So I have had an 8320 since June 2008. I have had it replaced 4 times already. Now I'm not the type that loses his phone or ever puts himself in a position where it may get stolen. However, I called T-Mo and I asked when my manufacturer's warranty was up, and was told that I have til December of this year. Now I find that very weird because I thought the manufacturer warranty was 1 year, that's about 18 months.

Now I called again when the 3rd BB had software issues and again asked when my warranty wasup and was told mid Deceber this year.

So since I get a new phone almost every year, and the 8900 IS next, is insurance really even an option? After all doesn't Chris Rock say insurance should be called "In case of s**t"? If you take care of ur things, shouldn't you avoid insurance anyway?

I've saved myself 5.99 or whatever it is a month and then having to pay 110.00 when its stolen or damaged. And if warranties run longer than stated, I guess insurance really is a scam?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 10:33 PM
    If you have your BB 3 months, and you drop it into the sink on accident, you've really spent $18 on a new phone... I always vote for insurance.
    04-16-09 10:35 PM
    I have never carried insurance on any phone I have owned.
    04-16-09 11:06 PM
    I would bet the reason you still have a warranty is because they have been replacing yours thru the warranty, which is just extending your warranty out a bit longer.

How long til you can actually renew your contract? I always take the insurance, because you just never know what could happen. Accidents do happen
    04-16-09 11:09 PM
    I have never carried insurance on any phone I have owned.
    But you are very responsible
    04-16-09 11:09 PM
    I have kids and grandkids, insurance for repairs or replacement is cheap peace-of-mind.

04-16-09 11:33 PM
    Dosent matter how responsible you are accidents happen
    That's why they are called accidents

You cannot control them just a part of daily life
    I have never not had insurance on a pda device.

I just sleep better knowing I can get a replacement if anything happens

04-16-09 11:34 PM
    Insure it. It's just worth it. I have Verizon and it used to be 50 bucks fee for a new phone with insurance. Now blackberries have went up to 100 bucks. Which sucks but better than the retail price. I paid for mine in the middle of my contact. My blackberry curve with taxes and a car charger cost me 659 bucks. It would SUCK if I broke it or lost it so I got the insurance. With warranties you have to send it off and wait don't you? I don't like that because I can't go without my phone. With the insurance I'll pay 100 bucks and have a new phone in 3 days. I take good care of my phone but never know. I just spend the 5 bucks to make sure I don't have to pay 600 bucks for a new blackberry. Because if that happened I couldn't afford it and I'd have to downgrade and I don't know if I could go back to a regular phone. I have a palm centro as backup and don't even want to have to go back to that. I'm in love with my blackberry.
    04-16-09 11:51 PM
    If you have your BB 3 months, and you drop it into the sink on accident, you've really spent $18 on a new phone... I always vote for insurance.
    Yeah, but he'll still have to pay for the fee. Not sure what t mobiles is but like I said verizon went up to 100 bucks on blackberries and other companies always follow along. 50 bucks on regular phones. Used to it was 50 bucks on Blackberries but when I bought this one last week they informed it went up to 100.

If you got the kinda money to buy a blackberry retail price a few times then don't get it. Yeah I paid retail for mine but that was a once in a life time thing I couldn't afford to ever do it again.
    04-16-09 11:53 PM
    See, people are finding that in many cases about the deductible.

Folks were ragging the Sprint crowd, that we were getting screwed by the increased deductible, and here you have it on Verizon, too. Did they even let their customers know?

04-17-09 12:13 AM
    See, people are finding that in many cases about the deductible.

Folks were ragging the Sprint crowd, that we were getting screwed by the increased deductible, and here you have it on Verizon, too. Did they even let their customers know?

They let you know when you buy a new one. Not if you already got it. I wish it was still 50 bucks that wasn't bad at all but 100 is pushing it. Still better than paying retail though. Like i said I paid 600 for my phone retail but I treat it like it's gold because I paid so much for it. I have dropped it twice so far but it was on carpet. Don't matter how careful it happens.
    04-17-09 12:28 AM
    I got the insurance because I pretty much got the phone for free with rebates and stuff, so I didn't want to pay full retail if something did happen. Also at 5.99 a month, I will probably have upgraded to a new phone by the time I would have paid enough insurance premiums to equal the cost of a replacement for this one at retail.

04-17-09 12:36 AM
    I didn't even read the OP, but I don't need to. Get the insurance. If you use it once it's worth at least a whole years worth of that $7 a month. Also, get it while you can. You have like 30 days to get it after you get a new phone, and you can't get it after that. Also, whenever you drop the insurance you can't get it back.
    04-17-09 02:19 AM
    But you are very responsible

I am

Dosent matter how responsible you are accidents happen
    That's why they are called accidents
    Still doesn't matter. If I killed the phone right now I can replace it at less
    than the deductible and insurance. That is why insurance is a non-issue for me.
    04-17-09 02:22 AM
    you are more than likely going to get a refurb from insurance, so might as well just buy a phone off ebay if something happens.. cheaper than $7 a month in the longterm and cheaper than $500+ for full retail... with that said, of course i have insurance
    04-17-09 02:26 AM
    Maybe I misunderstood, but if I buy my bb with a contract extension I paid 249.99+a 110.00 deductible if I file a damage claim. Plus water damage isn't covered! So basically ur SOL if you drop it in water.

So how is one only really payin $18 for it?

04-17-09 08:25 AM
    I would bet the reason you still have a warranty is because they have been replacing yours thru the warranty, which is just extending your warranty out a bit longer.

How long til you can actually renew your contract? I always take the insurance, because you just never know what could happen. Accidents do happen
    I actually thought that was the case, however they said no, that that's when the warranty would have expired no matter what. Also I learned a cool little tidbit of info. Every time that they have replaced my BB, I have 7 days from the day I receive it to enroll in insurance.

04-17-09 08:27 AM
    Maybe I misunderstood, but if I buy my bb with a contract extension I paid 249.99+a 110.00 deductible if I file a damage claim. Plus water damage isn't covered! So basically ur SOL if you drop it in water.

I think it was just an example if something happened in 3 months time, that would be the cost. And either way, paying a deductible is always cheaper than having to buy your phone out at full retail price
    04-17-09 08:41 AM

I wasnt including the deductible, but even at $100, $118 compared to $550+ is very lucrative, and hard to say no to. Furthermore, I'm not too experienced with T-Mobile, but the Verizon insurance covers everything... I believe.
    04-17-09 08:47 AM
    I wasnt including the deductible, but even at $100, $118 compared to $550+ is very lucrative, and hard to say no to. Furthermore, I'm not too experienced with T-Mobile, but the Verizon insurance covers everything... I believe.
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. And thanks everyone for the input. Really appreciate it.
    04-17-09 10:30 AM

Mine covers water damage. I know because I washed my Palm in my pants in the washer. Forgot to take it out of pockets. Insured should take care of any thing. Rather it be damage or you losing it or whatever.

And I mean if you did water damage and for some reason your carrier doesn't want to cover it, just say you lost it right? I mean I'm an honest guy and all but if I pay the insurance it's going to be insured no matter what happens. Although me having water damage has never been an issue. I've had it happen on AT&T and Verizon and they replaced it.
    04-17-09 01:09 PM
    Verizon has 3 insurance options, at least on their regular phones ...
    one covers malfunctions $5; one covers damage $3 (even water); and the third combines the 2 for $7.

typically it is handled by Asurion ... you are not guaranteed a new phone and you may not even get one with your carrier's logo ... and you pay the deductible ...

$7 x 12 + $50 = $134 if you have to replace your phone after one year. Compare that to their discounted pricing for phones ...

However, if you complain about the phone you receive, you might just get upgraded - my wife went from an old flip phone (LG VX5400, I think) all the way to an EnV by calling 2 times.

And when my daughter dropped her phone in the lake, there was no problem getting a replacement in 2 days ...

Personally, I will carry insurance on my phones under contract, as the price of a new one is too much for me ... when my 2 year contract expires, if there is no 'gotta have it' upgraded model available, I usually drop insurance until something better comes along ...
    04-17-09 02:37 PM
    This is what I do with all my phones. I always get insurance. When I am eligible for an upgrade, I call my insurance and get the phone replaced because it usually has some visual damange or some other problem. They send me a new looking refurbished phone, and I ebay it for lets say $200.00. This $200.00 pays for my insurance that I paid through the months, plus a little extra!
    04-17-09 03:41 PM
    Well, if for whatever reason you have had to replace your phone 4 times in less than a year, and YES you NEED the insurance! With that being said, if you just have bad luck 4 times over, and its not something you are doing, than I wouldn't bother with the insurance.

Each and every time VZ conned me into insurance I ended up kicking myself in the **** for falling for the scam again! They ahve 3 different insurance plans, and god forfib you pick the wrong one since the tools in the store don't know the difference. I couldn't even get a replacement battery (or replacement PDA for that matter) when I had the insurance cuz I had the 4.99 a month insurance, and not the $5.99 plan and apparently actually provides coverage.

Anyway, here is some quick math that will have each and everyone here canceling their plan with the quickness.

$100 deductable
    $5.99 / Mo Insurance (MFG warranty the first year) = 5.99 * 12 = 71.88
    Total outlay for 1st year coverage (Just gets you a repaired phone faster in the first year) = $171.88

Cost to break your contract? $175

Now you tell me, are you so sure you will break your phone that paying the $5.99 a month to save the $3.12 on the replacement and 2 weeks of time is worth it for you?

I don't carry insurance anymore, I break contracts Besides, if an item is designed to be carried all over the place can't survive I don't really want to bother replacing it for the 100th time before I suck it up and spend the money on something that won't break.

So I have had an 8320 since June 2008. I have had it replaced 4 times already. Now I'm not the type that loses his phone or ever puts himself in a position where it may get stolen. However, I called T-Mo and I asked when my manufacturer's warranty was up, and was told that I have til December of this year. Now I find that very weird because I thought the manufacturer warranty was 1 year, that's about 18 months.

Now I called again when the 3rd BB had software issues and again asked when my warranty wasup and was told mid Deceber this year.

So since I get a new phone almost every year, and the 8900 IS next, is insurance really even an option? After all doesn't Chris Rock say insurance should be called "In case of s**t"? If you take care of ur things, shouldn't you avoid insurance anyway?

I've saved myself 5.99 or whatever it is a month and then having to pay 110.00 when its stolen or damaged. And if warranties run longer than stated, I guess insurance really is a scam?

04-17-09 03:57 PM
    Well, if for whatever reason you have had to replace your phone 4 times in less than a year, and YES you NEED the insurance! With that being said, if you just have bad luck 4 times over, and its not something you are doing, than I wouldn't bother with the insurance.

Each and every time VZ conned me into insurance I ended up kicking myself in the **** for falling for the scam again! They ahve 3 different insurance plans, and god forfib you pick the wrong one since the tools in the store don't know the difference. I couldn't even get a replacement battery (or replacement PDA for that matter) when I had the insurance cuz I had the 4.99 a month insurance, and not the $5.99 plan and apparently actually provides coverage.

Anyway, here is some quick math that will have each and everyone here canceling their plan with the quickness.

$100 deductable
    $5.99 / Mo Insurance (MFG warranty the first year) = 5.99 * 12 = 71.88
    Total outlay for 1st year coverage (Just gets you a repaired phone faster in the first year) = $171.88

Cost to break your contract? $175

Now you tell me, are you so sure you will break your phone that paying the $5.99 a month to save the $3.12 on the replacement and 2 weeks of time is worth it for you?

I don't carry insurance anymore, I break contracts Besides, if an item is designed to be carried all over the place can't survive I don't really want to bother replacing it for the 100th time before I suck it up and spend the money on something that won't break.

With verizon my deductable is $50. I would never get insurance if the deductable was $100.
    04-17-09 04:04 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD