Anybody have any problems with housings ordered from here?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 10:20 AM
    I would look to see who made them. Amazon is just a clearinghouse so they're probably just selling some that someone else made. Kinda like buying on ebay, depends on what's being sold. Asking advice here, you'd be better off showing us which housing you want to buy, then asking advice.
    03-28-09 10:23 AM
    Verizon Silver OEM Original RIM Blackberry 8330 Curve Housing Case Faceplate with Lens U Bottom Cover New:Amazon:Electronics

Idk if this link will work...but its that one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 12:48 PM
    I bought one for mine from a seller on Amazon. It's an OEM that was stripped from a T-Mobile phone. The problem was that it was stripped ppory and the rails had damage to the snaps and to on of the screw holes. Also, it was advertised as complete and even showed the speaker, battery contact and back cover clip mechanism in the pictures but it didn't come withtese items. I just swapped them out with my original curve parts but it turned a 20 minute job into an hour and a half.

I contacted the seller who offered me full replacement or a discount of 50%. Since I was able to make the thing work, Itook the discount.
    03-28-09 01:03 PM
    I have purchased several complete housing sets through Amazon. One vendor that I like is in San Diego (ca-solutions) and the items are take-offs, meaning they are stripped phones, everything but the motherboard, the actual phone. These might be warranty or defective units from someplace and they take it apart and sell the pieces, like an auto chop shop, only legal (I hope). The ones I've purchased look OEM and in excellent condition. They list it as new, but ???, who knows? For $30 -$36 complete, it's a good deal. There's lot of OEM 8300 8310 8320, Pearl, and recently I've seen some 8330 items. Same things listed from vendors in NY & I just got a faceplate from a vendor in NJ for $14 incl. frt. (this was an eBay order). Shopping on Amazon, at least you can dispute issues through them and they will protect you to a certain extent by monitoring your written discussions online. The vendors have been very responsive to issues. Freight & pricing is a game so look at their policies. Some inexpensive items have huge per shipment fees and shipping costs.

Same as CaptainHawk1, I had some broken and scratched pieces and they offer a discount, but I chose the replacement parts. Do you know the vendor you're dealing with?

Good luck shopping!
    Last edited by shfjcs; 03-28-09 at 01:19 PM.
    03-28-09 01:15 PM
    I have purchased several complete housing sets through Amazon. One vendor that I like is in San Diego (ca-solutions) and the items are take-offs, meaning they are stripped phones, everything but the motherboard, the actual phone. These might be warranty or defective units from someplace and they take it apart and sell the pieces, like an auto chop shop, only legal (I hope). The ones I've purchased look OEM and in excellent condition. They list it as new, but ???, who knows? For $30 -$36 complete, it's a good deal. There's lot of OEM 8300 8310 8320, Pearl, and recently I've seen some 8330 items. Same things listed from vendors in NY & I just got a faceplate from a vendor in NJ for $14 incl. frt. (this was an eBay order). Shopping on Amazon, at least you can dispute issues through them and they will protect you to a certain extent by monitoring your written discussions online. The vendors have been very responsive to issues. Freight & pricing is a game so look at their policies. Some inexpensive items have huge per shipment fees and shipping costs.

Same as CaptainHawk1, I had some broken and scratched pieces and they offer a discount, but I chose the replacement parts. Do you know the vendor you're dealing with?

Good luck shopping!

Yes its ca-solutions. So basically the parts are not new? I thought I would ask this question in the first place cause they are cheaper than other sites like cnn.cn.
    03-28-09 03:37 PM
    I think they are new phones (defects or display units maybe) that they strip, so the cases are new, but not new-new, if you know what I mean. They look very good to me. The Curve & Pearl kind of gets dinged up quickly anyway. Their customer service was excellent to me. I had a few "inferior" pieces that they exchanged quickly, but by USPS snail mail. If you're not in a hurry to get things, they're great. Hope this helps.
    03-28-09 04:59 PM
    I think they are new phones (defects or display units maybe) that they strip, so the cases are new, but not new-new, if you know what I mean. They look very good to me. The Curve & Pearl kind of gets dinged up quickly anyway. Their customer service was excellent to me. I had a few "inferior" pieces that they exchanged quickly, but by USPS snail mail. If you're not in a hurry to get things, they're great. Hope this helps.
    Ok so when I get it I shouldnt expect scratches and what not? Thats mainly what Im worried about. Also, the lens is what Im concerned about too. Has it come up at all for you or is it glued down like a new one would?

Thanks for all your help
    Last edited by cpa443; 03-28-09 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo
    03-28-09 05:24 PM
    Their lenses have always been perfect. They put a protective film on both sides. I had 2 separate orders that had issues. First one was a non-qwerty keypad and the second was a broken tab on one of the side rails. I had to mail the keypad back before they sent the correct replacement. As far as the side rail, they just sent a replacement (instead of taking a discount).
    Edit: the lens is secured to the faceplate securely. Sorry, read your question again and missed this.
    3 things you have to remember before replacing the faceplate:
    1 - remove the foam seal if it split and got stuck on the lcd retainer (the metal part around the lcd). If you don't, the faceplate will bulge a bit. I really think that's why some people on this forum complain about bulging after they change the faceplate.
    2 - The upper part of the side rails with the hole goes above the lcd retainer. This will also cause the faceplate to bulge or not fit properly.
    3 - don't overtighten the T5 screws. They're really tiny and almost impossible to get out when they break.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
    03-28-09 06:01 PM
    lol dude, you don't to bump your own thread asking for advice on a housing off ebay. People will see it, and they will respond.
    03-28-09 06:02 PM
    Their lenses have always been perfect. They put a protective film on both sides. I had 2 separate orders that had issues. First one was a non-qwerty keypad and the second was a broken tab on one of the side rails. I had to mail the keypad back before they sent the correct replacement. As far as the side rail, they just sent a replacement (instead of taking a discount).

3 things you have to remember before replacing the faceplate:
    1 - remove the foam seal if it split and got stuck on the lcd retainer (the metal part around the lcd). If you don't, the faceplate will bulge a bit. I really think that's why some people on this forum complain about bulging after they change the faceplate.
    2 - The upper part of the side rails with the hole goes above the lcd retainer. This will also cause the faceplate to bulge or not fit properly.
    3 - don't overtighten the T5 screws. They're really tiny and almost impossible to get out when they break.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
    Thank you for all your help!!!

I just emailed you asking to talk there...but nevermind I was just getting impatient. thanks
    03-28-09 06:03 PM
    lol dude, you don't to bump your own thread asking for advice on a housing off ebay. People will see it, and they will respond.
    lol sorry I was getting impatient :P
    03-28-09 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD