I have been using google maps for a while now, on my last phone, I had around 20 or 21k in memory when I upgraded, then slowly it just went away all the way to 16k O.o. (Yes, I know how to save memory, I delete all messages nightly, all call log weekly, clear out my browsers and logs, and all that good stuff.)

I would do batt pull after batt pull and still only 16k, then I had to trade in my phone as the last refub they gave me never worked right, and I loaded all my stuff back up to 22k. Yay.

Well, I started to notice it slowing draining again, and I wanted to see what the cause was, so I was going to take all my apps off on by one, Google maps was the first, I took it off, looked at the file free, and it went from the 18k all to way to 23k! yay! Then I put it back on, and it just went down to the understandable 22k.

I was using the version prior to the 2.3.2 up grade and noticed it, upgraded to the 2.3.2 with my old phone and my new phone, until today when I downloaded the 3.0.2 version, I'll have to see if it happens with this version as well.

Has anyone else noticed this??

Or know how to fix it without having to uninstall and reinstall. I think it's the "saved searches"...
    02-23-09 04:17 PM
    We think this is happening to my hubbys phone too... Has no one else noticed this? O.o

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 03:05 AM
    I have used google maps for a long time and never noticed anything like this happening. A small decrease in memory but nothing alarming - I have never seen my phone in the 16mb range and we have the same model.

For the most part google maps worked normally for me but I replaced it with live search, I just like it better and it runs a little faster I think. Hopefully the new version will work better for you. You might also think about getting rid of some unneeded apps that came with the phone if you wanted to? PTT - VAD - memopad - help, default themes (minus the required for customs) etc. The link is in my sig (memory optimization) I removed everything I could and I run with 12-15 or so apps and 4 themes @ about 29 - 31mb

Hope the new version works out

Trem
    Last edited by Tremortality; 02-26-09 at 03:33 AM.
    02-26-09 03:22 AM
    Hmm, that's odd as it's been on different phones with me... So far so good with new upgrade, but we'll see..

I have done all that, like said, I know all the memory saving things, but thanks.

02-26-09 03:27 AM
    Strange it is. I wish ya luck, glad its going well. Removing VAD alone should have kept you at even since they are about the same size. I might have to fire up the new google maps to give it a whirl its been a while
    02-26-09 03:37 AM
    Well, I've been using the newest google maps for a while, and am getting the same problem, but I found in "help" in the menu there is a "reset google maps" option, once I do this my memory goes back up, so, this is a lot better then deleting and re downloading, be still annoying, but I'll live with it.. Lol

03-28-09 02:27 PM
    google maps its the largest file on my bb. yeah it drains some mem but thats what battery pulls and clearing up free memory are for.
    03-28-09 02:29 PM
    Thanks, but like I said in my first post, battery pulls don't work, (yes even the 30 sec+ ones) the only thing that does is resetting the app.

03-28-09 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD