about a week ago i posted a thread that i needed help with my media card, i didnt get help but i managed to solve half my problem. over the weekend my usb port some how got damged and now charging it is a pain. i filed a claim with my insurance company and they will be sending me a new phone by tomorrow. what im wondering is how can i go about erasing ALL of my personal info on the phone. basically i want to erase everything apps, contacts, messages,etc. my phone wont read any media cards, i suspect theres internal hardware damage. for example since may, my phones keyboard has been somewhat damaged. at times the keyboard will input the wrong info. for example i would press "b" and "tg" would come up. i learned that with a lot of battery pulls and messing with the keyboard i could get it to go back to normal. it still bothered me but i managed to somewhat adapt to it. what would really suck though, would be the times i need my phone in a hurry and the problem would occur. typing my password in then would end up becoming a hassle. a week ago i tried updating my os to see if that would fix the problem of my phones keyboard and my phones problem of not reading any media cards. the os update did not fix either problem. so now that charging my phone has become unbearable ive decided to send it back. im wondering if the back up i used a week ago before i updated the os is still on my comp, and if it is, where would i locate it? i cant back up my phone now because im worried that the usb connection wont be stable and ill end up bricking the phone during th backup some how. i know that i can wipe the device from the options menu, but will that take care of everything. will i be able to transfer the back up data, if its still there, from my old hone to the new one?
    09-21-09 06:59 PM
    to wipe your device..

Options, security, bb key, wipe handheld.

to find the back up from last week..do a search for a .ipd file.. it will have the date if you remember ex back up-(2009-09-13).ipd

Once you wipe the handheld, it will be restored to factory settings, so no personal info will be left, remember to release the pin from your BIS also
    09-21-09 07:07 PM
    For contacts though, it would be good if you have them synced to outlook or google sync to transfer your contacts that way to your device. With a back up and restore, I dont think (dont quote me) it does anything for your contacts, when i switched, I had my contacts synced with my outlook and bought them over that way, the apps, I used to device switch wizard in DM.. You should brick your phone using that for a switch though, it either will take it, or wont do a thing but it wont brick.
    09-21-09 07:09 PM
    Try an advance back up i where you select the address book an bbm contacts, then you save as that info an when you get the new one you put your backup info in, also for wiping they allready tell you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 07:20 PM
    thanks rachel, alright so all wipe the device from the options medu. but how do i release the pin? i know that i deleted the email account from the phone. i opened up the bis and clicked delete on the account, so i dont think my email will be forwarded to the phone anymore, right? ill search for the file on my comp. i dont have desktop manager intsalled. when i updated the os last time i used some different process, i dont know how to explain it. i think it was apploader?
    09-21-09 07:22 PM
    Try an advance back up i where you select the address book an bbm contacts, then you save as that info an when you get the new one you put your backup info in, also for wiping they allready tell you

im sorry, but what do you mean? how will i transfer the date, i cant really conncet my phone to a usb because the usb port on my phone is damaged.
    09-21-09 07:23 PM
    if you removed the email you are golden..
    09-21-09 07:32 PM
    if you removed the email you are golden..
    thanks rachel =D
    09-21-09 07:33 PM
    You can also take it into VZW (if thats your carrier) and they can transfer, you said its still workable right, just finicky, they might be able to transfer the contacts if you havnt synced.
    09-21-09 07:33 PM
    Well its seems that you could use the bis web page, an the thing that i was saying was with the desktop manager, when you deleted the account of email, and when you change the decive actually the process will change alone the device pin, an letting the other free

09-21-09 07:37 PM
    Well its seems that you could use the bis web page, an the thing that i was saying was with the desktop manager, when you deleted the account of email, and when you change the decive actually the process will change alone the device pin, an letting the other free

im little confused by what you mean by lettign the other free. does verizon free my pin from my bis? ill see if i can take my old phone and then one when i get it tomorrow to a verizon store to see if they'll transfer my contacts. but im not sure i think i want to do a wipe. so im not sure.
    09-21-09 07:57 PM
    ok i think i have good news, so i found my back up file, the .ipd one from last week. it should have all my contacts on it. my question is though how will i load that file onto my new bb tomorrow?
    09-21-09 08:13 PM
    My restore didnt transfer my contacts, it transferred all other things..but

first plug the old one into DM, use device switch, it will give you the instructions when to unplug and plug in the new..

if you have issues, then use the restore.. open DM, plug in the new one, dm, advanced, back up and restore, then you will see how to restore from a back up.
    09-21-09 08:18 PM
    alright thanks
    09-21-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD