I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find instructions (that work) to remove the Push To Talk application from my AT&T 8310. Does anyone know how to do this?
    10-13-08 09:55 AM
    Check out Crackmem:http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

There's an option to remove Push To Talk.
    10-13-08 10:01 AM
    This is a great program to do this!! Free up so much memory!!
    10-13-08 10:08 AM
    I'm already aware of CrackMem but this program only works if you are installing a new OS. It will not remove PTT from the current install.
    10-13-08 12:47 PM
    here is the manual way;

1. install the OS ( Again Thank you very much Audit for the links, I have been asking this question since I got the phone and no one gave me the right answer till you did.)

2. go to the Shared folder ( buried deep inside the Program Files=> Common Files=> Research In Motion )

a. in Program Files choose "Common Files" folder !!warning!!DO NOT CHOOSE "Research in Motion" folder in Program Files.!!warning!! ,see part 2b below

b.After inside Common Files folder, then Choose "Research In Motion" folder.

c. go to "Shared" folder

3. go to Loader Files

4. go to the 8310 v4.2 something..something folder

5. go to Java folder

6. delete the 2 files mentioned above:

net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod

KnJCDE.cod

7. Run the Application Loader for DM

8. don't choose anything, just click "next"

9. on the next page, the App loader should inform to remove the PTT apps ( should be 2 files that we delete on step # 6)

10. check your Curve to make sure it is deleted !! YaY
    10-13-08 01:12 PM
    thats how i have been doing it
    10-13-08 01:13 PM
    There is another program that you download OTA to your BB and it helps you to remove some of those infrequently used programs, like PTT, etc (and then you remove it from your BB.) Oh, I can't think of the name... I used it before CrackMem came out. Freed up a lot of memory on my BB and it was very simple to use. Seems my memory needs some work!! I'll search around and see if I can find it. In the meantime, anybody remember???
    10-13-08 01:26 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

The program is called MaxMem and you can find the information in the link.
    10-13-08 01:31 PM
    This will do it for you.

Desktop Manager must be nstalled (but not run) for this to work.

The attached zip file contains two files. Connect your phone to your PC and not not put ininto MAss Storage Mode. This is very important. Run them one after another. Run remppt_1.bat first and wait for the phone to reboot.

rem remptt_1.bat
    cd \progra~1\jl_cmder
    rem AT&T 8310
    javaloader.exe -usb erase -f net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod

Then, when the phone has rebooted, run the second file remptt_2.bat.

rem remptt_2.bat
    cd \progra~1\jl_cmder

rem AT&T 8310
    javaloader.exe -usb erase -f KnJCDE.cod

Again the phone will reboot after you have run the file. This time Push To Talk will be removed.

You are quite right. CrackMem will remove PTT but, as you say, requires the OS to be installed.
    10-13-08 01:38 PM
    I was under the impression that if you ran Crackmem, then started DM > App Loader, if you continued through the App Loader process, it would remove the selected items from the OS, and an update of the OS was not required.
    10-13-08 01:53 PM
    I was under the impression that if you ran Crackmem, then started DM > App Loader, if you continued through the App Loader process, it would remove the selected items from the OS, and an update of the OS was not required.
    That is correct.

After using CrackMem or manually removing the two files, Applications Loader will note the difference and remove them from your device.

10-13-08 01:58 PM
    This is true IF the current OS is installed on the PC.

The process would be.

o Install the exact current phone OS on the PC.
    o Install Desktop Manager
    o Run CrackMem
    o Select this OS
    ---remove vendor.xml
    ---remove PTT
    o Connect the phone
    o Run Desktop Manager

Desktop Manager will now remove PTT.

This was an unintended side benefit of CrackMem. We never knew it wou;d do this until someone accidentally deleted a file and DM removed it from the phone.

In the case of the OP, he does not have the OS installed on his PC so DM has no reference.

Is that load of nonsense clear? Well, sorta.

The way to do this for now is to use the little files that I posted in post #9.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-13-08 at 02:04 PM.
    10-13-08 02:01 PM
    This is true IF the current OS is installed on the PC.

The process would be.

o Install the exact current phone OS on the PC.
    o Install Desktop Manager
    o Run CrackMem
    o Select this OS
    ---remove vendor.xml
    ---remove PTT
    o Connect the phone
    o Run Desktop Manager

Desktop Manager will now remove PTT.

This was an unintended side benefit of CrackMem. We never knew it wou;d do this until someone accidentally deleted a file and DM removed it from the phone.

In the case of the OP, he does not have the OS installed on his PC so DM has no reference.

Is that load of nonsense clear? Well, sorta.

The way to do this for now is to use the little files that I posted in post #9.
    Very clear to me. I always download and install the OS's on my PC, so I always thought Crackmem was a tool to just add or remove specific items anytime you wanted.

I thought the upgrade procedure was just a side benefit.

Put me in the category of reinventing the same thing all over again
    10-13-08 02:11 PM
    The way I think of CrackMem is it tries to take the butter out of a sandwich after it had been made and without opening it up.

It was always intended to be a pre-OS installation tool and that is waht I designed it to do.
    10-13-08 02:26 PM
    GhostShell, awesome tip, thanks, I have DM 4.6 so had it kinda confused me at first but it did the trick and walla, no more PTT.. You rock, been trying to get rid of that thing for some time now, kept coming up on my running apps list even though I have never used it..

Julian
    10-13-08 04:14 PM
    This will do it for you.

The attached zip file contains two files. Connect your phone to your PC and not not put ininto MAss Storage Mode. This is very important. Run them one after another. Run remppt_1.bat first and wait for the phone to reboot.

rem remptt_1.bat
    cd \progra~1\jl_cmder
    rem AT&T 8310

rem remptt_2.bat
    cd \progra~1\jl_cmder

rem AT&T 8310

Again the phone will reboot after you have run the file. This time Push To Talk will be removed.

You are quite right. CrackMem will remove PTT but, as you say, requires the OS to be installed.
    I don't get it though Pete. When I run these, nothing happens.
    10-13-08 05:33 PM
    Pete6, thanks for your fix. It worked great. The only thing I noticed is that the phone didn't reboot after I ran the second batch file. When I ran it the command window appeared and it definitely connected to the phone but the phone didn't reboot afterwards. However PTT is definitely gone and my system memory went from 14MB to 19MB. Thats great!

I'm currently running OS v4.5.0.55. Is there any bennefit to upgrading to the latest version? I heard that people noticed that their system memory increased afterwards. I'd rather not upgrade unless there is a significant advantage.
    10-13-08 08:28 PM
    Pete6, one more question, can I get rid of TTY Support? I thought I read in your post that it is only for hearing impared support. I see it in the application list under advanced options. Can I just delete it from there?
    10-13-08 08:31 PM
    Hello. I'm trying to use solution to get rid of the useless (to me) PTT 'feature', and my phone is doing nothing when I run the first one, no reboot or anything. I didn't try the second one. I have mass storage off and you say not to use DM. What could I be doing wrong please? By the way, the BB is now showing up in My Computer using Vista Home premium x32 (is that because mass storage is off?). Thank you.

BTW, why does RIM and ATT make it so hard to get rid of such programs a user probably will never use?

This will do it for you.

rem remptt_1.bat
    cd \progra~1\jl_cmder
    rem AT&T 8310

rem remptt_2.bat
    cd \progra~1\jl_cmder

rem AT&T 8310

09-22-09 12:38 PM
    i used the maxmem program to do some tidying up (removed ptt and voice dialing)...so easy! thanks a bunch to whoever posted the link for that!!
    09-22-09 11:41 PM
    That's what I finally did as well bornmusician, as I could not get the zip files Pete6 posted to work. maxmem does a great job, and it won't be that much trouble to delete it again when I use Desktop Manager to create backups (I believe from what I read earlier DM automatically loads PTT back onto the BB; hope I misread that).

BTW, what instrument do you play please? Myself, drums for nearly 30 years now - man, that looks very scary in black and white! Besides excellent drummers such as Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Chad Smith, etc., Stevie Ray Vaughan is really my inspiration to end all inspirations. The man was just sick!
    09-23-09 12:35 AM
    This will do it for you.

Desktop Manager must be installed (but not run) for this to work.
    This was awesome! It worked. Unfortunately, I had to downgrade to my Wintendo workstation. The other methods listed wanted to install an ActiveX control, which would have meant I'd need to run intraweb exploder.

In any case, I downloaded the javacommander and the batch files and got rid of the stupid PTT.

Now to get rid of the messenger application...
    09-29-09 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD