Hey guys,

Is there a way to turn off that stupid auto-expand feature in the phone-dialer's address book?

It's kind of hard to describe, but let's assume that I have 10 different people with the LAST name Smith loaded in my Contacts, and 10 different people with the FIRST name William. And everybody has 2 or 3 phone numbers each (work, cell, and/or home). And one of my contacts is named William Smith. William Smith is near the bottom of both the Smith list and the William list.

Let's say I want to call William Smith. From the home screen, I hit the green SEND button to open the dialer. I type "Smith". Now I have a list of all 10 of my Smith's, but it auto-expands the first entry. I scroll down and let's say it moves down the 9th Smith name (just above William Smith). Then just as I'm about to scroll down the tiny bit to go down one entry to William Smith, after about 0.5 seconds, it auto expands the 9th Smith and throws everything off. Now I have to scroll down 3 more entries to get past the 9th Smith's phone numbers.

Sorry for the ridiculous description above, but I just wanted to make sure I was describing my issue properly. I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything that turns that stupid feature off!! I want to scroll to a name, click, then have it expand, then I'll select the number I want to call.

Thanks in advance!
    05-21-10 08:02 AM
    It is quite annoying. I will go to look for a contact (I type in company name), and have even called the wrong person, because of this "feature". I have not seen any way to prevent it from displaying all the numbers under a certain name.
    05-21-10 08:46 AM
    Although I don't know if it's possible to disable the expanding feature, you may consider disabling the ability to dial from the home screen, under options. Then, instead of typing "Smith" from the home screen, you can just go into your contacts and type in which ever name and it won't expand and will have a less chance of being scrolled past. It's an alternative since the actual expand feature won't shut off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD