I just downloaded Slacker and video and i noticed my battery drains really fast without heavy usage. It seems these media applications are battery hogs. Try not using the video or music (if you are) for a couple of days and see the battery life. My guess is that it will improve. Otherwise use a charger when at all possible while using these applications.
    03-31-09 08:28 AM
    UNBELIEVABLE.

VMan, I hope you're right. I went back to Verizon and got a refurbished 8300 on Monday (this one's actually better than the last one b/c the earpiece doesn't buzz). The same thing is happening to this phone. I purposely didn't dl any new apps to make sure it wasnt that.

I do watch a lot of video on my BB, but even if I don't watch for a day, the battery still drains. This time it's dead in 6 hrs from full with zero use and full service. The media player is turned off (closed out properly), but I have a feeling that you may be on to something. Perhaps the mere presence of such huge video files my memory card in the BB drains the battery even if they're not running. If this is the case (I'll delete all vids from the memory card to check) it might just be time for the Seido.
    04-01-09 05:56 PM
    I would back up the videos onto your computer so you don't have to lose them.

Let us know how you make out.
    04-01-09 08:27 PM
    I'd have to agree with the people that have told you to charge more often. I use my Curve for a little of everything each day and don't ever go below 50% on my battery. I forgot my iPod at home on Monday so I used Slacker all day at work. I had Slacker open (not continually playing music though) for about 7 hours and I still had more than 50% of my battery. A day doesn't go by that I don't charge my battery fully. I'd try what Bear said if it was me and after that make sure to charge the battery whenever you can throw it on the charger for 20 minutes or more. Doesn't have to be constant, but don't wait for it to get to 10-15%. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.
    04-01-09 09:44 PM
    You need to install OS .131. It will not void your warranty. And if you do have concerns then just install .77 before you take it in for warranty. Seems like you have a big memory leak that eating the battery power. OS .131 should solve the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 11:21 PM
    Mine phone battery sucks and phone is brand new, I leave to work @ 8a.m. I text and browse alot. Mostly text all day or chat on BB Messenger through out the day to my g/f. And by 3p.m my phone is about to die on last bar Is it my battery or just because Im texting and chatting so much? I also have 3 of my gmail accounts on my BB which update once in a while to see if any new messages. Any help would be appreciated.
    04-02-09 12:26 AM
    I also got the LED coverage light on and i talk on jive alot. So is this normal battery life for doing all this? lol
    04-02-09 12:53 AM
    You need to install OS .131. It will not void your warranty. And if you do have concerns then just install .77 before you take it in for warranty. Seems like you have a big memory leak that eating the battery power. OS .131 should solve the problem.

It's so bizarre to me that the same thing happens on both the original 8330 and the new (refurb) one I got. I've been reading posts all over the place and I think your idea to upgrade to .131 is my next best option. I did order the Seidio 2600 extended batt, but I hate to be slapping a band aid on this thing. I'll try the OS upgrade this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.
    04-02-09 08:42 PM
    I'm thinking of trying the upgrade to but dont want to mess with my files and brick my phone since I got verizon and not sprint
    04-02-09 09:07 PM
    Make sure you backup your phone first. The OS works on all 8330 and will not brick your phone. You can also downgrade and the restore your backup it would be like it never happened

04-02-09 10:01 PM
    Im going to post another thread, but I spoke w VZW earlier today and the tech told me that I should install 4.5.0.101, which is supported by VZW. I want to know what the differences (if any) betwen .77 and .101 are.
    04-03-09 08:31 PM
    I upgraded to .131 and my batt life still sucks. But it might be cuz i got so much running not that much but still alot. So i just bought a car charger
    04-03-09 09:02 PM
    I upgraded to .131 and my batt life still sucks. But it might be cuz i got so much running not that much but still alot. So i just bought a car charger
    And the horribly messed up thing is that RIM specs standby life at 11 days for the 8300. I get no more than 8 hrs standby without even touching the BB.
    04-03-09 11:30 PM
    i had the same problem with my 8330 curve. i had a full charge opened a pic , then it ate 10 % of my battery life. it kept draining and draining. i went upto verizon they "reset" the phone and told me if i didnt see a change to call them and they would send a new battery. so thats what i did. i got a new battery with low life on it and charged it over nite and now it works fine!
    04-04-09 01:14 AM
    The thing I just can't understand is why a battery pull results in my battery functioning normally and then a day or so later it's back to crap. Anyone have any ideas? I won't stop until I get this thing fixed or get a Niagara.
    04-04-09 02:11 PM
    If your on the latest OS then I suspect you have a hardwere problem. I get two days out of my 8330 and I'm on it all day.

04-04-09 04:07 PM
    Ok, I think I figured out the phantom battery drain mystery after about 20 hours of research and unscientific testing. The battery is perfect if I don't watch videos off of my 4GB micro SD card. If I do watch a video, then stop in the middle to pick it up later, COMPLETELY exit the media player (closing it properly), the battery fades extremely quickly. Even if I access the movie for 10 seconds and exit completely, the battery still drains severely (6 hours with no other use). If I pull the battery and don't access the media player, the battery lasts about 36 hours under extremely heavy use (phone, email, hours of Pandora, Slacker, browsing). This problem was noticed by someone on Blackberry fourms as well. I believe the media player triggers something to run in the background that's completely invisible to the user. So the new rule is that that either 1) I stop watching movies on my BB, or 2) pull the battery when I'm finished watching a movie.
    04-06-09 06:44 PM
    If you have gps make sure the location on is not set you need to set it at 911 only or the battery will drain on a constant.
    04-06-09 10:03 PM
    Bear, thanks for the response. I didn't charge either battery before I used them. I began using the BB as soon as I put the battery in (both times). I never drained the batteries fully. I was under the impression that lithium ion batteries don't need conditioning. Since I haven't yet tried drain cycles, I'll do it. It surely couldn't hurt.
    Are there any apps to help speed up the dischargin process? If so a link or even a name would be great. Other wise I guess I will just leave open all my apps and listen to music to speed it up.

04-06-09 10:16 PM
    If you have gps make sure the location on is not set you need to set it at 911 only or the battery will drain on a constant.
    i am having battery problems with my 8310... how can i turn off the gps to give that a try?

Great thread by the way!!

Alex
    04-14-09 02:08 PM
    Has anybody tried holding down the mute button..?
    Or reading!?
    Someone backkthere said something like
    DON'T let the baTtery get low, charge it frequently, whenever you get the chance
    These batteries don't like getting low, so don't let them. Your problems are returning because you are draining/stressing the battery.
    After you do that trick (drain pull batt charge for 4 hours) keep it topped up!

04-14-09 02:48 PM
    my battery life has been horrible recently, but Fire-Detention made a suggestion to check and make aure your gps is not constantly updating your location. i use google maps and you need to exit properly or the application will constantly update where you are. fixed the problem for me.
    04-16-09 12:22 PM
    Im going to post another thread, but I spoke w VZW earlier today and the tech told me that I should install 4.5.0.101, which is supported by VZW. I want to know what the differences (if any) betwen .77 and .101 are.

Did you end up going this route? And what was the result?

I just switch from a T-mobile Curve to the Verizon Curve and I'm having the same issue. I switched batteries with my Wife's 5 month old AT&T Curve, and charged them both overnight. The next day I left both BB's side-by-side NOT using them, but powered on. At the end of the day my BB was at 15% battery left, while her's using my battery was at 100%. So this issue doesn't seem to be the battery.
    04-16-09 03:56 PM
    It has to be an app. that is running and taking your battery life. I love apps, but they do take up a lot of space and battery. Especially if you have it updating often.
    04-16-09 05:34 PM
    dstar - nicely done with the follow-up to QED on your battery problem. Very helpful for many of us.
    04-16-09 09:53 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD