I know it says 2gb is the max but does that mean an 8gb memory stick won't work?
    07-11-08 02:30 AM
    Welcome to CB.

An 8GB card will work in the device, but the unit will only use what your OS allows it to. I'm not sure what the 8330 allows, but I thought it was higher than 2GB.

What I mean is that you can save stuff to the card just fine, but if your OS limits it to 2GB, that's the max you can save on the card regardless of the actual memory size.
    07-11-08 02:32 AM
    I have an 8gb microsd in mine, works perfectly.
    07-11-08 02:33 AM
    Welcome to CB.

An 8GB card will work in the device, but the unit will only use what your OS allows it to. I'm not sure what the 8330 allows, but I thought it was higher than 2GB.

What I mean is that you can save stuff to the card just fine, but if your OS limits it to 2GB, that's the max you can save on the card regardless of the actual memory size.
    yea im pretty sure its 2gb for the 8330. I just got it and i was wondering why they would put a limit on how big of a memory stick i can use, i mean its not like they will be paying for the memory stick lol.
    07-11-08 02:41 AM
    Hit Alt+Shift+H on your keyboard to see what OS you are running. If you have OS 4.3 or higher (which you should) you should be able to use the entire 8GB card.
    07-11-08 03:10 AM
    Hit Alt+Shift+H on your keyboard to see what OS you are running. If you have OS 4.3 or higher (which you should) you should be able to use the entire 8GB card.
    yea its 4.3.0.127
    07-11-08 03:18 AM
    He.re's the current list of which sizes of Media Card works with which OS

* BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2GB microSD
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8GB microSDHC
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 Up to 32GB microSDHC - rumored for the Bold et al
    * Verizon 4.2.2.196 OS supports up to 8GB source JeffH - thanks

To find which OS your phone is curently running go to Options, About (third line down) or type Alt-LeftShift-H
    07-11-08 03:19 AM
    Thanks for your help everyone
    07-11-08 03:26 AM
    Think of memory cards like hard drives. In order to be able to use the capacity the software/OS has to be coded to support the size. In the pc world there were 3 or 4 points at which hard drive capacity exceeded what the software/OS was cabable of seeing/using. Patches were made so that the larger capacity drives could be used. The same goes for memory cards too. It would appear with 4.6 they coded future forward so that they are caught with their pants down as card capacity increases. Storage capacity and media is rapidly advancing even more so than it has in the past. It is quite amazing how much info is stored compared to the size of the media.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD