I have a BlackBerry Curve 8330. I have several ringtones in MP3 format that I copied from my pc to a micro SD. Put the card in my phone and all the mp3s are recognized as music and not ringtones. I can set any of them to a ringtone for the entire phone, but they are not available as ringtones for individual contacts.

How can I take the mp3s on my sd card and assign different mp3s as ringtones to different individuals in my address book?

thanks
    12-06-09 10:40 PM
    Go to the contact in your Address Book, Menu>Edit>Menu>Add Custom Ringtone.

Click for ringtones, go to the top of the list and you will find Browse...click that. Click Media card, scroll down, and you will find your list of Mp3s, select the one you want and save.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-06-09 at 11:02 PM.
    12-06-09 10:59 PM
    That worked great thanks! Can I move all the ringtones/sounds/mp3s off of the micro sd to the phone, so I can use the card for other things?
    12-07-09 04:53 PM
    Yeah, you can, but they will take up a lot of memory and in turn that will make your phone run bad. A decent size MP3 can be as big as 5 mb's. Just a handful would eat up all your memory. You can move them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

12-07-09 05:05 PM
    That worked great thanks! Can I move all the ringtones/sounds/mp3s off of the micro sd to the phone, so I can use the card for other things?
    No, you cannot. There are safeties to prevent this, and the solution to that is to invest in a larger media card.

The average Mp3 music file is 4 MB. How many do you think you're gonna get into your device memory?

And since apps must be stored in device memory to be executed, why would you want your DM clogged with music files?

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-07-09 at 05:41 PM.
    12-07-09 05:39 PM
    I am just getting in to the Blackberry world after many years with Winmo. It is quite a departure from one world to the other. I have been doing quite a bit of reading here but just getting into posting. I tried many "searches to find this info but it took quite a while. I'll learn as I go. Now if I can find the magic combination to set an SMS tone I'll be good to go!!

Thank you again!

Go to the contact in your Address Book, Menu>Edit>Menu>Add Custom Ringtone.

Click for ringtones, go to the top of the list and you will find Browse...click that. Click Media card, scroll down, and you will find your list of Mp3s, select the one you want and save.

12-27-09 04:33 PM
    what i just used was an mp3 editor for my ring tones. i just cut the mp3 to the way i want to hear as my ring tone and then save the cut mp3 in my BB under ring tones on my SD card. i make my ring tones about 30secs long. phone rings no more than that
    12-28-09 02:20 AM
    I am just getting in to the Blackberry world after many years with Winmo. It is quite a departure from one world to the other. I have been doing quite a bit of reading here but just getting into posting. I tried many "searches to find this info but it took quite a while. I'll learn as I go. Now if I can find the magic combination to set an SMS tone I'll be good to go!!

Thank you again!
    Use a editor like mentioned above to cut your tones to 30 secs.. zi use garage band to clip mine so I here the part I want to and not the intro..

If you go to profiles ,click advanced, select or highlight the profile you use, menu ,edit and scroll to sms and assign a sms tone, or an email tone, or bbm, phone etc..
    12-28-09 02:31 AM
    Audacity might be another mp3 editor option for you to trim those mp3's down to ringtone length.
    12-28-09 10:11 PM
    For Ring Tones, I used Phonezoo.com. It works perfectly and very easy to use.
    12-28-09 10:48 PM
    I second audacity. Works GREEEAT!

--Tony the Tiger
    12-29-09 12:01 PM
    I'll give each one an audition.
    Thank you!
    12-31-09 04:31 PM
    I just bought a 8gb sandisk micro SD from rat shack on sale for 24.99. Thought it was a good deal for sale price. I loaded lots of music and podcast on my 8830. Thought I would share.

Peace.
    01-01-10 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD