Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default I'm scared my **** will dial 911

But_ dial..

Weird question but, you know when you lock your keyboard, and if you press the trackball.. It'll say Unlock Emergency call or Cancel?
    We'll, I'm scared to put my BB in my pocket, because I don't wanna **** dial 911.
    And since I don't wanna try it just to know what's gonna happen.. I'm asking you all..

What does it do when you select Emergency call when the keyboards lock? Does it call 911 right away? What?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Mr. X

Global Posts
    13,901 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of beer please!

Instead of locking your keyboard you can put the phone in Standby by pressing the Mute key at the top of the phone. This has the added advantage of making your battery last longer. When in Standby, the phone won't respond to any keyboard button press, or trackball press. It will respond to a press of any of the 4 top home row keys, but only as a pop-up screen that says the phone is in Standby, and to press the Mute key to exit Standby.

Oh, in case you are wondering, you will continue to receive all calls and messages while in Standby Mode.
    A little obsessive...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    PIN
    22928E0F

No when it is clicked it asks you if you really want to call. You shouldn't have a problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by xliderider View Post
    Instead of locking your keyboard you can put the phone in Standby by pressing the Mute key at the top of the phone. This has the added advantage of making your battery last longer. When in Standby, the phone won't respond to any keyboard button press, or trackball press. It will respond to a press of any of the 4 top home row keys, but only as a pop-up screen that says the phone is in Standby, and to press the Mute key to exit Standby.

Oh, in case you are wondering, you will continue to receive all calls and messages while in Standby Mode.
    I'll try it see if I like it lol
    But I thought that it would "un-mute" the phone when you receive an message, making it prone to but* dialing.. Hence I never used it before..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    No when it is clicked it asks you if you really want to call. You shouldn't have a problem.
    Ah! That's what I wanted to know! Thank you so so much!
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    331990A0

Quote Originally Posted by MissHannah View Post
    I'll try it see if I like it lol
    But I thought that it would "un-mute" the phone when you receive an message, making it prone to but* dialing.. Hence I never used it before..
    The mute button does mute the ringer when pressed, but hold it until is says entering standby mode.

As stated, once in standby mode no buttons wake the phone except pressing the mute button again.

msblueline
    msblueline: "ms" Does not stand for Ms., Miss., or Mrs. It stands for Mississippi

www.twitter.com/msblueline
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask :)

haha i was interested in this one day so i grabbed my friends blackberry and tried it and it said are you sure? i was relieved my friends samsung instinct dials right away
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    331990A0

Quote Originally Posted by bedaweed View Post
    haha i was interested in this one day so i grabbed my friends blackberry and tried it and it said are you sure? i was relieved my friends samsung instinct dials right away
    For people who don't want an accidental call to 911 it is great.

For someone who is running for their life and wants 911...NOW!, that extra step might seem like an eternity to them.

msblueline
    msblueline: "ms" Does not stand for Ms., Miss., or Mrs. It stands for Mississippi

CrackBerry Newbie

Seriously, is there a way to disable the trackball\911 feature. I've had my BB for about 6 weeks now and I've already called 911 many times without realizing it. Sometimes, I catch it dialing 911 and I quickly hang up - but the 911 service always calls me back to see if it was a legitimate call.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts

lol yea I've called 911 from my pocket myself,. was nice to see they called back and left a message to tell me that if it was an emergency to call them back.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    331990A0

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    Seriously, is there a way to disable the trackball\911 feature. I've had my BB for about 6 weeks now and I've already called 911 many times without realizing it. Sometimes, I catch it dialing 911 and I quickly hang up - but the 911 service always calls me back to see if it was a legitimate call.
    Why don't you use the case that came with it, or lock it. You can tell it to not allow calls while it is locked.

As stated in the thread above, you can also press and hold the mute button until it goes into standby mode, it will not dial while in standby.

The case puts it to sleep, and keypad is covered.

Welcome to CB

msblueline

CrackBerry Newbie

it happens when i remove it from its case and i'm attempting to call a number without putting my reading glasses on. if i could just disable it, then problem solved.