Hello fellow addicts,
    my question is simple; if I have my Curve on while in flight will that be a danger to myself and others? Main reason I want to have it on is so I can watch a movie on it and maybe listen to some music. If I will make the plane crash cause my Curve is on then can I just turn my Data Service off under the Mobile Network under Options so no signal is coming and going through my Curve?

Thanks alot in advanced for the help, and sorry if its a dumb question that has been asked a million times but I'm not a freaquent flier at all! Cheers!
    07-30-08 10:35 PM
    Just go under "Manage Connections" and uncheck the box next to Mobile Network. The radio in the phone will then be off and not disturb the electronics of the plane.
    07-30-08 10:39 PM
    Thank you very much for the quick and helpful response Super Loopy!
    07-30-08 10:42 PM
    My pleasure!
    07-30-08 10:44 PM
    So far no airplane has fallen out of the sky because of a cell. phone. But just in case go to profiles>off and then go to options>data services>off.
    07-30-08 10:46 PM
    A passenger next to me on a flight from Boston to Denver kept his phone on during the flight. He was able to get reception (just 1X no EVDO) up until about 18,000 feet. Plane didnt crash either.
    07-30-08 11:52 PM
    An average of 4 cell phone calls are made/received per flight. It won't crash the plane but it might interfere with the communications on board.
    07-31-08 12:42 AM
    There is a lot of "Maybe's" and "Might’s" when dealing with anything that leaves the ground. The FCC and the FAA are overly cautious when it comes to in-flight communications. There are a lot of variables when it comes to digital communications. Basically, the cell phone will put out enough RF signal to reach the cell tower and is automatically adjusted. The FCC/FAA error on the side of safety. Most of the electronics on the aircraft are shielded from such things.
    It's also a benefit from Joe Talk-A-Lot setting in seat 35A discussing his latest problem with his prostate...
    07-31-08 12:54 AM
    I think you have better chances getting eaten by a shark then to cause a plane crash with a cell phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 01:06 AM
    Really the is no danger the fcc just doesn't want to test every phone out to see it will interfear with the equment. They just decided to not allow them (not gripein I would make the same deceion if I was in there shoes)

07-31-08 02:17 AM
    U.S. airlines alone carry on average some 2 million passengers per day. If just 1% of these passengers accidentally or deliberately leaves their cell phones on, that means some 20,000 cell phones remain on during flights every single day. Despite this, no crash has ever been definitively attributed to cell phone or gadget interference.
    07-31-08 05:20 AM
    There is a lot of "Maybe's" and "Might�s" when dealing with anything that leaves the ground. The FCC and the FAA are overly cautious when it comes to in-flight communications. There are a lot of variables when it comes to digital communications. Basically, the cell phone will put out enough RF signal to reach the cell tower and is automatically adjusted. The FCC/FAA error on the side of safety. Most of the electronics on the aircraft are shielded from such things.
    It's also a benefit from Joe Talk-A-Lot setting in seat 35A discussing his latest problem with his prostate...
    He is right about this. There is another reason which has nothing to do with airplanes. It's also because if everybody had their cell phones on and were making phone calls it would cause problems with the cell towers. When you are driving in a car your cell phone moved from cell tower to cell tower and there is a handshaking that goes on between these towers as you switch. I can go on and on about how this works, but I would just bore you to sleep. Anyways, in a plane you are hundred of miles in the air and you are within line of sight of several cell towers. What happens is the towers get confused on who should be handling your service. With just a couple of people it's that big of a deal, but if several people are doing it at once it can cause problems. You have a better chance winning the lottery than crashing a plane with your cell phone. The power that your BB transmits is not strong enough to cause problems to the planes instruments. Even if everybody on a single plane had their phones on it's very unlikely that it would cause any problems. The FCC just doesn't want to take any chances. I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.
    07-31-08 05:37 AM
    My brother is a pilot and he said the signal can mess with their equipment but it wont make the plane crash at all. But one person leaving their cell on wont do it. You would have to have a group of people leaving it on and talking away.
    07-31-08 05:50 AM
    Think about, if there was even the slightest chance of a cell phone interfering with the communications equipment do you think the airlines, pilots, FCC would even allow you to bring it on board?

No way in h*ll would they. No pilot would dare let you even board the plane with something that might cause his plane to crash and they certainly wouldn't trust a simple request like "please turn off all cell phones and electronic equipment" to be their safety measure.

None of the electronic equipment we bring on board a plane has any effect on the plane at all.
    07-31-08 06:13 AM
    My brother is a pilot and he said the signal can mess with their equipment but it wont make the plane crash at all. But one person leaving their cell on wont do it. You would have to have a group of people leaving it on and talking away.
    I deal a lot with cell phone signals and RF (radio frequency), but I'm not a pilot. Your brother would know more about the equipment on plans.
    07-31-08 06:27 AM
    Ive talked to a few pilots about this before and they said the biggest reason why cell phones are not suppose to be on during a flight is mainly because of comfort level in the cabin. Would you want to sit beside someone going cross continent and have them talk on their cell phone the whole time? i know i wouldnt. Its better to ban them and say it will mess with equipment then it is to say we just dont want you talking on them.
    07-31-08 06:56 AM
    Hasn't anyone seen the Mythbusters when they tested this one? They found that the old old old technology interferred with the electronics minorly, but, the newer phones barely registered a blip on their electronics. (they did this on the ground as the FAA wouldn't allow them to try it in the air) - Personally, I just flew and I turned the phone off. I couldn't remember how to shut off the network before we left and I survived the 3 hour flight without playing with my phone. I agree, some jacka** on the plane was on his phone quite a bit and I found him SO annoying. It was like "look at me! I'm special! I'm on my phone!" Go suck lemons.
    07-31-08 07:35 AM
    Lol! Ok cool. I feel better now. Its just my curve has an I'm the best electronic device in the world complex so I was scared that it would pimp slap the plane instrumentation and make it stop breathing its air waves.

07-31-08 09:04 AM
    Cell phone radio waves do not interfere with the avionics on aircraft. At most, it will interfere with sound through microphones, speakers, etc. But it will not have any effect on navigational equipment that the aircraft needs to fly safely. That being said, theres no point leaving your phone radio on while on a plane because you will lose reception after a few thousand feet.
    07-31-08 09:43 AM
    I know the question has been answered, but just as a 2cents flew into Boston used my bb all the way and now txting when I should while I should paying attention to this presentation LOL!
    07-31-08 03:33 PM
    i wouldnt want to be the guy whos phone does go off when on a plane. i would guess itd be like the ***** in the movie theater when their phone goes off during the movie. everybody will just turn and give you the meanest stink eye. lol
    07-31-08 04:32 PM
    I'm a flight paramedic and I keep my phone on all the time, even send and receive messages without any problems...its with the autopilot that the phones can interfere

07-31-08 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD