when i drag my individual music folders in music category of media card---
    my folders lost their names--they show as "unknown"

been driving me crazy for 2 days------i have different categories for my music ( jazz-rock etc)
    can someone help me??
    07-10-10 07:14 AM
    That should not happen.

Folders dragged to Media Card\blackberry\music\.... should retain their Windows folder names.

What phone do you have and how are you copying/dragging?
    07-10-10 07:29 AM
    i have 8320---and i just drag folders in " blackberry "music folder in mrdia card( 4 gig)
    when i disconnect card and go to media music---and i click albums or artist---it all says" unknown"--
    my categories should be jazz-classical-rock( 3 folders)--but i see " 3 unknown s"

???????

can u help me??---i even formatted my card
    07-10-10 08:23 AM
    You need to ensure that the ID3 tags (the track tags) are all coded correctly on your songs. The album and artist information is obtained from the TRACK TAGS not from the folder structure.
    07-10-10 08:53 AM
    okay--let me clarify---
    i am a songwriter---these are not other artist album selections---
    my songs are put in folders in my own categories ( mp3)
    i dragged folders into media card---i see folders but with no name---but-on my pc they are individually named---

i have no idea what and id3 tag is--

when i open up all songs from blackberry --i see all my songs --but i cannot see individual folders( with their approprate heading

tom
    07-10-10 09:06 AM
    ID3 tags are things you can set so that devices can identify the music you're playing. There are tons of freeware programs that let you create ID3 tags for your music. Check out sourceforge.
    07-10-10 09:11 AM
    i use mp3tag its free and its eazy to use just when u rename the artist and title save first or if u go to another track the info will not be saved
    07-10-10 09:20 AM
    i appreciate all the help -----please direct me to easiest way to import a folder( with music-mp3)---and not lose folder name--

thanx
    07-10-10 09:26 AM
    I don't think the BB understands directories like that. It just takes all the music on your memory card and organizes it by ID3 tags....
    07-10-10 09:40 AM
    can i put an id3 tag on a folder???
    07-10-10 09:44 AM
    no, but the ID3 tags let you make album names. Then the BB music app would recognize the different albums, based on what the ID3 tag says. You could dump all the .mp3 files into one big directory, and as long as they have different id3 tags for album names, the device sorts it out.
    07-10-10 09:50 AM
    i appreciate all the help -----please direct me to easiest way to import a folder( with music-mp3)---and not lose folder name--
    Again, the BlackBerry is not going to read the information from the folder.

It reads the information from the songs.

Google Search for ID3 tags and you will find information on software to tag the songs. (MP3 Tag, Media Monkey, iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc)

Or you can use the File Browser on your computer to edit the Properties of the songs and add the information.

Or instead of looking at the songs with the Media Player on the device, use the File Browser on the device and navigate the folders directly.
    07-10-10 10:12 AM
    Thanks Motorcyle Mama. Its kind of a hard concept to explain w text but easy to demonstrate in person
    07-10-10 10:29 AM
    no, but the ID3 tags let you make album names. Then the BB music app would recognize the different albums, based on what the ID3 tag says. You could dump all the .mp3 files into one big directory, and as long as they have different id3 tags for album names, the device sorts it out.
    Also by playlist. I actually wrote a vbscript to create playlists for me of a pre determined folder and all subforums under of 1 level using the folder name as the name of the playlist and the actual file names as the files to be played. I will post it but only if permitted. I know I am not known enough to be a trusted source so just let me know and I will do what I can.
    07-10-10 10:41 AM
    i still need help----
    is there a way to copy a music folder( mp3) from my pc with a title( such as-"jazz")
    and copy it to media card--and not lose title
    i keep trying but shows as unknown--in my blackberry 8320
    i tried id3 tag software --but it keeps titling all the songs as jazz---i want to just title a folder so i know what is in it when i open blackberry??

can anyone help me
    07-10-10 11:47 AM
    If you use the built in Media reader, it uses meta tags. This was already explained. Your folders will not appear anywheres other than the file browser. Your best bet is to create playlists on your PC and copy those and the folders over to your berry.
    07-10-10 11:49 AM
    i still need help----
    is there a way to copy a music folder( mp3) from my pc with a title( such as-"jazz")
    and copy it to media card--and not lose title
    i keep trying but shows as unknown--in my blackberry 8320
    i tried id3 tag software --but it keeps titling all the songs as jazz---i want to just title a folder so i know what is in it when i open blackberry??

can anyone help me
    Come on, now.

We are trying to help you, but you are not reading the instructions we are posting.

THERE IS NO WAY to get the BlackBerry Music Application to read the folder names.

Ok?

If you only want to use the folders and don't want to go through the process of editing the track tags, then use the FILE BROWSER on the device.

Open the Media Center.
    Press the Menu button.
    Select Explore.
    Navigate to the folders in which you have placed the files. And open them that way.
    07-10-10 11:55 AM
    thank you motorcycle mama---

you helped me figure it out

very much appreciate it !!!!
    as a songwriter--very necessary
    07-10-10 01:30 PM
    i finally put it together when u said i can use my file browser of each file
    i did--and i titled each file where it said" album title"
    07-10-10 01:34 PM
    All your MP3 files should be put directly in the BlackBerry>Music folder on the microSDHC card.
    07-10-10 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD