Hey guys. Not a noob (addicted to crackberry; check it 5 to 6 times a day, but don't post much) but certainly not an expert either. I know there are lots of post about memory, but my question is when should one start to worry about low memory? I have an 8330m and on a battery pull, I will have around 25mb of memory. During the course of a day it will diminish to around 18-19mb of memory. I usually wind up doing a quickpull before I go to bed. Is this acceptable, or am I worried for nothing? Thanks
    01-23-10 12:21 PM
    Shouldn't let it fall below 10mb from what i've read on the forums. Do you close your apps correctly? Or just hit the end button?
    01-23-10 12:35 PM
    There is something else you could try to. MaxMem that added alot of memory to my bb. This gets rid of things like voice dial that as far as i know nobody uses. Becareful make sure you back your phone up first. And watch what you remove. You can find this at berrycoder.com on your phones browser.
    01-23-10 12:41 PM
    My phone went alot faster and rarely do i see the hour glass anymore. It added probably 10 to 15 mbs
    01-23-10 12:43 PM
    Like all things BlackBerry, it has changed over time.

BlackBerry software v4.2xx and v4.3xx allowed you to select 12 or 15 Mb of memory to reserve for the Media Players use. At that time, 10 Mb was conventional wisdom for minimum memory.

The newer v4.5xx + software allows you to set 5 Mb reserved. That is the new lower limit.

Managing memory is a challenge, particularly with the older 64 Mb models. The same wisdom applies to the larger model, get rid of the samples and put the memory to better use.

IMHO, 15 Mb after power on restart is ideal. The Sun Java software will use about 10 Mb over time, leaving you just over the 5 Mb reserve.
    01-23-10 12:53 PM
    Shouldn't let it fall below 10mb from what i've read on the forums. Do you close your apps correctly? Or just hit the end button?
    I always close out my apps. I have Quicklaunch, Memory Booster an BerryBuzz that run in the background I think. Thanks for the reply.
    01-23-10 12:53 PM
    if you use facebook from what i've read it is a memory hog! Try maxmem it works wonders! let me know if i can help
    01-23-10 12:59 PM
    Please watch wat u guys are deleting wit maxmem and also if u thinkin about deleting ur default themes DON'T unless u only use one theme.. If u use custom themes u need ur default themes to use that custom feature that's how the custom themes work!! But I tried out maxmem and deleted my default themes which was a big mistake, has to put all my stuff back on through DM like the OS default themes and VAD and some other random stuff my OS needed to work.. So I woudnt recommend MaxMem.. Use another memory saver app like CrackMem maybe!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-10 03:28 PM
    <<<Do you close your apps correctly?>>>> How do you do that? BB 8330/new user
    01-23-10 04:07 PM
    By hitting the menu button and going to close
    01-23-10 04:19 PM
    technically, as long as you have free memory, you should be fine. having an excessive amount of free memory means that memory is being wasted, it doesn't make your device any faster/slower.

amount of free memory doesn't have anything to do with your device crashes. I have over 10 megs at all times, still my device crashes! for a BB, 10 megs is a lot.

unless you have a meg of free memory, you should be fine.
    01-23-10 10:37 PM
    From what I understand, 10 megs or under is NOT acceptable for your bb. It is suggested that you have at least 12. So I wouldn't suggest, BorkenIce, telling someone that "as long as you have a meg free" it's okay. I believe there are many threads here about memory management and things one can do to free up memory. The more you have, the smoother your bb runs.

More memory free is NOT wasted memory. Whatever are you talking about? ...
    01-24-10 06:15 PM
    if you do alt + l g l g and clear event log that helps a little too
    Last edited by UFCfan; 01-24-10 at 11:26 PM.
    01-24-10 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD