So it seems like most of you are pretty happy with UMA, what could be the reasons that mine craps out so much? I've tried it with a bunch of different modems, but like i said sometimes it drops a call before i even say hello. I've also had problems with calls not coming in at all. My buddy at work called me to hear his ringtone and it went straight to voicemail when i was on UMA?
    01-06-08 04:30 PM
    No, you don't have to have the H@H add-on. I use UMA all the time and don't have the H@H add-on. All the add-on does is give you unlimited minutes over UMA. My minutes are deducted the same whether on UMA or EDGE without the H@H plan.
    I tried using the wifi to make calls, and it worked for a while, but one day I had problems making calls, or even receiving. I dial the number and it drops. I thought it may have something to do with my wifi being on, and after I turned it off, the calls went through. Have you had that happen to you? Since then I have turned off my wifi, because I have plenty of minutes and my reception is good at home, but I wonder why my calls didn't go through when the wifi was on. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    01-07-08 12:44 AM
    VoIP. You can do everything over WiFi. Your data/voice/sms all go over wifi. Basically you have a cell tower in your own house.
    I thought you still get charged for SMS even if you have wifi on. At least that's what T-Mobile said.
    01-07-08 12:50 AM
    I have the special $9.95 UMA plan. It really makes the Blackberry Curve standout from my other GSM phones (Treo 680 and Nokia N95) It works well at home, I use a Cisco Router... and elsewhere. Anyplace I setup a wireless router, I try to get the folks to let me setup DD-WRT... it even works on the new Linksys WRT54G v8 routers now! I have fielded a number of them, and the UMA works well. Calls are very clear, and only get dropped when there is an internet connection problem(like the cable modem dies) or if the other party is switching cells and looses the connection. The one thing that works only sporadically is handoff from UMA to GSM. Also, I was in St. Martin for a week and could never find a wifi hotspot open enough to work. UMA does work at all Starbucks sites that have hotspot, and if you don't pay for unlimited UMA, you can still use it in areas with poor GSM coverage. Best example so far... my sister's Beach House in Corolla, NC... very limited GSM. We setup UMA on the router and now have a little hotspot that works great for calls, SMS and Data! TMobile rocks for adopting this fantastic new technology...
    01-07-08 12:01 PM
    is there anything else you need to do with settings to get UMA to connect automatically?

my curve will jump from UMA-EDGE while at home. not sure if there's somewhere to say, "stay connected to UMA" or something like that.
    01-07-08 02:05 PM
    I just added the @home add on to my service to use wifi at home, but im having trouble keeping my phone logged onto my wifi network, does anyone know if 2wire is a compatiable router to use for wifi?
    01-07-08 03:22 PM
    is there anything else you need to do with settings to get UMA to connect automatically?

my curve will jump from UMA-EDGE while at home. not sure if there's somewhere to say, "stay connected to UMA" or something like that.
    You can go to Options >Mobile Network and set it to WiFi Only. However, once the signal gets down to a certain level it will disconnect from UMA. The best way I found to fix this is to boost the power in the router. If you can load dd-wrt (aftermarket firmware for you router) then you can do that and boost power using that firmware. If not, get one that you can load dd-wrt on or one that has better range on it. The WRT54GS has great range already and can be flashed with dd-wrt.
    Last edited by John Clark; 01-07-08 at 07:00 PM.
    01-07-08 04:51 PM
    thanks john clark..!
    01-07-08 05:54 PM
    I better use it, I pay 9.99 for the Hotspots@Home plan. Its great cause I get to save some of my anytime mins. I use around 500+ mins via UMA and they are all free.
    01-07-08 06:54 PM
    I am going to have to try this dd-wrt firmware. I would use it on my router, but I am using my sprint aircard for internet on my computer, wife shares through an ad-hoc link. Wish I could get hers to see the internet connection through the router, haven't figured that out yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-08 07:31 PM
    www.dd-wrt.com

Check the supported devices first before flashing. You'll find it under Install in the dd-wrt wiki.
    01-07-08 07:33 PM
    I looked into doing the DD-WRT flash for my WRT54GS V7, but it looks way too involved. I am concerned that I will fry it. Has anyone done it?
    01-12-08 08:11 PM
    Wow i have never seen so much positive comments about the UMA before. Alot of tmo people that i talk to who use the H@H seemed to be really frustrated with it or constantly returning routers or phones to tmo.

Sounds like this dd-wrt is the ticket.
    01-12-08 09:31 PM
    I use it all the time too. However I have found that it actually is not as great as I'd have thought or wanted. Sometimes the calls break up and it is easy to lose the connection. There have been times in which I have turned off the wifi antenna because I get fed up with the poor sound quality during calls. Also, it sucks a good amount of bandwidth. The one thing that gives it an edge (no pun intended) is the fact that you can use it elsewhere and avoid roaming charges, but I have not tried it yet. Has anyone?
    01-12-08 10:29 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD