Last night I decided to finally upgrade my AT&T 8310 Curve to the 4.5.0.99 I have read and printed the threads to make sure that I follow the directions completely. I was told by other Crackberry users that I must download the latest version of Desktop Manager 4.6. I down loaded the 4.6 with media to my PC. I then plugged my berry to my PC and the Desktop Manager still read "Disconnected". I also noticed at the bottom of the screen that said PIN: None. I have uninstalled the desktop and reinstalled it. I have rebooted my laptop three times and rebooted my berry twice and still I cannot make a connection with the Desktop through my berry. I really want to upgrade and I don't want to be stuck with the 4.2 OS. There has to be somebody out there that can give me some helpful advice. I've the entire weekend free, so will somebody help me???
    11-21-08 12:48 PM
    I have uninstalled the desktop and reinstalled it.
    Did you just reinstall it, or did you redownload it? Try uninstalling completely, and redownloading, I suggest the version without media.

Also, remember that when people search the forums later for help with this issue, they won't know the subject of this thread from the title. Please be more informative in the title to help us and the new users who will be searching. i.e. "Desktop Manager not reading device"
    11-21-08 12:55 PM
    I uninstalled it and then downloaded it again. When I get home this evening, I will uninstall it and down load it with out the media. Thanks and I will be more informative in the title Thanks. I will let you know if it worked.
    11-21-08 01:00 PM
    Downloading, saving and then installing is definitely the way to go. Do the same with the OS you're going to install. I have an upgrade link in my sig. I have also put a link here to the 101 upgrade guide. it is easier and does a good job for newer people -- follow it exactly. Don't forget to not unplug until it has finished loading and tells you so. In fact, once you have started the load, get up and go away for an hour. One thing, disable your screen saver and any idle settings you might have. PM me if you need a hand.

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 11-21-08 at 01:21 PM.
    11-21-08 01:14 PM
    I found the 4.6 version desktop manager to be a pain in the ***. It doesn't read my device at all- the new 4.7 works better, as does the 4.5 version.

And yeah, follow the link of the above poster to upgrade. It's really simple if you take your time and have something else to occupy you while it does it's thing. Watch a movie, read a book, just about anything that keeps you close incase you need to check on it but distracts you.

Good luck!
    11-21-08 04:08 PM
    I agree Navan, i am using DM 4.5 without media manager and it works great...
    11-21-08 04:11 PM
    i am using 4.7 without media manager... i like to stay updated....
    11-21-08 04:19 PM
    i am using 4.7 without media manager... i like to stay updated....
    Haha Benz, i'll get ya back...
    11-21-08 07:14 PM
    I have 4.7 on my laptop and 4.5 on my desktop. For some reason I couldn't upgrade from my laptop at all...it just wouldn't do it. Tried it through my desktop and it did it right away. Only difference between the two is Vista vs. XP.

Yay for softwear idiosyncrasies that are seemingly baseless.
    11-22-08 06:19 PM
    Well, you were right!! I have been trying to update on my laptop which has Vista and I was not successful. After your comment, I decided to try it on my daughter's PC which is Windows XP....it worked! It is now updating as I type Thank you all for your help. Hopefully, I won't need any help when the upgrade is complete. I am praying and have my fingers crossed that my berry is okay.
    11-23-08 10:13 AM
    Well, you were right!! I have been trying to update on my laptop which has Vista and I was not successful.
    *Shudder* .... And to think Vista is the only OS to be sold from now on ...
    11-23-08 11:05 AM
    Haha Benz, i'll get ya back...
    DM seems to have gotten me back, it is slower than 4.6....
    11-23-08 11:06 AM
    After you re-install DM (I am running DM 4.7 w/ media & Vista. No problems) connect your BB and click options in the upper right corner of DM then connect. Set it for USB & Bluetooth, if you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 11:48 AM
    I run vista, and have had no isses upgrading any of the 4 times. I am wondering if the user compatilibilty in the properties were checked to run as administrator. *shrugs*
    11-23-08 11:53 AM
    I run vista, and have had no isses upgrading any of the 4 times. I am wondering if the user compatilibilty in the properties were checked to run as administrator. *shrugs*
    It should not matter. You are right to shrug. Who knows? I fix PCs for a living. Was not always the case but it is now. A lot of my customers are buying new PCs and asking me to transfer their XP license. I have 6 XP systems here and one Vista 32 bit system. I run DM 4.6 on the Vista and I am able to upgrade Blackberrys. I need this system to test things for customers and to play with.

I cannot say that I enjoy working with Vista though

However as long as you are running DM 4.5 or better (4.7 is best) and you have instaled the BlackBerry OS there should not be a problem.

Try dowloading CrackMem from my signature as it will tell you if the OS is properly installed and usable.
    11-23-08 12:09 PM
    Vista is simply paranoid, IMO, lol. One has to keep an eye on it and approve changes, but I have done all of my upgrades on a Vista 32 bit laptop without any problems - knock on wood.

Something those upgrading need to keep in mind, the 101 guide I put up above is the method BlackBerry recommends. Apploader wipes your device and loads the new OS, then it reinstalls your settings and 3rd party apps -- as long as one opens the Options tab beneath the Data Preservation and Device Backup heading and ensure that the Backup Device Data Automatically During the Installation Process box is checked.

It is the simplest method, but it works very well. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 11-23-08 at 01:20 PM.
    11-23-08 01:18 PM
    I run Vista, and DM 4.6 with no problems...
    11-23-08 05:16 PM
    I have no idea why it won't upgrade from my laptop...I have my Vista and XP syncing between the two...it even syncs with my bf's Vista running PC. I've NEVER had any issues with Vista at all...I don't know why everybody's so down on it since it usually does exactly what it should...except upgrade my BB...
    11-23-08 07:42 PM
    WSell, my old laptop had vista, first it update itself and screwed with my router lol so I had to uninstall what4ever update it was, then turn off auto installs, then it wouldnt work right with ITUNES, i messed with it till I was blue in the face.. it was a new laptop too. I got a new one a few months ago, and now everything works perfect

*knocks on wood*
    11-23-08 07:46 PM
    Well, I am exceedingly happy!! After three days of trying to upgrade my 8310,
    I did it and the upgrade was smooth and painless. I can now view youtube videos on my Curve. I don't know why my laptop wouldn't upgrade my Curve, but I am certainly glad that I was able to! Thanks again to all helped!
    11-23-08 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD