace). And as for text mesaging, it's so much faster and easier to type on a BB than a touch screen. I bet you send 10,000 your first month lol.

04-19-08 08:54 PM
    I want an iphone but ill never get rid of my bb!

04-19-08 09:27 PM
    I had the iphone, the only thing that was better was the internet, 1000 times better thn this awful "mobile" browser and the screen size but obviously its bigger than the curve so the screen is bigger other than tht the bb is better. i wouldnt go back
    04-19-08 10:03 PM
    Well, I went from a BB Pearl to the iPhone, and it was one of a dumbest choices I ever made. I spent two months with my iPhone and decided it just wasn't for me (I had issues with the keyboard too!) and recently switched back to my Pearl.

- This biggest pro for me is the physical keyboard on the BB. It's SO much easier to type on!
    - BB's have BB Messenger, and the iPhone currently has no chat software unless you use a web app.
    - I'm a big sucker for the option to change the theme (not to mention the color of my trackball!) on my BB. You can't do that with an iPhone.
    - You can be sure that your BB will always (I've never had any problems) sync when connected to your pc. I own a Mac and was having troubles syncing my iPhone!

There are so many more pros. I suggest you make the switch and find them out for yourself. I promise you'll love the world of Crackberry!
    04-20-08 10:21 AM
    Well I think you guys have convinced me that I NEED a BB. So once its time to upgrade i will. It is not until july but at least i can come to these forums and learn things before i even get the phone. Thank you all for your input.
    04-21-08 09:35 AM
    I have both, iPhone and a Blackberry Curve (8310)

I am enjoying the best of both worlds... (Hannah Montana)

I don't use the texting on my iPhone (keyboard sucks) unless some of my friends don't know how to listen, and they text me on that phone. I have the unlimited text family plan so all the phones on our account have unlimited texting.

I do use the iPhone in my patrol car. I play all my songs through the stereo in the vehicle.

I will tell you, the mail sucks on the iPhone, so I don't use it. It doesn't open anything.

Atleast when I get .wmv in an email, I can open it through my regular mail account, save the .wmv to my desktop and transfer the video to my Blackberry throught the DM. You cannot open any .wmv in the iTunes file.

msblueline
    04-21-08 10:08 AM
    Iphone is a king of media/browsing user interactive style phones.....BUT, BB is THE king of professional business services phones.

Decide what's important and go with it. BTW, whatever you do, I don't recommend any Windows enabled mobiles unless you wish to have 3+ soft resets a day and desire slow operation.

04-21-08 10:16 AM
    i originally had a blackberry, switched to an iphone, and now have gone back to my blackberry.

the iphone is hands down the best phone out there for internet. the browsing capabilities of the iphone are unbeatable, in my opinion. However, what caused me to switch back from the iphone to a blackberry is the iphones POOR call quality. I find my blackberry to have much better call quality and call volume.

IN my opinion, heres what makes the blackberry a better option over the iphone
    1) call quality
    2) ease of email
    3) third party apps - like aim, games, etc
    4) blackberry messenger (saves me a ton on text messages!!)
    5) easier to sync
    6) more durable
    7) smaller, lighter, easier to hold

Heres what makes the iphone better:
    1) web surfing
    2) media capabilities

honestly, thats it in a nutshell. To me, the iphone was a computer first, a phone second. IN reality, we need phones first, and computers second. A phone that has poor quality is in reality not a good phone. But, it will all come down to your personal preferences, and which features you value more. If your surfing the web 24/7 id recommend staying with the iphone.

by the way, almost forgot, the iphone is IMPOSSIBLE TO TYPE ON! talk about frustrating
    Last edited by MikeJones3054; 04-21-08 at 10:32 AM. Reason: forgot something
    04-21-08 10:27 AM
    oh i had a windows based phone and hated it got rid of it after 4 months and i had spent 500 bucks on the thing and threw it a few times i was so mad at the stupid thing. i didnt have a problem giving that phone up for the iphone. but like i said once my contract is up i will be going to the BB. I only use the internet on the phone for myspace i use the google maps hte most but at&T offers gps so that will be awesome. cant wait until july to make the switch
    04-21-08 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD