CrackBerry User

PIN
    che hijo de la chingada!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Hide Phone number when sending SMS

Does anyone know of an application for the curve that can hide your phone number when sending out and SMS?

I know that AIM has an integrated application that can send SMS through IM, but im not sure as i cant download AIM on to my curve.

anyone have any ideas?
    Queenz_gambit

Blackberry 8310
    AT&T
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Looking at the options on my 8830, I don't see any way to do it. Frankly, I hope there's no 3rd party app that will do it either. I don't want people to have the ability to send me anonymous text messages.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

To use the sms version of aim just send a text to 4646. In the body type your aim name, a space, then your password.

This way you don't have to download anything and you can send ims via text to aim names as well as phone numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Looking at the options on my 8830, I don't see any way to do it. Frankly, I hope there's no 3rd party app that will do it either. I don't want people to have the ability to send me anonymous text messages.
    Completely agree.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask me for it

Or, change your callback number.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fubarberry89 View Post
    Or, change your callback number.
    I'm not sure if you're suggesting that to me or to the OP, so I'll address both.

From the OP perspective, I tried that before I responded to see if it would work. I deleted the call back number and sent myself an SMS. I got it, of course, and it was not identified as being from me, but when I replied, it came back to me, so for his purposes, that would violate his anonymity. I then tried deleting the Service Center number and got an error message and could not send the SMS. Based on those two outcomes, I responded as I did.

If you are suggesting "change your callback number" as a defensive mechanism for me, that misses my point. I'm not worried about people I send text messages to, sending one back to me. The circle of people I text is very very small, and I doubt it would ever occur to any of them to try to hide their identity. My concern is that my cell phone number has been handed out on thousands of business cards over the past few years. I've never tried to keep it private (though I won't publish it here!) and I've never had a problem with anybody abusing it.

I don't want to start getting spammed with texts comparable to what my email spam filters catch, nor is it feasible to change my cell number frequently. For those reasons, I hope the ability to text anonymously remains unavailable.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

You can also send a text using email. For example: phonenumber@vtext.com. i'm not sure of the addresses for other carriers but they can be easily found.

So the recipient would get a text and only see the email addy.

i'm assuming the op only wants to hide their cell number. Using the AIM method or email to text will work.

EDIT: this link, about halfway down, shows how to send sms via email to different carriers.

SMS gateway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by chrisy520; 08-08-2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

So, if you knew my cell number, you could send me a text via email and not reveal your cell number. I just tried it and sent myself a text from my pc.

When I click reply to the message on my blackberry, I get my pc email address, and when I send a reply, it comes to that address. I have no problem with that, because it's not anonymous.

That would seem to be a good solution for someone who simply wanted to avoid revealing their cell number. Thanks for explaining it.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    31AAA624

You can go to the service provider site verizon att nextel and send a text from there with out loggin in to ur account and the person will not know who it came from

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Badsheriff View Post
    You can go to the service provider site verizon att nextel and send a text from there with out loggin in to ur account and the person will not know who it came from

Tried it and unfortunately you are correct. When I replied to the message, the reply just went back to my cell. Since that's not a new capability, I don't suppose we've increased the risk of abuse by discussing it, and now I know. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm not trying to be "anonymous" per say, but the "please call #########" is annoying as all get out on every text I send.

Everyone I text is someone I know, thus they don't need my phone number on each text i send.

I tried deleting off the call back number and sending it to my husband and my daughter. Yup, my number is still there.

Is there nothing I can do?