I have the BlackBerry Curve (unsure of exact model number...) purchased 3 weeks ago, and my carrier is Sprint.

As of two days ago, the "loading" hourglass icon is constantly on screen, no matter what I'm doing, whether in a program or not. I've tried checking to see if anything is running, but I don't know how to do so other than "switch programs". I haven't loaded anything new onto the BB, and haven't done anything to it like dropping it or getting it wet. I turned it off and on, took out the battery a few times, and synced it with my computer. Nothing helps.

Ideas???
    09-02-08 04:58 AM
    I have the BlackBerry Curve (unsure of exact model number...) purchased 3 weeks ago, and my carrier is Sprint.

As of two days ago, the "loading" hourglass icon is constantly on screen, no matter what I'm doing, whether in a program or not. I've tried checking to see if anything is running, but I don't know how to do so other than "switch programs". I haven't loaded anything new onto the BB, and haven't done anything to it like dropping it or getting it wet. I turned it off and on, took out the battery a few times, and synced it with my computer. Nothing helps.

Ideas???
    I think this happened to a lot of us. I had the same problem all weekend. Try taking out your battery for at least 60 seconds. Then let your system reboot. Once it has rebooted type alt L alt G alt L alt G. This will open your error log. Delete all entries (this should free up your memory). Hopefully this should get you up and running. I don't think it was our phones I think its a bb rim issue! Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-08 06:50 AM
    I think this happened to a lot of us. I had the same problem all weekend. Try taking out your battery for at least 60 seconds. Then let your system reboot. Once it has rebooted type alt L alt G alt L alt G. This will open your error log. Delete all entries (this should free up your memory). Hopefully this should get you up and running. I don't think it was our phones I think its a bb rim issue! Good luck

Seconded, don't underestimate the power of of a battery pull. Let us know how it goes plz.
    09-02-08 08:42 AM
    This is the 2nd thread I read (different person different BB) that there was a constant hour glass issue. I just replied to that thead even though other had got the ball rolling. I didn't have anything unusual with my BB over the weekend all was normal hear. Did this happen only on one day for a certain period of time or is this something currently happening on your BB? I'm curious if the problem has been resolved and if so how. And if it hasn't been resolved I'm curious as to what solves it.

09-02-08 11:54 AM
    Thanks for the input! I tried the suggested battery pull and deleting the error log, but to no avail. Damn thing kept spinning the hourglass at me! I finally took it to Sprint today, and they did a hard reset of my phone. No more hourglass! Now, of course, I have to work out some other kinks - the browser has disappeared, etc (phone doesn't seem to know that my account has a data plan).

My husband's BB Curve developed the exact same problem today, and the tech took care of his phone at the same time. You need your account code to do this, and you can get that from a Sprint rep.

On another note, really great customer service at this Sprint store! 30-30 Steinway Street, Astoria, NY.
    09-02-08 06:58 PM
    Log into your BIS account and resend servicebooks. There is also the options > advanced options > hos routing table > menu > register now, I don't recall if that is needed again after a wipe. When I upgraded the OS on my BB it automatically registered and all I had to do was resend service books.

09-02-08 10:53 PM
    I had that stupid hourglass before, thats when you have alot of stuff in your device memory like pictures or videos and music (ringtones) just get a microsd memory card instead
    09-02-08 11:33 PM
    well, i have a 1 gb micro card, have had my blackberry exactly one week, tried several battery pulls/error log deletes/etc and i am still having the issue. its like water torture. its keeping me from receiving emails and txt messages as well. UGH!
    09-03-08 11:26 PM
    !!! my phone has started to do this too! i hadnt turned it off until i had to go on a flight. i just held the power button and it shut off. Now, the hourglass will not go away! i don't want to lose everything i've put on here!

also, i took out the battery and when i put it back on these shadowy-type icons appeared on my main menu for saved messages and compose. i have never had them before??

any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!!!!! THANK YOU!

ALSO!!!------ALL of my text messages have been deleted???????? what in the world is going on?!?!
    09-04-08 10:32 AM
    Ok first off it seems all bbs have had issues for the month of august. The carriers seem to have no idea what's going on. I have had to exchange me device three times already. First theuy said to download desktop manager the phone got worse. 2nd phone was calling everyone and sendong mesgs that were in the phone to all cells in the phone. Then phone was dropping calls and turning off and on by itself. The carrier said it was sim card. It wasn't 3rd phone would ring. Had me do reset hard reset wipe all that. Problem was a setting in the phone do not disturb was on yes instead of no. Took 3 phones for one person to tell me this. Told them put back on my web broser so I can get to crackberry cause the will let me know which I have found out here is that there was a global outage with bbs devices this passed weekend due to the storms going on. As far as that hourglass mines is always turning and won't go away. So until the storms die down and the outages are repaired that's it. Thank you crackberry for being who you are since no carriers think to check here to help others who don't know about you guys to understand their bbs better. Thank you again

09-04-08 11:53 PM
    I had it and could never get it to go away with battery pulls or any kind of resetes. It was being caused by facebook so I deleted the app and reloaded it and it has been fine so far

09-05-08 05:45 AM
    I've been having the same problem with my 8130! My carrier is Sprint. They replaced the first one, and now working on replacing my second one. Hopefully the third one is the charm...

The hour glass constantly flashes, battery only lasts 1/2 of its regular life, and delays everything (texting, trackball, and any push of a button)
    Also, don't push the side button for voice dialing, the phone will freeze, and you'll have to do a battery pull...

I bought insurance, because Sprint says they'll only replace it next time only if I have insurance! **** Sprint!
    09-23-08 05:04 PM
    I HATE when this happens. It only happens for me when I'm trying to access certain sites..including CB!!
    the only thing that makes it stop for me is a batt pull
    **sighs**
    09-24-08 12:50 AM
    I had it and could never get it to go away with battery pulls or any kind of resetes. It was being caused by facebook so I deleted the app and reloaded it and it has been fine so far

How were you able to tell that it was facebook? I've got the same constantly spinning hourglass and I noticed that a posting I made on facebook was repeated 3 times. Is there some definitive way to confirm a buggy application? I also see that someone mentioned memory issues, I'm using a 1GB SD card, but how can you clean up the cache?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    10-20-08 07:08 PM
    Facebook has been reportedly causing memory leaks for some users. The only solution is to delete it.

The media card is only used for media (ringtones, music, videos). It has no effect on memory availability on the unit.
    10-20-08 08:05 PM
    my curve 8330 with telus has been doing it since friday as well.. and it will not go away not even resetting. It did it two weeks into having it and the after wiping my phone twice it went away. Now nothing makes it go away. I've had to order a swap. The phone is only 2 month old, and it erases everything including new phone numbers that i've added with every time i remove the battery!
    10-20-08 09:36 PM
    My fiance's phone has done this and I've had customers with the same problem. I'm not sure what causes it but it usually goes away if you backup your phone and then give it a full wipe. After the wipe you can restore everything and it should work fine.

10-21-08 11:05 AM
    mine has done the same thing on multiple occasions. i purchased the fone in august and it has constantly needed me to call Telus BB support (terrible, basically they tell you to go online and dl app's to backup-wipe your fone, and they assume that you have a PC).

Telus told me to dl the BB device mgr app and the device update app, but the link to PocketMac takes you through a process which ends up letting you down as the link to the application is broken. (pocketmac .com / bborder.php)

i called Telus, waited like 25 mins, transfered to BB support, and the guy just powered thru a set of instructions and then asked if i had gotten all of what he said. i said no b/c i was working on the first step while he was spouting off the rest, he said he couldn't wait, i said to transfer me to someone else, and he hung up on me after refusing.

total ******.

so i think i'll delete facebook cuz that guy said it helped him and i'm at the point where i will try anything. any other tips for mac users w/ bb pearl? i've already replaced the phone once, and i have a 4gb SD card in there that i've copied EVERYthing onto from device memory. cleaned the memory. what else can i do?

HELP! SOS! WHATEVER! FIX MY FONE!
    02-21-09 01:17 PM
    I know many ppl have had issues since putting either facebook or myspace apps on their phones. So delete that app and see what happens. Have you tried a battery pull? Let us know...
    02-21-09 01:21 PM
    mine has done the same thing on multiple occasions. i purchased the fone in august and it has constantly needed me to call Telus BB support (terrible, basically they tell you to go online and dl app's to backup-wipe your fone, and they assume that you have a PC).

Telus told me to dl the BB device mgr app and the device update app, but the link to PocketMac takes you through a process which ends up letting you down as the link to the application is broken. (pocketmac .com / bborder.php)

i called Telus, waited like 25 mins, transfered to BB support, and the guy just powered thru a set of instructions and then asked if i had gotten all of what he said. i said no b/c i was working on the first step while he was spouting off the rest, he said he couldn't wait, i said to transfer me to someone else, and he hung up on me after refusing.

total ******.

so i think i'll delete facebook cuz that guy said it helped him and i'm at the point where i will try anything. any other tips for mac users w/ bb pearl? i've already replaced the phone once, and i have a 4gb SD card in there that i've copied EVERYthing onto from device memory. cleaned the memory. what else can i do?

HELP! SOS! WHATEVER! FIX MY FONE!
    You have cause to complain to Telus Support, those calls are recorded for complaints such as yours.

Fortunatly, you have found us instead.

The first problem is your computer. The Macintosh is not suitable for the job. Your best bet, borrow an hour of time on a friends Windows computer. It really is the only way.

The process is simple, download a couple files. Use the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to rebuild your corrupted Curve.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    02-21-09 01:44 PM
    My device (8830 - Verizon) just started doing the same thing after I installed the Facebook app. I orginally thought it was because my memory was full, which it was, but I freed up over a meg of memory and it continues.

I'm going to back up and wipe and see what become of it. I'll post to let you know the outcome.

Thanks for the advice.
    03-18-09 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD