Sorry if this has been answered before, but could not find it elsewhere on the forum.

I'm new to BB, coming over from a Palm Treo.

I used chatteremail on Palm, and my email was pushed instantly to the treo. My email account is with everyone.net, which is IMAP. However, when i set up my everyone.net email account on the BB, it is not pushed instantly. Just how does this push thing work? Isn't gmail and yahoo imap too? If someone can enlighten me about IMAP and push, and why IMAP was pushed to my treo and not to the BB.
    02-06-08 10:47 PM
    it's still push except that the time it gets pushed is random; you get about 3 or 5 emails all at one time in specific intervals; it usually starts at 5 mins then to 15 mins tops; yahoo is pop; with gmail you either have the option to activate IMAP or just carry on with the default pop which is push; there still is no support for IMAP idle i guess
    02-07-08 09:42 AM
    I call that pull then. Push is instant.
    02-07-08 05:50 PM
    I've always view it like this:

Pull - you push a button on your device to send/receive your emails

Push - no need to send/receive. emails arrive on your device automatically.

In the case of IMAP - your emails are POLLED by RIM's servers at a RIM defined interval and PUSHED onto your device.

I don't think push necessarily has to be instant, just without the need for us to do a "send/receive".
    02-07-08 06:08 PM
    02-07-08 07:46 PM
    got it but at least it feels like it's push
    02-07-08 09:06 PM
    I too had a Treo that had email pushed to it, which came in within seconds. Now that same email takes up to 15 minutes to come in. Does that have to with the fact that the provider does not have push capabilities to BB, but to Treo? Curious.
    02-07-08 09:58 PM
    I too had a Treo that had email pushed to it, which came in within seconds. Now that same email takes up to 15 minutes to come in. Does that have to with the fact that the provider does not have push capabilities to BB, but to Treo? Curious.
    It has to do with the email client. The email client on the BB does not support it. Apparently there is not a client that supports IMAP (specifically the IMAP IDLE command). I'm guessing that RIM doesn't want that since it would cut into their BES business. On the other hand, RIM seems to be doing more and more consumer friendly "things" lately so maybe we'll get full IMAP support yet.
    02-07-08 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD