I did a quick search for this but didn't get an answer.

If I purchase songs from I-tunes how do I get them to play on the Blackberry Curve?

It looks like the songs are in M4P format and I imagine the songs need to be in MP3 format to work on the BlackBerry.

I am having problems with my desktop manager not seeing my memory card in the phone, so I would like to transfer these via Mass Storage or windows explorer.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Chris
    04-15-08 10:18 AM
    you buy them again from a DRM-Free retailer, like amazon. there is also some software that will supposedly strip out the DRM from iTunes songs, but i havent played with it, and there are probably legality issues
    04-15-08 10:23 AM
    I think it's one way. While you can transfer your MP3's to iTunes, a song purchased from iTunes won't go the other way. I'm not a techno-phile, but I think the iTunes format is proprietary and not transferable to other media.
    04-15-08 10:24 AM
    I will not comment further but it can be done....... leave it at that....
    04-15-08 10:28 AM
    Apple has always tried to keep their customers wrapped up in a "Satin Straight Jacket".

DRM is the encoding technique used at iTunes. BlackBerry does not support DRM protected files.

Fortunately, there is a a work around.

Start by writing all your files to CD. Rip the files from that CD and you will have a DRM free copy. Those can be used directly on the BlackBerry.
    04-15-08 10:39 AM
    Can you explain how to "Rip" the files? Do you mean just copy the files from CD to the Curve or is there another process for "ripping"?

Thanks,
    Chris
    04-15-08 10:52 AM
    "ripping" refers to converting files to a different format off of a CD. You can use iTunes to rip the songs.. but if will not usually rip to mp3 unless you tell it to (I'm pretty sure there is an option anyway). If you are on a Windows PC.. you can always use Windows Media Player and rip to wma or mp3.
    Once you get them into a DRM free format, transfer them onto a media card to use on your curve. Media Manager (part of BB Desktop Manager if you fully installed it) can manage the songs you want on your media card for your curve.
    04-15-08 10:58 AM
    the problem with burning itunes to a cd, and then ripping them off is that itunes are recorded at 128-bit, which is rather low. then when you burn to cd, and then rip them back off the cd, you arent goign to get a 100% perfect copy. maybe 99%, but there will be a _slight_ degradation. your better off trying to remove the DRm from the files using something like myFairTunes7. I have never used it myself, so i dont know how well it will work. ur much better off getting future music files from amazon, or ripping them from a real cd. unless you dont care about the quality, at which point you should feel free to ignore me.
    04-15-08 10:58 AM
    There is a legal way to do this from within iTunes, DRM or not. You write the tunes to a CD as an audio disk and then rip them back off the CD to MP3s. This is very time consuming and you will chew up a load of CDs (unless you use re-writables) but it will work.
    04-15-08 01:17 PM
    You do not need cd's, buy the program Tunecab.

I will rerecord your songs in good if not better audio format.... it's removed the DRM and you can put songs on the BB.

I didn't want to comment on this before, since it involves DRM and such. but you guys started talking first.
    04-15-08 01:22 PM
    Google Tunebites
    04-15-08 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD