I'm just trying to get a little clarity on this issue. I have added the unlimited hotsopt @ home calling feature that t-mobile offers and I'm not getting clear answers from the t-mobile reps (go figure right) as to exactly whats considered free/unlimited minutes. I know that I will recieve unlimited calls on my home wifi network, but what about other networks??? Say I'm at work and my phone connects to the wifi network and successfully shows/uses the 'UMA' connection, are these minutes free as well? Some reps have told me yes, any call made while displayinig 'UMA' is free/unlimited and other reps have told me that the only calls that qualify as free/unlimited are those that are made or recieved while on my registered home network.

Can someone with the service help me out? Thanks...
    03-11-08 09:11 AM
    I have that add-on, too, and check my online account's call log almost daily. Any call I make when I'm UMA (whether I'm connected to my network at home, my office, a hotspot, any wifi network) is counted/categorized as H@H unlimited.
    03-11-08 09:19 AM
    Yep, you said it, any call originating on UMA goes into the unlimited bucket. Handy when traveling out of the country!
    03-11-08 09:20 AM
    ok, thanks...just was trying to make sure before I go chatting away and then get this bill with crazy overage charges based on their reps lack of general knowledge.
    03-11-08 09:51 AM
    ^I resent that remark.
    03-11-08 11:21 AM
    u must be one of those reps with 'lack of general knowledge' that i spoke about ;-)
    03-11-08 12:33 PM
    This is what is states when I go into myT-mobile...

HotSpot@Home Talk Forever Mobile Add-on:

Make and receive unlimited nationwide calls over Wi-Fi both at home or at any U.S. T-Mobile HotSpot location anytime day or night.

$9.99

I was thinking of adding this too but was unclear as well as to what they would consider free calling since it says "home or at any T-mobile hotspot" and not any wi-fi connection.
    03-16-08 06:48 PM
    unclear as well as to what they would consider free calling since it says "home or at any T-mobile hotspot" and not any wi-fi connection.
    This seems complicated but it isn't.

ANY UMA call is free as long as it originates on any UMA connection anywhere and you have the H@H rate program. It is that simple.

Now here's where we all get confused.

T-Mobile only *support* calls that originate from your H@H router or T-Mobile hotspot. And by "support" I mean if you are having trouble sending or receiving calls, tech support will only get involved with your inquiry IF the trouble is related to calls to or from your home or to or from a HotSpot location. You cannot call T-Mobile and get support if your UMA connection is not working via your work router or the router at your geeky friend's apartment (unless it is a TMo UMA router).

In other words, TMo will only technically support calls essentially through their UMA network which is either on their H@H router and/or their HotSpot location.

Again, you can still make UMA calls anywhere with the H@H rate plan and they will all be free under the H@H rate plan. You can also start a call on UMA and then switch to a regular cell connection and the call will continue to be free as long as it ORIGINATED on a UMA connection.

Hope this info helps.
    03-16-08 07:43 PM
    ^I resent that remark.
    It's not meant to be personal Willie but I must let you know that the knowledge of some of your peers is downright shocking. I've been on the phone with several of your reps and known more (significantly more actually) about UMA than they did.

In fact, I had one of your reps ask me to help them with several questions one night.

TMo is my favorite company; your reps are generally head and shoulders above the competition in politeness; and, I really am a big supporter. Yet some of your reps lack even the most basic of training and this is an area where TMo could greatly improve.
    03-16-08 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD