Hi, I've had my Curve for a month or so now and have noticed that it sometimes does not display the details for a contact when receiving an incoming call. It is also a bit choosy when it comes to using the Important Calls profile. The people who are calling me have never changed their settings to hide their number etc. Is this a network thing??? (O2 - UK).

Thanks,

K
    09-22-07 10:27 AM
    71 views and no replies, I guess it's just me then ????
    09-24-07 12:50 PM
    U know.. I got that JUST now after I did a SYNCH....

i read about that somewhere but cant recall where.. ill keep researching
    09-25-07 11:23 PM
    I'm guessing this only happens if your BB is locked when the call comes in, right? If so, try going to Options/Security/General Settings and disable the Content Protection. That should take care of it.

Once you know if that fixes it, you can try re-enabling content protection and changing "include address book" to no. Then test it that way and see if it works for you.
    09-26-07 08:33 AM
    Hi, By default ur handheld will display all calls and show calls placed or received n the Messages screen. If that not the case then
    - From the handheld home screen, click Phone icon. The phone screen appears.
    - Click the trackwheel and click Options. The Phone Option screen appears
    - Click Call Logging. The Call Logging screen appears.
    - Scroll to Show Logs In Message List field, and click the Space bar to change option to No.
    - Scroll the trackwheel to select the types of calls that you want to display

- By default, all types of calls (Incoming Calls)
    - Outgoing Calls
    - Attempted Calls
    - Missed Calls
    - Press the SPACE to select the option beside the type of call that you want to display.
    - Press SPACE again to select the option you wouldnt like todisplayed.
    - Click the trackwheel and click Save.
    Hope this helps!!
    09-26-07 10:09 AM
    I'm guessing this only happens if your BB is locked when the call comes in, right? If so, try going to Options/Security/General Settings and disable the Content Protection. That should take care of it.

Once you know if that fixes it, you can try re-enabling content protection and changing "include address book" to no. Then test it that way and see if it works for you.
    Well done Tevansen, problem solved. It would appear that having the address book protected prevented my incoming callers being recognised.

Thanks for your help!

K
    09-27-07 04:30 PM

Thanks. It works now and your help was better than the tech manuals
    11-20-07 08:27 PM
    Tevansen;

I would also like to thankyou as i was receiving this problem.
    12-10-07 09:13 AM
    I wish I had seen this post 4 mo ago when I was struggling with this problem. It took me several weeks to figure out why my caller ID didn't always work and I could have solved it in a few minutes with a search here. It makes sense that if the phone book is encrypted and the device locked that the phone can't match the phone number to a name. It is a security feature. I still have content encryption enabled but don't encrypt the phone book. Like the other poster, I don't care if anyone has my mother-in-law's or bosses or whoever's phone number.

Joe
    06-09-08 01:25 PM
    finally, the answer to the problem that i been havign for the last 3 weeks
    07-02-08 12:38 PM
    What is the advantage of having Content Protection enabled?
    07-02-08 01:00 PM
    Protecting your contents.
    07-02-08 01:02 PM
    Protecting your contents.
    In what way? Please explain...
    07-02-08 01:07 PM
    In what way? Please explain...
    Nevermind, figured it out...

Although your BlackBerry transmits data over the air very securely, it does not store data on the handheld securely, unless you enable content protection.

To enable content protection, go to Options --> Security and set Content Protection = enabled, which will also require you to enable a password.

When you enable content protection on your BlackBerry, the BlackBerry will encrypt data that it determines to be sensitive, e.g. emails, browser cache, address book entries etc. This prevents someone with physical access to your handheld, from connecting it to a PC and extracting sensitive data. This will give you piece of mind, if your handheld is lost or stolen.

When you lock your handheld, the BlackBerry will start to encrypt data, initially this may take quite some time. While the BlackBerry is encrypting data, an Open Pad Lock icon will be displayed. When the BlackBerry is finished encrypting data, the Pad Lock icon will close.

The BlackBerry will continue to encrypt new data you enter, or receive over the air.
    07-06-08 05:12 AM
    I wish I had seen this post 4 mo ago when I was struggling with this problem. It took me several weeks to figure out why my caller ID didn't always work and I could have solved it in a few minutes with a search here. It makes sense that if the phone book is encrypted and the device locked that the phone can't match the phone number to a name. It is a security feature. I still have content encryption enabled but don't encrypt the phone book. Like the other poster, I don't care if anyone has my mother-in-law's or bosses or whoever's phone number.

Joe

Ah, another example of the usefulness of CrackBerry.com!
    07-06-08 07:23 AM
    Wow I have been wondering what Content Protection is and how it works for a while now. It is really unclear as to what that is and how it works. Good problem solving!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-08 07:56 AM
    I am still having the same problem, and I noticed too it started happening since I synched my BB with my Mac, I tried going to Options/Security/General Settings but my menu is different (I have a BB Curve 9300), mine is Options/Security Options and there's no General settings option. I don't know where to disable my content protection (or just the phone book). My main problem is that when I check my call list it just displays my outgoing calls and not incoming calls, and it did before synching. Thanks!
    Last edited by majo3131; 02-09-11 at 12:58 PM.
    02-09-11 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD