Hello,

I downloaded a new theme that is a .jad file. What is it and how do I load it? Thanks fellow CrackBerry Heads!
    11-08-08 06:23 AM
    To install a jad fille, go to the website address given on your phone using the BlackBerry browser. Download the file to your phone and it will install on its own. Done.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    11-08-08 06:34 AM
    Thanks for the VERY quick reply.
    11-08-08 06:39 AM
    Umm...How to do it without downloading the file through the phone..
    11-08-08 06:50 AM
    \

You have to find a Zip file if you dont want to do it by phone, .jad files are ota only and done directly by the device.
    11-08-08 07:41 AM
    I did a trick with a .jad file, that I got through a download.

1. Copy the .jad file to your sdcard
    2. Open up your media icon
    3. Click on the menu button
    4. Click explore
    5. Find your .jad file on your sdcard (media card)
    6. Click on the .jad file

It should do an install just like OTA (over the air).

I hope this helps.

(I know this trick will work on the 8320 and 8330, but I haven't tested it on any other phones)
    manxdriver and fuzzycookie like this.
    11-08-08 08:11 AM

4. Click explore

I hope this helps.

(I know this trick will work on the 8320 and 8330, but I haven't tested it on any other phones)
    This trick works sometimes. I did the same thing on my 8330 and the download kept failing saying it couldn't find the file. If you have a jad/jar to cod/ alx converter its alittle more time comsuming but the phone then recognizes the apps in that format

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    manxdriver likes this.
    11-08-08 08:20 AM
    I did that download the file with the pc saved to a micro sd..open it with the BB but it tried to download it anyway..and now I do not have a data plan..just using the simple phone.
    11-08-08 08:23 AM
    You shouldn't need a data plan to try that. You're not downloading it with your phone, you're installing it.

11-08-08 08:24 AM
    You shouldn't need a data plan to try that. You're not downloading it with your phone, you're installing it.

I know..I do not need it, that is why I'm doing it this way, the thing is when I open the file through the bb it goes to download the file instead of installing
    11-08-08 08:32 AM
    It will, its acting like you're downloading it OTA but its going to pull the file off your mediacard instead. Then it says installing, shortly after

11-08-08 08:39 AM
    It will, its acting like you're downloading it OTA but its going to pull the file off your mediacard instead. Then it says installing, shortly after

umm..not sure It does that after a while it shows download failed...
    11-08-08 08:48 AM
    Using the .jad off the sdcard technique also requires that you have the necessary .cod files that go along with it. I found this out due to an app I had to install manually.
    11-08-08 12:26 PM
    A jad file is just a text file with the link and some settings to a jar/cod file. The jar/cod file is the program itself. Hence why it still downloads when you run the jad from the sd card.

11-09-08 01:31 AM
    You could try downloading this software that converts .jar files to .alx files, which you can then install onto the BB using Desktop Manager:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ft-aka-me.html

You will also need to download the Blackberry JDE from blackberry.com:

BlackBerry - Development Tools and Downloads

(I chose the 4.6 version - the first one in the list under Java Application Development)

But... when you install this you'll probably find out that you haven't got the required version of Java installed on your PC and you'll then have to install that from the Sun website (luckily though, your browser should automatically open the download page and you can download that.

Both the JDE and the Java downloads are like 150 MB each and can take a while to download.

I know this is a ridiculously long-winded procedure, but IT WORKS! and once you've got the stuff installed it's pretty quick to convert stuff from .jad files to BB installation files. (.alx)

The guy brandon whose thread I linked to in the first link is the developer of the conversion application "Jar 2 Alx" and he's offering it free but says he'd be very grateful of any donations. His thread seems very helpful and he's taking on feedback, so it's a great download.

Hope this helps.
    11-09-08 07:44 AM
    Exactly what davoid just said. A jar file is the main file (like a cod file) but the phone cannot install this format for some odd reason and either needs a jad (ota) or cod/alx file. It is more time consuming but once you do it, it gets easier. Btw some companies limit what you can download in specific file formats. Like I can only download a jad file that's about 350kb, anything higher, it fails. This way is def more reliable.

11-09-08 07:51 AM
    For the above who mentioned the .jar converting software, that's ONLY for .jar. What do you do if you need to convert .JAD? Well, that software simply won't do the trick. I need software that can de-compile all those .cod and .jar files in that little .jad file so I can put it on my blackberry curve 4.5 OS.
    02-08-09 09:51 AM
    Im really trying to figure this out, as you said, .jar files work with that... what do we do with .jad files?
    03-16-09 11:58 PM
    Since these are OTA install files that is still the best and easiest way to install. Click on the link with your BB browser at the web site and you'll be prompted to download the app. You can also email the link to your BB and click and install from the email.
    03-17-09 07:18 AM
    I am trying to load Jar and Jad files on my 8330 curve from Verizon. I have tried this multiple ways including the way the software company said (copy to device) and the way you suggested in this thread. I keep getting a 907 Jar file error or if it does download it won't function properly when I tried to operate it. It has been almost 3 weeks and I am frustrated! I am so glad I found this site. Anyone have any ideas? If anyone is close to Brevard county Florida I would gladly pay you to do it for me!
    05-27-09 04:39 PM

4. Click explore

I hope this helps.

You guys are awesome. I was having the same problem with Berry Popups and this fixed the problem! Thanks!!!!
    06-01-09 08:28 AM
    You guys are awesome. I was having the same problem with Berry Popups and this fixed the problem! Thanks!!!!
    Oops spoke too soon! It was downloading when I said it fixed the problem-then it said download failed "907 COD File not found"....hmmm-any other suggestions?
    06-01-09 08:30 AM
    Google the app named OTALoader. When you run it paste in the url to the .jad and it will get all the required files. Then move the files folder to your sd card, browse to the .jad file in media manager explorer, select the .jad file and hit open. This does not work 100% but works more often than not and is fairly quick.

forkup

06-01-09 12:20 PM

4. Click explore

I hope this helps.

worked for me,but i got 907 invalid cod file not found,,,but its not the technique that made it invalid. the technique works. thanks alot for the tip.
    12-14-09 05:45 AM

4. Click explore

I hope this helps.

It did not work for me

Just said download failed.
    01-04-10 01:56 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD