So about how long does your battery last on a single charge? I went on about a 4 hour trip today and my BB Curve 8330 battery just seemed to get lower and lower every minute. I casually looked on the internet, played a few songs, and sent a handful of SMS'. and it lasted about 14 hours. I thought BB's were known for their long battery life. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, what things do I need to do to update my OS? Is there any benefit in doing this? I still have the same OS from out of the box, so is it worth it?
    02-01-09 01:02 AM
    I plug in overnight every night. And I've never once died completely. Occasionally I'll forget to plug in and then go 2 dull days and I'm still good to go. However, if it's a heavy use day and I forgot to plug in the night before I'll need about a half hour on the charger to juice me up.

I also have a car charger and I plug in whenever I'm in the car even if it's just 5 minutes. That little jolt a few times throughout the day makes more difference than you think. Plus it helps you remember to take the berry off your lap and avoid dropping it on the ground when exiting the car.

I think what helps extend batery is religiously putting it sleep mode when not in use. Set the backlight to 10% and use the "switch application" function to close apps not actively being used. Make sure maps are turned off when not in use. Set viigo, youmail, and bbweather to only update every few hours vs every few minutes. Rely on the vibrate function and LED indictor tp do their job and don't "wake it up" obsessively to check for new messages every 2 minutes. Use vibrate for incoming messages rather that ringtones at full blast. Turn off auto flash on camera. I also do battery pulls every few days just for the **** of it. I don't know if that does anything for battery life - but it can't hurt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 01:17 AM
    Blackberries are known for short battery life where I live

I can get 2 days out of mine usually. For heavy use I have to charge nightly but that is rare.

The OS upgrade will give you a video recorder, HTML Email, updgraded stability (?) as well as some other things which I forget now. Is it worth it? I dunno that is up to you. For me personally it was not worth it though I did try it. Good luck
    Last edited by Tremortality; 02-01-09 at 01:42 AM.
    02-01-09 01:26 AM
    Mine will go a full day till I go to bed night with occasional web browsing, texting,throughout day and bluetooth.

02-01-09 01:40 AM
    I can usually go a full day without charging...if I'm heavy on usage then it will go before then.
    02-01-09 01:59 AM
    Normally a full day as well UNLESS I am using bluetooth. Using my bluetooth can run my phone down in a matter of an hour or 2.
    02-01-09 02:14 AM
    When was the last time you did a hard reset by means of a battery pull?
    02-01-09 02:24 AM
    My Curve will go about two days on a full charge. But on days that I'm on the phone a lot, (internet, heavy texting, emails, video downloads, etc.) I have to charge it overnight.

Overall I would say my berry is great on battery life.

02-01-09 05:53 AM
    Also, as far as upgrading your OS, its really up to you. If your phone is working fine for you now, then why do anything to it. But if you wanna be able to record videos, receive emails in HTML format instead of just a whole bunch of links, then I would upgrade the OS.

Who's your carrier? I'm on my berry now and can't see your profile.

I got AT&T and just upgraded to v4.5.0.152.

Before this I had v4.5.0.81 from Vodafone Fiji cause at the time AT&T still didn't have v4.5 for my curve. Only problem I experienced with the upgrade from Vodafone Fiji was when my wife called of texted me, my Curve wouldn't ring or vibrate. It only happened when my wife called. This sucked cause my wife thought I was ignoring her calls or texts. LOL

Now my berry works perfect. :-)

02-01-09 06:18 AM
    my battery usually lasts roughly 16 hours.
    02-01-09 06:26 AM
    my bold batt last 1 day with heavy usage and i have to charge the bold every night. some people say that we need to upgrade software and can last 2 days, but how to do it for free through the device. that i need to get info from you guys.
    02-01-09 08:01 AM
    usually 16 hrs. I Charge it every night and if I listen to music in the car I make sure it is plugged in...
    02-01-09 08:17 AM
    So about how long does your battery last on a single charge? I went on about a 4 hour trip today and my BB Curve 8330 battery just seemed to get lower and lower every minute. I casually looked on the internet, played a few songs, and sent a handful of SMS'. and it lasted about 14 hours. I thought BB's were known for their long battery life. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, what things do I need to do to update my OS? Is there any benefit in doing this? I still have the same OS from out of the box, so is it worth it?
    Also keep in mind on a trip that long if you go out of coverage and and the device needs to look for towers, then this will be a bigger drain on the battery. I do not know all the facts on what you did that day, but just an idea.
    02-01-09 08:27 AM
    I plug in overnight every night. And I've never once died completely. Occasionally I'll forget to plug in and then go 2 dull days and I'm still good to go. However, if it's a heavy use day and I forgot to plug in the night before I'll need about a half hour on the charger to juice me up.

I also have a car charger and I plug in whenever I'm in the car even if it's just 5 minutes. That little jolt a few times throughout the day makes more difference than you think. Plus it helps you remember to take the berry off your lap and avoid dropping it on the ground when exiting the car.

I think what helps extend batery is religiously putting it sleep mode when not in use. Set the backlight to 10% and use the "switch application" function to close apps not actively being used. Make sure maps are turned off when not in use. Set viigo, youmail, and bbweather to only update every few hours vs every few minutes. Rely on the vibrate function and LED indictor tp do their job and don't "wake it up" obsessively to check for new messages every 2 minutes. Use vibrate for incoming messages rather that ringtones at full blast. Turn off auto flash on camera. I also do battery pulls every few days just for the **** of it. I don't know if that does anything for battery life - but it can't hurt.

agreed! I do about the same as this poster and I have about 2-3 days life.
    02-01-09 08:38 AM
    my battery usually lasts roughly 16 hours.
    Thats a beautiful pic of yourself, nice avatar.
    02-01-09 08:45 AM
    I guess that I fall into the "power user" category. When traveling on biz, I use phone about 4-5 hours/day, usually ALWAYS with my Plantronics BT ear piece. I receive/send somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-70 emails/day. I do not use BES, my work & personal email use BIS. Add in some browsing & texting... and it gets a pretty good workout.

I just installed Slacker last night. I've heard some folks say that is a battery killer. I'll find out over the next few days and if that is true... I'll delete it. Other than that, I do not run many 3rd party apps. Maps are ok - but I have a Garmin that I travel with, so maps on BB pale in comparison.

Off the charger in the AM, around 8. By dinner I am down to around 30%. When it goes back on the charger before bed, it's usually around 20% +/-. I don't do too much with it in the evening, unless I am out & about.

I am very satisfied with battery life on the berry. Hands down significantly better than the Moto Q that I dumped!!!
    02-01-09 08:45 AM
    on a full charge, my berry lasts for about 2-3 days. but, i never use bluetooth for anything so im sure if i did, that number would change dramatically. hows about wifi, is that as big of a drain on the battery as bluetooth?
    02-01-09 09:01 AM
    Never really tested this. I charge my phone whenever possible and
    it is off and on the charger at night while I sleep. Even with very
    heavy usage I never let it get to less than 40%.

And for those of you testing the limits of your battery, continually
    allowing it to deep discharge is the single worst thing you can do
    for the overall "health" of the battery.
    02-01-09 09:11 AM
    These batteries are Lithium Ion and do not develop any kind of memory, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. BBs just have so many more things going on than a normal phone that charging them every day is to be expected. A large backlit screen, lots of apps, etc, all contribute to power drains.

The single worst thing you can do for any rechargeable battery is to let it sit for an extended period of time without ANY charge to it. Pretty much any type of rechargeable battery is kinda like your car battery. If they sit around without being charged, they lose capacity. So when you finally come back to it and recharge it, the display will say that it's fully charged, but doesn't last very long...that's because it's lost some of it's capacity (mAh).

I'm sure that nobody is letting this happen with their BB, but it's good to know for digital cameras, camcorders and whatnot.

I've worked for a battery retailer for almost 5 years, and I can tell you, that's what kills most Lithium Ion batteries.

The best thing you can do for your digital cameras, camcorders, power tools, motorsport, and basically all rechargeable batteries is to charge them up at least once a month, even if you're just planning on putting them back in the closet or whatever.

Just a little tip.

As far as your BB goes, I'd do whatever you can to lessen the many drains you put on the battery. Alex1 posted some good ideas earlier.
    02-01-09 09:41 AM
    Also, extended use of a travel charger is not recommended. Most car chargers will charge a battery at a much faster rate than the home chargers do but they do not cut off when the battery is fully charged. That's why the previous poster mentioned that a 5 minute burst from a travel charger seems to make such a big difference.

It is possible to overcharge a battery when using a travel charger, so the best recommendation when using them is to unplug it as soon as you see that the battery is fully charged.

Home chargers are designed to cut off when the battery is fully charged, so there isn't much to worry about there.
    02-01-09 09:55 AM
    @ icecold - good info, I was unaware if that. Thank you very much.

02-01-09 11:33 AM
    During your 4 hour trip, did you always have a good signal? If the phone has to search for a signal, that will drain the battery faster when in areas with no signal at all. Did you have bluetooth on while not actually using it?
    02-01-09 11:39 AM
    My usually last a couple days, I do some texting, constant email and phone usage.....mine is on rest mode when not in use.
    02-01-09 11:55 AM
    Mine lasts about 2-3 days too. That's with (approximately) 20-25 minute phone calls, texting and light internet use. I had been charging overnight, but I had to stop that and charge only during the day because one of my cats likes to chew on the cord. Luckily my husband was able to fix it so I didn't have to buy a new one . . .
    02-01-09 04:11 PM
    Depends what im doing with mine, if im using it alot during the day meaning tons of texting and web browsing ill usually get a day and half or so. If its minor usage like texting and minor web browsing it usually last about 2 and a half days on a full charge.
    02-01-09 04:28 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD