Dear Community,

My name is Christian, I'm 18 years old and I'm from Germany. In the fall i will attend the University of Wisconsin La Crosse for the next 4 years. I always wanted a Blackberry and with the Sprint Simple Everything plan 450 I could even pay for that....but since my dad gives me the money for it he wants me to tell him why He should pay 70$ a month for "Just a phone" and a Plan like that( i could kill him for that sentence)....

So PLEASE help me to persuade my Dad so I can finally get a Blackberry...
    Last edited by Crillberry; 08-03-08 at 11:02 AM.
    08-03-08 09:53 AM
    He should pay $70 for it because if he were a dad in the United States, he'd have to pay $100 for it. Tell him he's lucky he gets paid in Euros.
    08-03-08 09:56 AM
    Well thank God there are still parents that pause and question paying for extraneous things for kids. But you are 18 and will be living in another country. I agree, at least it is only $70. But it is well worth the convenience of being able to reach you anytime (given the time difference). And will probably be much cheaper than calling via land line to Europe.

Good luck
    08-03-08 09:59 AM
    Well, at 18 years old, you could sign up for your own line, as you mentioned you could afford to pay for it.

I have 2 daughters 19 and 20, both in college. My husband and I made them both get part-time jobs at 16, we have always taken well care of them and pay for a lot, but once they started working, the extra things they wanted, they had to buy.

My older daughter wanted to get a BB recently when her phone was going bad. She even had the NE2 but only $50 upgrade. I told her it was up to her (she pays her bill) but why spend $30.00 extra a month for data that you really don't need. She was very sensible and agreed.

I really believe, that until you work to earn money and pay for things on your own, you don't realize the value of money and that it is much harder to earn than spend!

Just my 2 cents worth.
    08-03-08 10:13 AM
    Well, at 18 years old, you could sign up for your own line, as you mentioned you could afford to pay for it.

I have 2 daughters 19 and 20, both in college. My husband and I made them both get part-time jobs at 16, we have always taken well care of them and pay for a lot, but once they started working, the extra things they wanted, they had to buy.

My older daughter wanted to get a BB recently when her phone was going bad. She even had the NE2 but only $50 upgrade. I told her it was up to her (she pays her bill) but why spend $30.00 extra a month for data that you really don't need. She was very sensible and agreed.

I really believe, that until you work to earn money and pay for things on your own, you don't realize the value of money and that it is much harder to earn than spend!

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I agree if you can afford it, just get your own line.
    08-03-08 10:16 AM

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Sorry my German friend, I agree, I budgeted for a bit to make sure I could afford the phone and the plan, I don't get to drink as much starbucks or get sushi daily, but it's a fair trade for me.
    08-03-08 10:16 AM
    Well I worked over the Summer for the Phone, so the 150$ for Curve will be paid by me. I also will pay 10 Euros~15 Dollar every month for that plan from savings.
    08-03-08 10:21 AM
    For sure your own line is the way to go, that way he can't ever cut the line off if you get into it or something happens. If you can afford it I don't know why you would go any other way.
    08-03-08 10:24 AM
    As a parent, I do pay for my kids phones as long as they keep up good grades. I feel it is important for them to have the phone to keep in touch & have it for safety. I would rather pay for the phone than have then have to work & thier grades suffer. Neither one of them are interested in a BB right now. But if they change their minds I would pay for the bill.
    08-03-08 10:25 AM
    Before you go and convince your Dad, you need to convince yourself. Ask yourself these questions:
    • What do you like about the BlackBerry?
    • What will improve as a result of getting the device?
    • Do you text a lot and/or need something to help you keep track of your appointments and tasks?

I'm 21, have my own job to make my own spending money (parents take care of everything else for now in return for 20% of my after-tax amount), and do have a BlackBerry. I've made a few reckless buying decisions here and there (e.g. my previous phone), but I am still able to talk myself out of most of buying stuff I really can make do without.

Since you are from Germany, you may want to consider getting service from a GSM provider (like T-Mobile) instead. That way, you can unlock the phone and it will be good for when you're here in the United States AND back at home in Germany.
    08-03-08 10:28 AM
    Can't i just put a german Sim Card in my Sprint Blackberry when i will go over to germany?
    08-03-08 10:32 AM
    Can't i just put a german Sim Card in my Sprint Blackberry when i will go over to germany?
    no, you have to do your research a little more. Sprint doesn't have Sim Cards.
    08-03-08 10:34 AM
    Well that wouldn't be a problem either because the rooming coast are not that expensive. Do you have more ideas how to persuade my dad and make me a earlie christmas?
    08-03-08 10:38 AM
    Well that wouldn't be a problem either because the rooming coast are not that expensive. Do you have more ideas how to persuade my dad and make me a earlie christmas?
    Why beg him to do something, when you can buy it yourself?
    08-03-08 10:40 AM
    Because I am in love with the Blackberry Curve! And I hope the Crackberry Community could help me to persuade him, since we all share a comment interest

Also it would not be soo expensive, comparing to german plan cost...he would pay 50Euros for that plan which is almost a regular plan
    08-03-08 10:51 AM
    Because I am in love with the Blackberry Curve! And I hope the Crackberry Community could help me to persuade him, since we all share a comment interest

Also it would not be soo expensive, comparing to german plan cost...he would pay 50Euros for that plan which is almost a regular plan
    I guess I still don't understand. Why can't you buy it yourself in Germany? or US? You have already convince yourself your love the Curve. Now we must convince YOU to buy it yourself!
    08-03-08 10:56 AM
    he wants me to tell him why He should pay 70$ a month for "Just a phone" ( i could kill him for that sentence)....

So PLEASE help me to persuade my Dad so I can finally get a Blackberry...
    I guess you have a German dad who asked you a German question. IM is sure nice if your dad is into it. If you want a good deal on talking to your friends in Germany, get a Nokia that supports sip and a voipcheap account. You get to call home (festnetz) for free and it will cost you 10 euros every 90 days. Call quality to Germany is great! You will also have a phone that works once you get back to Germany.
    08-03-08 10:56 AM
    Shoot I am an *****...lol

My dad wants to know why he should pay 70$ for a Plan each month!
    But he also wants to know how the Blackberry can help me in everyday life....
    08-03-08 10:58 AM

Listen, Buy it yourself. You won't have to explain anything.
    08-03-08 11:00 AM
    If you can pay for it yourself, get it when you get to the states.
    08-03-08 11:02 AM

That is $840 +tax a year. There are better things to get with that money than a phone plan.
    You can tell him that you can play with it during boring classes
    08-03-08 11:04 AM
    If you can pay for it yourself, get it when you get to the states.
    Have some money ready in case you need to put a deposit down. You know for the credit check.
    08-03-08 11:05 AM
    I will buy me the phone over there with a Sprint Simple Everything Plan 450.
    I will pay for the phone. Now my dad wants to know how the Blackberry + the Plan can help me in everyday life and during college.
    08-03-08 11:07 AM
    Christian, this is a tough crowd for you to convince. We're all parents and this subject comes up from time. I have a question, are you going to school on scholarship? If you are, you can point out all the money you are already saving him. You could see if he'd go for a TMobile plan - it's a good German company and it's 8320 with WiFi is a great deal. I honestly don't know what you can tell your Dad, and that's not like me , just ask anyone here - someone called me Dear Exelant, haha. Anyway, you are an adult, you'll have to get a part time job near school and pay for it yourself if Dad won't. My kids get cell phones, but they don't get $70 a month BlackBerries. Good luck, study hard and make the next 4 years the last 4 you have to ask someone else for something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 08-03-08 at 12:09 PM.
    08-03-08 12:04 PM
    I, for one, am not convinced that you have done your homework. For starters, you are buying a phone that is not likely to work on any other service except Sprint. Secondly, you are seriously considering paying for roaming charges while at home?!

For an international student like you, I would recommend pre-paid wireless service or T-Mobile's FlexPay. You'll have to cough up a good bit of money for the phone, but it will serve you well in the long run because you can switch services just by swapping SIM cards once you unlock it.
    08-03-08 12:06 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD