from blackberry desktop manager, i clicked on check for updates, that takes me to blackberry.com. In the software download page, there is a drop down menu.

Question is: if I want to keep my device up to date with the most current version, which product do I select from the drop down menu?

my device version is 4.2.2.170, platform 2.5.0.30, curve 8310
    IT support at my work "suk".

thx in advance
    11-06-08 01:03 PM
    are you on a BES?
    11-06-08 01:05 PM
    Yep Benz has picked up on a good point. If your BB was issued by your employer you may want to check with them before trying to upgrade. They may prohibit you from doing so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 01:11 PM
    you may have an IT policy that will block you from upgrading
    11-06-08 01:15 PM
    i spoke with IT about upgrading. they said i am free to upgrade the device. they said to just download the software... but that's all the info i got. They really aren't helpful, like speaking to a Cingular customer service rep on the phone.
    11-06-08 01:23 PM
    4.2.2.170 is the current version for AT&T on the BB website. You might want to login to your account on AT&T and see what they post there.

If you want the latest software version and don't care if it comes from AT&T directly then check here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/

The upgrade is very easy to do as long as you read the instrcutions on the above thread and follow them. I would not suggest doing it if you are the least bit unsure or as the previous posts indicated if you are on a BES.
    11-06-08 01:28 PM
    After you upgrade your OS, you probably will lose your BES connection and probably have to get a new password from your IT dept to reactivate.
    11-06-08 01:32 PM
    thanks. i will check with IT about losing BES connection (i am assuming BES is business enterprise server or something like that). Those jerks probably didn't think about that at all. oh well. That's why forums like this are the best. thx guys.
    11-06-08 02:52 PM
    uuummm why would I need to upgrade, how do I find out what I am running, and what do I do. Yes, I'm new and my roots are blond.
    11-06-08 03:39 PM
    go to your applications, select options and then select about.
    as for why... I don't know either. I just read about what's in the newer OS and decided that I want it.
    11-19-08 11:48 AM
    thanks. i will check with IT about losing BES connection (i am assuming BES is business enterprise server or something like that). Those jerks probably didn't think about that at all. oh well. That's why forums like this are the best. thx guys.
    If you're using a computer on the company network, with Desktop Manager installed for BES, you shouldn't have any problem. I've never had to reactivate my BB as long as I was on the company network while upgrading.
    11-19-08 11:58 AM
    just loaded 4.5 for sprint, didnt loose my BES or anything
    11-19-08 03:27 PM
    from blackberry desktop manager, i clicked on check for updates, that takes me to blackberry.com. In the software download page, there is a drop down menu.

Question is: if I want to keep my device up to date with the most current version, which product do I select from the drop down menu?

my device version is 4.2.2.170, platform 2.5.0.30, curve 8310
    IT support at my work "suk".

thx in advance
    There are two software packages used by BlackBerry.

First is the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It has prompted you to check for updates. The drop down menu includes v4.5, 4.6 and 4.7.

Each of them supercedes the previous version and include new features. You can select the latest, v4.7 for your device.

Second is device software. That is a little trickier and the subject of the advice you are receiving.

Follow this link to verify the latest device OS available from your carrier.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    11-19-08 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD