Iv'e had my 8310 curve from at&t for a little over a year. My operating system is still the one it originally came with-I believe it's 4.2. I received a text from at&t telling me I need to upgrade my operating system to 4.5 asap. I've heard that you have to be really carefull when updating the operating system because if you do something wrong, it can mess up the phone. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on the easiest way to do all this? Do I need to upgrade my desktop software before the OS upgrade, or after? I went to the blackberry website and they have several Operating systems listed, as well as several desktop upgrades- how can I make sure I choose the right one? Do I download the new OS to my desktop first and then transfer to the blackberry?

Im sure people will tell me to do a forum search for OS upgrade instructions, but I can't find anything that gives me strait step-by-step instructions. If anyone else can find this, please send me a link. I appreciate any help that can be given to me.:):)
    04-03-09 06:53 PM
    It's really quite simple. Did you read through the sticky in this forum for the latest OS for the 8310? You have to use a 8310 OS, though, so don't just use any OS for any 83xx curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 07:18 PM
    Iv'e had my 8310 curve from at&t for a little over a year. My operating system is still the one it originally came with-I believe it's 4.2. I received a text from at&t telling me I need to upgrade my operating system to 4.5 asap. I've heard that you have to be really carefull when updating the operating system because if you do something wrong, it can mess up the phone. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on the easiest way to do all this? Do I need to upgrade my desktop software before the OS upgrade, or after? I went to the blackberry website and they have several Operating systems listed, as well as several desktop upgrades- how can I make sure I choose the right one? Do I download the new OS to my desktop first and then transfer to the blackberry?

Im sure people will tell me to do a forum search for OS upgrade instructions, but I can't find anything that gives me strait step-by-step instructions. If anyone else can find this, please send me a link. I appreciate any help that can be given to me.
    The upgrade process is straightforward and not very complicated. However, you must follow the process step by step or you can brick your berry. Even if your run into problems there are detailed guides and unlimited assistance here that will get you back up and running. Also, it's very important to be patience, because the upgrade process can take over an hour and at times it will seem like nothing is happening at all.

Now that I've given you some cautions, here's what you do. If you are not using DM 4.5 or 4.6, download DM 4.6 here:https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22 and install it in windows.

I would recommend you get it without Media Manager.

Next, follow the instructions in the sticky thread for your device posted at the top of the forum. There is a link in the thread for the OS file. Don't worry if it's not from your carrier. OS's are device specific. You must install the OS in Windows.

Before you start the update process, you should read these threads:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

Good luck.
    04-03-09 08:24 PM
    Ummm.. what if you don't have windows?
    04-04-09 06:59 PM
    You cannot upgrade your phone OS without a computer running Windows.

Find a friend who will help you if you don't have Windows.
    04-04-09 09:27 PM
    Mac + BB = not play nice together.
    04-05-09 06:53 AM
    dumb question ( i do not have att this is my GF phone) after the update, what do i need to do to re-activate the phone? i know with verizon i just need to do *228.
    04-05-09 09:17 AM
    Krissy-I was in the same situation you were...phone about a year, same OS it came with, etc. I received the text from RIM, and finally decided to take the plunge. Go to the bb update page they reference to you. From that site, you will plug in your phone and it will do all the updates while giving you all the steps. It takes about an hour, and went flawlessly. I read all the info from all the good folks here on cb, and the one thing everyone stressed is to not unplug your phone during the update. It will prompt you when it's finished to unplug, or will tell you there's an error. I did not have any problems with the update this way. It was simple and I'm very glad I did it. Let me know if you need anything else!
    04-05-09 09:34 AM
    dumb question ( i do not have att this is my GF phone) after the update, what do i need to do to re-activate the phone? i know with verizon i just need to do *228.
    It normally reactivates automatically. If not got Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table, Menu > Register Now. You may also need to resend service books.
    04-05-09 10:34 AM
    Mac + BB = not play nice together.
    Lmao that's a good one. Hopefully Krissy if you've tried this it went successfully. Good luck!
    04-05-09 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD