Can anyone tell me how stable and safe it is to upgrade to the 4.5 O.S. for the 8310. Im with AT&T and I downloaded the update and I am reluctant to upgrade the phone. How many of the current applications will I loose? When I update the software, it talks about backing up the device application data. Is this the whole 4.2 O.S. or is it just parts of it? If I want to go back, can I just restore the 4.2 O.S.? I know its alot of questions. If someone has time to answer these and provide some knowledable information, please let me know.
    05-17-08 02:58 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry. You ask some sensible questions in your post.

- You will not lose any of your OS installed applications. You will lose any that you have installed since the phone was new. Hopefuly you still have these on your PC.
    - The Backup save all your data and all (well, nearly all) of the various program settings. I advise doing a seperate Backup useing DMs Backup/Restore module just to be safe.
    - When you update, the whole of the OS is replaced with the new.
    - To go back, you must uninstall 4.5 from your PC, install the old OS on your PC and do a Backup.
    - OS 4.5 is BETA software and has caused problems for a lot of people. For others, it works fine.

My advice fwiw, wait until
    a). you know more about your phone.
    b). OS 4.5 is released rumored to be this July but unconfirmed.

Lurk here, reasd, use your phone, ask questions and generally enjoy the thing. That wasy your will be more competent with the thing and will be better able to understand the upgrade process and spot problems should they occur.
    05-17-08 03:33 AM
    I had some issues with my 8310 when I updated. I would do a seperate backup before upgrading.
    05-17-08 08:01 AM
    And also have some time on your hands. Upgrading took me like 45 min. Downgrading about the same. I agree with pete about becoming more comfortable with the phone. I read a bunch of the forums here before I upgraded. Also realize like he said that it is still a beta and you might not get the results that u are expecting.
    05-17-08 08:04 AM
    Welcome to CB Don't do it unless you are willing to except the responsibility for potential issues with your "new" berry. This forum has a lot of threads regarding the pros / cons of using the betas. So do your homework first. Your berry is worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-08 08:22 AM
    I forgot to mention I have an AT&T unlocked 8310 on a different carrier. My hardware is the same as yours.

I had trouble with this software and so have many others. On the other paw, there are lots of people running 4.5 quite happily with few or no problems.
    05-17-08 08:33 AM
    I haven't had many problems but like they say on the hair growth infomercial results will vary. Welcome to CB my fellow Texan.
    05-17-08 09:33 AM
    So far mine has performed great using 4.5.18, But I did notice a small amount of slowdown from 4.2. I figure its worth the full 8 gig card space.
    05-17-08 09:34 AM
    Use only as directed and results may vary!

05-17-08 10:27 AM
    Iloaded the 4.5 and had it for a few weeks and then found that some of the apps I added would not work with the new OS as they had not been upgraded yet. None of the companies will help because it is only beta. I have since went back to most recent OS and am content on waiting for the official version.

05-17-08 10:32 AM
    When the "official version" is released, how can I get it. Will it be OTA or PC downloaded ?
    05-17-08 10:46 AM
    I had to exchange my berry at the store within a week after loading the 4.5 1.8. But I heard that different versions are out that work better.
    05-17-08 10:59 AM
    Don't bother seriously. I'm hating mine, not to mention you won't be able to miss what you haven't had, so the wait for the 100% upgrade will be minimal for you.

Trust me lol!
    05-17-08 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD