I have a Blackberry 8330 Curve and an unlimited plan (MTS in Manitoba, Canada) for texting in North America. I have downloaded Windows Live Messenger and would like to know the cost of Instant Messaging. My provider, MTS, does not have a plan for this. Does Windows Live charge for it or is it free and if so, in what area or for what distance? Thanks.
    01-17-10 09:27 AM
    Do you have a data plan? Instant messaging apps take out of your data plan and not your texting plan. So if you have unlimited data you are fine using MSN.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 09:41 AM
    IM applications use DATA.
    01-17-10 09:50 AM
    This is all Greek to me.
    I have an Insider Plus5 - 350 Plan.
    According to the info they sent me when I enquired, I have:
    1. Unlimited email while in Canada
    2. Unlimited text while in North America
    3. Blackberry Messenger in Canada

Where in all that does the data plan fit?

Thanks.
    01-17-10 09:57 AM
    This is all Greek to me.
    I have an Insider Plus5 - 350 Plan.
    According to the info they sent me when I enquired, I have:
    1. Unlimited email while in Canada
    2. Unlimited text while in North America
    3. Blackberry Messenger in Canada

Where in all that does the data plan fit?

Thanks.
    You have the correct support plan in place.

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is used for Email, Messenger and most third party applications. Most plans will also include the Internet Browser.

You will continue to use SMS text for your non-BlackBerry contacts, but you will see a huge increase in features if you use BlackBerry Messenger or one of the IM clients.
    01-17-10 10:09 AM
    I pay for the BIS, so does that mean I can use Windows Live Messenger for Instant Messaging without an extra charge? What is the area of coverage?
    01-17-10 10:16 AM
    Yes, Windows Live is one of the third party applications that uses your BIS connection and your data.

I use several clients including Yahoo Messenger to stay in touch with my computer only contacts, including North America, Europe and Australia. It is all part of our data connection, there are no additional charges as long as you do not exceed your data allotment.
    01-17-10 10:23 AM
    Anywhere you get data as part of your plan you can use windows live at no additional charge. Windows live is included in your data plan. If you are getting email at no charge other than what is part of your plan you can use window live ay no additional charge. I hope this makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 10:27 AM
    Thanks for being so helpful and patient with me folks. I think just one last question: is the 350 mins. my data plan? I don't see anywhere an amount of time or space other than that.
    Oops. maybe 2 questions - it says in my info that I can IM/Blackberry Messenger as long as I'm within Canadian borders. So, it's only good in Canada?
    01-17-10 10:39 AM
    Your 350 minutes covers VOICE PHONE CALLS.

Data is separate and is unlimited on your plan in Canada.
    01-17-10 10:57 AM
    Okay, think I've got it now. Don't know why they don't say "data" on the plan or the bill - just says talk, email and text (BB Messenger) Plan. I didn't realize until recently that I didn't have a regular text plan. I only know 2 other people who have Blackberries - so the BB Messenger isn't all that good for me. I have lots of freiends across Canada tho and some want to IM instead of text so this will work fine.

Thank you again.
    01-17-10 11:22 AM
    Okay, think I've got it now. Don't know why they don't say "data" on the plan or the bill - just says talk, email and text (BB Messenger) Plan. I didn't realize until recently that I didn't have a regular text plan. I only know 2 other people who have Blackberries - so the BB Messenger isn't all that good for me. I have lots of freiends across Canada tho and some want to IM instead of text so this will work fine.

Thank you again.
    That is likely to change, you are part of a International community of people that share at least one common interest, we chose BlackBerry.

Odds are good, you will find plenty of use by this time next year.
    01-17-10 11:39 AM
    I'm also on MTS. 350 mins is you voice minutes. your plan appears to cover messaging only (MSN, AIM, BBM, email, text and that sort of thing) but it does NOT appear to cover browsing/surfing. I believe that that one is the next one on the price list. I believe that you will be charged for browsing but I could be wrong on this. Feel free to PM me if you want some help figuring this out. Or call customer support on monday when they open up :P
    01-17-10 12:14 PM
    My Plan says:
    Talk, Email & Surf Plan
    - 350 weekday minutes
    - Unlimited Email access - across Canada
    - Unlimited surfing browsing downloading and messaging (BB)
    - Unlimited local and long distance calls between MTS Mobility customers
    - Unlimited local calls between any 5 people of your choice - any provider. mobile or landline
    - Unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm
    - Voicemail Lite - 3 one-minute messages

I also bought a text plan and have unimited texting anywhere in North America
    01-17-10 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD