hi guys
    ive got a quick question to ask...ive recently bought an AT&T Phone and unlocked it.I am based in the Caribbean and would like to know that since my phone is unlocked, if i should be having any trouble to connect to my local mobile service provider's Blackberry Internet service? I have been told by my local provider that the problem may be that AT&T put special software on the phone (i.e the operating system,browser,certificates etc) that can only work with AT&T's data networks in the states even though my phone is unlocked.Is this the truth or are they just talking crap?
    I am receiving all my calls as normal on my local network but just cannot seem to recieve any internet data whatsoever.Would be great if someone would let me know if it is an issue with the AT&T phones or if someone is having the same issues with internet access on an unlocked curve outside the US.I'm so confused LOL
    07-11-07 12:28 AM
    Not sure how the Caribbean carriers work. But, I take it data HAS been added to your account, right?
    07-11-07 04:31 AM
    hi guys
    ive got a quick question to ask...ive recently bought an AT&T Phone and unlocked it.I am based in the Caribbean and would like to know that since my phone is unlocked, if i should be having any trouble to connect to my local mobile service provider's Blackberry Internet service? I have been told by my local provider that the problem may be that AT&T put special software on the phone (i.e the operating system,browser,certificates etc) that can only work with AT&T's data networks in the states even though my phone is unlocked.Is this the truth or are they just talking crap?
    I am receiving all my calls as normal on my local network but just cannot seem to recieve any internet data whatsoever.Would be great if someone would let me know if it is an issue with the AT&T phones or if someone is having the same issues with internet access on an unlocked curve outside the US.I'm so confused LOL
    Hello, i also bought an unlocked AT&t BB curve in new york and bring it back home (Argentina, movistar carrier)

The first thing I did ofcourse, was to install my gsm chip and telephone was working ok. I had a internet access plan, so next thing was to try out web browser, and it didn't.
    Doing some research, i found that APN settings were still configured with AT&T.
    First lesson learned is that BB doesnt configure by itself APN settings. (my treo and anyother phone does it )
    Using google, I found the correct APN settings for my carrier, I configured the phone that way (options, advanced, TCP ) and browsing was working OK.

At that time, my carrier was never aware of that I was using a BB device, so I did not have any kind of access to BIS (blackberry internet service)
    If you try to register, you will get the message "incorrect PIN and IMEI blah blah..."

I was living happy at that time, since i found the bug concerning calendar sync (outlook --> bb OK but bb --> outlook NOT OK )
    I upgraded the OS and the bug was solved, but guess what now, i cannot use anymore web browser, it seems like i'm missing some service books and the only way to do it is resending those service books, and the only way to resend it seems to be using BIS.

So this week, i'm taking my BB device to my carrier, they told me that they will activate my BB device and I should get a blackberry data plan ( wich is different to a plain data plan )

Conclusion, a bb device is not like a regular unlocked phone, where you put your gsm chip and browsing internet will work without a problem.
    It's a phone that you must talk to your carrier, tell them that you have a BB, activate it like that and probably, things will work ok.

Hope helps you.
    07-11-07 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD