Hey All,

I am new to the site and just got my BlackBerry 8320 Curve (TMo).

I have the Hotspot@Home service and I am a tech savvy person (computer engineer).

Anyways, I was wondering if there was some way to IM over WiFi on my Curve. I can call using UMA and get online using the Blackberry Web Browser, but TMo Blackberry Support said all IMs go thru the BlackBerry Service (and I do not wanna pay for the BB internet and email service).

Also, is there some way to check my personal email without the BB service.

All help is greatly appreciated!!
    05-27-08 11:30 AM
    You can use web based instant messaging. Likewise, if you want to check email, use the thin-client site from your email host. Kind of a waste to have the blackberry without the email service though (only $9.99/month)
    05-27-08 01:33 PM
    Welcome to CB z3bum has a point TMo has the cheapest bb plans out there.
    05-27-08 01:36 PM
    i agree its pretty much a waste if you have a bb and dont get the data plan
    05-27-08 01:40 PM
    BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go <-- IM over wifi, but not free, very highly recommended.
    05-27-08 01:43 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Sweet combination, UMA means unlimited voice and data, but without the BlackBerry plan.

There will be some limitations, but the Browser is quite capable. You will have to select a web based Email service. From there, you can set your POP account to screen and forward the high priority messages to your mobile account.

The big problem is likely to be third party applications. All the applications worth loading will require the BlackBerry infrastructure to initialize before they work. That may change in time, but be prepared to rule most of the cool stuff.
    05-27-08 03:55 PM
    BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go <-- IM over wifi, but not free, very highly recommended.
    You mean the messaging part is free but the software isnt, right? Apart from the 30 day trial period of course.....
    05-27-08 08:54 PM
    You mean the messaging part is free but the software isnt, right? Apart from the 30 day trial period of course.....
    Yes, messaging part is free, but you pay a one time fee of $20 for the service. well worth it.
    as for the BB data plan, not having that on you BB is useless. You should get the data plan to use the full capabilities of your BB, especially if your a tech savvy guy.
    05-27-08 08:58 PM
    I have the Tmo email only plan which is all I really need. And now if JiveTalk works with wifi then I dont need a data plan at all! Heck whats the point having a wifi phone otherwise [] I'm almost always on one wifi connection or the other and I can browse the internet very well over that so I'm all set to get JT now!
    05-27-08 09:02 PM
    Yes, messaging part is free, but you pay a one time fee of $20 for the service. well worth it.
    as for the BB data plan, not having that on you BB is useless. You should get the data plan to use the full capabilities of your BB, especially if your a tech savvy guy.

I would say to get the $30 license. If you switch berries (lost/stolen/damage or upgrade), you lose the license. You can also google coupons to drop it $5.
    05-27-08 09:41 PM
    welcome to the addiction!
    05-27-08 09:43 PM
    Alright folks...just got off JT after chatting with a few friends over wifi I can confirm that JT does indeed work over wifi...only thing to confirm is that I didnt get billed for messages ...doesnt seem likely to happen but I shall find that out soon enough...
    05-27-08 10:08 PM
    The big problem is likely to be third party applications. All the applications worth loading will require the BlackBerry infrastructure to initialize before they work. That may change in time, but be prepared to rule most of the cool stuff.
    I have been advised that JiveTalk does work over Wifi, once you have it activated. Activation requires BB, there is no way around it. Without the plan, it will not activate.
    05-28-08 10:47 AM
    Also welcome to crackberry.com
    05-28-08 11:27 AM
    Haha... thanks everyone for your amazing responses. I would really like to add on a data plan to my CrackBerry, especially since TMo offers the best data plans. (I just don't know if it is totally worthwhile for me right now because I am at my computer most of the day)

I was just wondering if there was an easy was around it by taking advantage of the built-in WiFi (so I started this thread for ideas)
    06-04-08 09:03 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Sweet combination, UMA means unlimited voice and data, but without the BlackBerry plan.

There will be some limitations, but the Browser is quite capable. You will have to select a web based Email service. From there, you can set your POP account to screen and forward the high priority messages to your mobile account.

And how would I go about doing this method you are speaking of. I would like to have access to my personal GMail account on my Curve... my work email is not as important because I am at or around a computer all day and when I am at home or away from work I don't want to get work email... hahaha.

Thanks for your help!
    06-04-08 09:05 AM
    The first hurdle is accepting the limitations of a BlackBerry without a data plan. If you do not need the pushed email feature and you do not need third party applications, you can live without the plan.

UMA is a feature that uses Wifi access for voice and data. Data in this case is Browser specific, the IM clients require a BB plan for their data or to initialize after installation (JiveTalk).

I am using the mobile version of Google with web based Gmail. It works very well, but there are no provisions for attachments or viewing attachments, text only. Financial information, weather and current news are readily available.

Start by creating an iGoogle account on your desktop. From there, you can create or append your Gmail account and configure your place settings.

On your BlackBerry, navigate to Google, you will be redirected to the Mobile Browser version automatically. Sign in using the same ID/password and enjoy.
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-04-08 at 10:38 AM.
    06-04-08 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD