How many songs (approximately) should I be able to get on a 4Gb memory card? It downloaded about 100. That seems low. I don't have any pictures, videos, ringtones downloaded. Are there memory hogs I'm not aware of? Which brings up another question.....where can I actually see how much memory is being used and for what? Thanks.
    09-23-08 02:42 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

On a 4Gb card you will see about 3.7Gb of space or, 3700Mb. If you calculate the 'average' song at being about 3.5Mb or 3500Kb then since there are 1000Kb in 1Mb you should see roughtly 1000 songs on your card.

Of course the exact size depends on how the song is encoded. I have assumed an mp3 at 128kbps and it also depends on the length of the song which I guessed at about 3 - 3.5 minutes each.

Since you are seeing only 100 songs, I suspect that you are copying wav files to the card. These are uncompressed audio files and take up 10Mb/min. So a 3.5 minute song will be 35Mb or 10 times that of an mp3.

How are you copying/ripping/encoding? What is the file format that you are using?
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-23-08 at 02:57 PM.
    09-23-08 02:55 PM
    Hmmmm...I just looked at a few and they are all MP3s. I downloaded them using the blackberry desktop, roxio app. Is there a place to see total memory used for music?
    09-23-08 03:01 PM
    Is it possible that you included a full album that was encoded as one track?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 04:51 PM
    Are you copying them to a folder on the card or into the root directory of the card?
    09-23-08 05:48 PM
    Options/Tools/Memory Card

09-23-08 06:19 PM
    Explore/menu/properties. Gives a pie chart and usage numbers in 4.5.

09-23-08 06:57 PM
    Clearly there is something else on your Media Card that is taking up space.

Try downloading TreeSizeFree from here JAM Software - Windows Freeware and install it on your PC.

Set up your Media Card for Mass Storage Mode
    With the Media Card installed, goto Options, Media Card and set
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None - unless you are paranoid
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Now when you connect your phone to the PC (provided DM is installed). The phone will prompt you to enable Mass Storage Mode. Select Yes and the Media Card will show up in My Computer and then you can Drag 'n Drop your files to the correct places on the Media Card.

Connect your phone to your PC and do not run Desktop Manager. The Media Card will show up in My Computer as a new disk.

Right mouse click on this new disk and select TreeSize from the menu.

After a while you will see a complete plan of the Media Card with each folder size shown. This should reveal where your space has gone.
    09-24-08 02:53 AM
    A lot depend on the Bit Rate in which the music was ripped at... typically iTunes has songs at 192 kbps (kilobit per second)... where I ripped my music at 320 kbps, which is much higher quality (and I can hear the difference)... and in this case I can not put as much music on my iPod or any other storage device.
    09-24-08 06:45 AM
    A lot depend on the Bit Rate in which the music was ripped at... typically iTunes has songs at 192 kbps (kilobit per second)... where I ripped my music at 320 kbps, which is much higher quality (and I can hear the difference)... and in this case I can not put as much music on my iPod or any other storage device.
    Nice Tip. Space not an issue so I will go for Quality.
    Thanks

09-24-08 06:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD