I have a BB Curve 8330. Alltel (someday Verizon or AT&T) takes my money every month for its "service". I enjoy the many features the Curve offers, but I am starting to wonder if the monthly price is really worth it. When Verizon or AT&T take over, the price will go up. In these challenging economic times, is spending over $100.00+ a month really wise? Do I need to have my email pushed to me 24/7? Does it matter if I can check the weather or look up CNN from my phone? I realize there are distinctive business advantages to having a smartphone, but do I need it if my business employer cannot afford to pay for it? I am just curious about the thoughts of others; especially as it relates to the costs versus the benefits of a smartphone.
    10-13-09 08:53 AM
    Do I need it? No
    Do I want it? Yes
    So do I have it? OFC!
    10-13-09 08:58 AM
    I agreee with you that it is expensive. I would not pay that much for the features. My son got off my account and got an Iphone on a plan that is $100. plus. My sprint bill is $140. for four phones (one bb) on a SEP plan for all the phones. One phone over $100. n way for me.
    10-13-09 09:01 AM
    Sprint has by far very economical plans, my husband and I are on the shared everything 1500, whatever its called..

Our bill last month was 128 total.
    10-13-09 09:09 AM
    I would say its worth it. My wife and I both had Samsumg Instincts with Sprint. We hated the phones themselves but liked the features of having a smartphone. When we were eligible to upgrade our phones I got a BlackBerry and she "downgraded" to an LG Rumor so that we could cut back on the amount we were paying Sprint each month. She hated not having all the data capabilities and after about 2 months we got her a BlackBerry and now we are back to paying about $130/month for our cell plan.
    10-13-09 09:21 AM
    thats why i won't switch to verizon or att. with all my discounts, i only pay about $63 per month with sprint (that includes insurance and taxes too)
    10-13-09 09:22 AM
    Wow, I'm only paying $75 per month on my bill. That includes the whole package from data to unlimited picture/video messaging.
    Last edited by jtran91; 10-13-09 at 09:28 AM.
    10-13-09 09:24 AM
    I'm with Sprint and my wife and I both have BB Curves and we pay about $130 a month for both phones. You don't realize how much you'll miss the data plan until you need to do something simple such as checking your email while away from your personal computer. IMO..
    10-13-09 10:40 AM
    Damn, I'm paying like $165 for my GF and me to have BB's on US Cellular, of course... that is with $20 for an unlimited texting package with MMS charges included...
    10-13-09 11:39 AM
    On Sprint, I pay $66 after taxes for: 500 minutes, any mobile anytime (just added recently), unlimited SMS/pic messaging, GPS, unlimited data (BIS included)

They offered this Everything Plus plan as a replacement for SERO. If it wasn't so cheap I never would have gotten a blackberry. Seems like with most carriers its around $80+
    10-13-09 11:47 AM
    I'm with Sprint and my wife and I both have BB Curves and we pay about $130 a month for both phones. You don't realize how much you'll miss the data plan until you need to do something simple such as checking your email while away from your personal computer. IMO..
    I totally agree. I have been through numerous phones and cut back to a regular flip phone after having phones with a data plan. I could never do that again. Once it's gone you realize how much you actually use it. I'm paying Verizon $150 a month for my Blackberry and an Lg Env2 (no data) on a 700 minute family share plan. Am I nuts? Probably.
    10-13-09 01:09 PM
    My wife and I have a shared plan on T-mobile, and it is very affordable for all the mins/features we have. I use mine for business, but if I didn't, I could def see your point...
    10-13-09 01:09 PM
    Damn, I'm paying like $165 for my GF and me to have BB's on US Cellular, of course... that is with $20 for an unlimited texting package with MMS charges included...
    That sounds like a totally rip for us cellular, could be on att(bias been with them since it was southwestern bell, cingular, etc) and never had a problem with service and always got taken care of. They were the ones who gave me my first BB when my sony ericsson broke. Depending how many anytime minutes you need. Should be under $185 for what you are probably getting now plus you get the better network and 3G depending if needed. My two phone family plan now is only a bit over $100 with me having the bb plan but we are also grandfathered in with the $40 550 minute family plan with rollover and unlimted mobile2mobile. Can't wait for the onyx 9700
    Could also goto tmobile for even cheaper but I'm still iffy about their service maybe will switch in 2 years if their 3G/4G is better then ATT
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 01:18 PM
    Living in beautiful rural America, I do not have a Sprint, T-Mobile, etc option. I can choose US Cellular or the carrier who decides to pick me up at some point in the future. It is ironic that $4 billion dollars of stimulus money is floating around for broadband expansion but so many folks are still caught holding the short straw. I understand the economic timidity of most companies who do not want to invest in a low return market. I also know those same companies are making hundreds of millions of dollars when we send a text or check our voice mail. I do appreciates everyone's response and welcome more input as your time permits. I have a few more months on my BB contract so we will hang out together a while longer. After that, I am not sure.
    10-13-09 04:24 PM
    I pay $85 a month with T-Mobile
    10-13-09 04:34 PM
    Its definitely nice to have the conveinience but the only one who can tell you whether its worth it is you.... although BB's have never been the cheapest phones/plans
    10-13-09 07:09 PM
    I have att with for lines unlimeted text mms and data I use an 8320 without blackberry service just unlimited wap browsing and wifi. I only loose out on push email but have the gmail app. There is a few things I loose app wise but all and all 4 phones for 175 is ok with me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 07:55 PM
    If you get rid of your BB or any smart phone, everyday of your life you will regret it. I speak from experiance, I went from a treo to a BB and then to a Razr and it was the worst 4 days of my life...
    10-13-09 07:56 PM
    my Alltel plan is the cheapest u can get:

300 anytime minutes, unlimited text and data: $89 BEFORE tax.

my bill is usually $101.04 once tax's and bs fee's are added.
    10-13-09 07:58 PM
    That's why I went with T-Mobile. $65/mo. for unlimited web and phone. Free nights/weekends. Only 300 anytime minutes BUT they have free calling to 5 people (fave 5 - can be changed monthly). I only call about 4 or 5 people regularly so it works for me. I couldn't be happier.
    10-13-09 09:39 PM
    I am on Verizon and only pay $106 and some odd change every month including insurance, tax and all those other random fees. I have 900 minutes (which I hardly use over 350-400) , free nights starting at 9pm, free weekends, unlimited text, internet, data, family and friends (unlimited calling to 5 numbers). I am happy with my current plan, and all the features and resources I have access to at my fingertips 24/7. You are basically paying for convenience, you don't necessarily need it all the time, but in case you do it is there. Even during those times when you don't need it, at least you have something to play with so you won't be bored!
    10-13-09 09:47 PM
    I have a company discount for my Sprint bill but my plan is the $69.99 Simply Everything with 450 minutes, unlimited data, text, and mms. There is also the Any Mobile Anytime deal where you get to call any mobile number you want. With my discount I am paying around $59 to $62 after taxes.

I don't know how I can live without that plan haha.
    10-13-09 09:49 PM
    To me, having a bb is a necessary luxury. I have no qualms paying my $83 every month for it.
    10-13-09 10:11 PM
    I have verizon, and it's so expensive, but luckily I get a discount through my job, but I honestly could say I feel like it's worth it, I can't see myself, getting a phone that's not a blackberry. So in my opinion it's worth every penny
    10-13-09 10:53 PM
    If it wasn't worth it I wouldn't pay for it
    10-13-09 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD