Verizon has 3 insurance options, at least on their regular phones ...
    one covers malfunctions $5; one covers damage $3 (even water); and the third combines the 2 for $7.

typically it is handled by Asurion ... you are not guaranteed a new phone and you may not even get one with your carrier's logo ... and you pay the deductible ...

$7 x 12 + $50 = $134 if you have to replace your phone after one year. Compare that to their discounted pricing for phones ...

However, if you complain about the phone you receive, you might just get upgraded - my wife went from an old flip phone (LG VX5400, I think) all the way to an EnV by calling 2 times.

And when my daughter dropped her phone in the lake, there was no problem getting a replacement in 2 days ...

Personally, I will carry insurance on my phones under contract, as the price of a new one is too much for me ... when my 2 year contract expires, if there is no 'gotta have it' upgraded model available, I usually drop insurance until something better comes along ...
    If you have the 4.99 insurance plan why pay for the other if it malfunctions? Just lose the phone.
    Last edited by curve0644; 04-17-09 at 05:56 PM.
    04-17-09 05:51 PM
    you just jinxed yourself by asking about insurance....beeeee caaaaarrrrefuuuuullll.
    04-17-09 05:55 PM
    With verizon my deductable is $50. I would never get insurance if the deductable was $100.
    They changed it. Smartphones are 100 bucks now. Used to they were 50 with the other phones. Now it's 100.

EDIT: I have had to use the insurance a lot and have always gotten a new phone with the logo in perfect order. I upgrade every year though. I don't wait two years. My friend calls and gets the early upgrade every year if he signs another contract. I never tried that I usually just buy it retail. 2 years with one phone is to long for me. I could probably keep the blackberry for 2 years but I had a plam.

I get a free upgrade a year from this month. I plan on getting the best blackberry verizon has next year. I hope they have something cool. I hear they will have a new curve and a niagara. The niagara looks like the bold to me. I don't know about them like you guys do.
    Last edited by curve0644; 04-17-09 at 06:14 PM.
    04-17-09 05:57 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD