I plan to try out Pete's advice with my next upgrade, but I'm pretty happy with .55. It's a real stable version. Got great memory management - video and voice memo work great. UMA works OK, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-08 08:01 AM
    Exelant, thanks for the follow up with him, not sure what we did and you did that was so different, but man. it seems like we gave him the same information and still go no where......
    08-02-08 11:35 AM
    Exelant, thanks for the follow up with him, not sure what we did and you did that was so different, but man. it seems like we gave him the same information and still go no where......
    Yester, sometimes people dont "hear" until someone else comes along, says the same thing, and the lightbulb suddenly goes on! Min spent a lot of time panicking. What's important is that he's up and running again- no matter who helped- cause thats what we're all here for.

08-02-08 11:46 AM
    I think Lex has it right -- it was a little of all of us. This place is really great when someone is in trouble and we all come together as a team to help. We're a pretty impressive bunch.
    08-02-08 01:05 PM
    Panicking can make you become a whole lot less intelligent, as I learned last night when post wipe my berry was also not recognized. Spent quite a while trying the nuked berry guide but it just didn't show up in the list, til someone on the forum advised me to try a simple reboot. Instantly fixed it, I feel kind of silly I didn't think of that myself!
    08-02-08 01:25 PM
    One must keep their wits in an emergency, Matt. Wait until something you design does the exact opposite of what you intended. That always seems to happen when you have a bunch of witnesses.
    08-02-08 01:31 PM
    One must keep their wits in an emergency, Matt. Wait until something you design does the exact opposite of what you intended. That always seems to happen when you have a bunch of witnesses.
    True story here, I was in FIRST and I designed a control algorithm that could track a target using a digital camera and launch hard foam balls at it. After hours of heavy work I ran the program and called to one of the skeptical engineers to tell him to watch, only to have the program go crazy and reverse fire the ball in to my face.

He never let me live it down!
    08-02-08 01:37 PM
    Oh I know. I work at a wastewater treatment plant with a pretty complex scada system. We are in the middle of a plant expansion and our engineering firm has a full time electrical engineer designing and building control screens for each piece of equipment, process area, etc., And daily he misses something and we have to talk him through redoing his control strategies. It's kind of fun because he has no sense of humor and my operators are all about teasing. Each day is another episode of the Blue Collar Guys and the Professor, . The hardest thing for me is keeping a straight face when he comes to me to complain about those a**h*le's attitudes.
    08-02-08 02:03 PM
    edit: I didn't notice there were several more pages.

Good to hear you have a working device again.

I suspect you were getting confused while attempting find the vendor file. The last part of the path places you in Apploader, that is why you can not see a seperate directory named Apploader.

6. try deleting the Vendor.xml file then plug blackberry back in and launch apploader.

You are almost there. I presume you have successfully installed v4.5, but you have missed the final preperation step.

Navigate to: c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Scroll down to the bottom and delete the Vendor.xml file.

Confirm it by posting the last file name in the directory.

Last edited by Stoner; 08-02-08 at 02:33 PM.
    08-02-08 02:19 PM
    I am glad the OP got the old OS working and the 8320 is back to normal. I am concerned why people so inexperienced are trying to upgrade. This should be a lesson to new blackberry users looking to dive right into an OS upgrade. You should read alot about every step of the process before you even consider it.

I still think the OP could have gotten 4.5 installed, definately missed doing something. If you installed the 4.5 os to your PC, removed the 4.2 OS. wiped the berry...then the deleted vendor.xml and loaded DM and apploader it should have prompted to install and youre done.

Oh well, atleast it ended with a happy ending
    08-02-08 02:56 PM
    Wow tried installing a Beta OS after having your Blackberry for 3 days? Brave man
    hahah, this right here is hilarious.
    08-02-08 05:20 PM
    Again, I'm glad min is up and running. I gotta say up until yesterday I carried a so-so outlook on the forums but this thread put all of that to bed.

It sure is great to be part of a community where everyone is helpful - wish it was like this in our tangible world.

Later Gators,

Raymond
    08-02-08 06:16 PM
    Glad all is good, and glad we were all here to help.
    08-02-08 09:02 PM
    Glad all is good, and glad we were all here to help.
    Yes! Thank you for the compliment yesterday, but I really think he did what you all advised him to do before I got there, and I didn't have anything to do with it, . The biggest thing is keeping your cool.

Anyway, thanks for kind words,
    Mike
    08-03-08 03:47 PM
    Bumping this for newbies to read.
    08-06-08 01:04 PM
    Reading this post really showed what can go wrong when trying to upgrade. It helped me stay calm and not panic like a manic when I upgraded to 4.5. Went flawlessly and I'm now enjoying video and html.
    08-07-08 07:50 PM
    when you try to turn on the phone does it ask you to reset ????i think i can help
    08-17-08 12:44 PM
    Oh I know. I work at a wastewater treatment plant with a pretty complex scada system. We are in the middle of a plant expansion and our engineering firm has a full time electrical engineer designing and building control screens for each piece of equipment, process area, etc., And daily he misses something and we have to talk him through redoing his control strategies. It's kind of fun because he has no sense of humor and my operators are all about teasing. Each day is another episode of the Blue Collar Guys and the Professor, . The hardest thing for me is keeping a straight face when he comes to me to complain about those a**h*le's attitudes.
    NICE - I 'll bet the PE says "USE the HOA until we figure this out" and then 20 consultants later, you get "What do you think will work here?"
    08-19-08 11:21 AM
    More like H-O because auto won't work, and he can't figure out the sequence it should come on in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 11:41 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD