Like the title says, I was about 80% complete in loading in a new OS through the Application Loader when Vista decides it's going to throw me a blue screen and shut down the PC.

My BB (Curve 8310) now appears to be dead, with just a double-flashing red LED on the status indicator.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime while I wait a response, I will be doing another OS Upgrade (or DOWNgrade for the matter) and put in XP on this damn PC.
    06-19-08 11:24 AM
    I don't know what to tell you about the bb, but on your computer you can set DM to run in a windows xp environment - that's what i did. stupid vista!
    06-19-08 11:28 AM
    I don't know what to tell you about the bb, but on your computer you can set DM to run in a windows xp environment - that's what i did. stupid vista!
    DM just lets you "simulate" a XP environment (look, feel, etc), but doesn't take place of the Kernel itself, which is the same garbage.

On the BB though, I'm sure there is a way to power the device on through the bootloader, and put it into some type of recovery mode. I know Motorola has this feature when I was updating/flexing the OS (this was all before I found the BB of course).

Can someone help?

Thanks
    06-19-08 11:34 AM
    Thing one, you must have a stable Vista and DM installation before proceeding. There is a beta version of DM 4.6 around but forum rules prevent me from posting the link so please PM me and I will pass it on to you.

Once you have removed DM 4.3 and installed 4.6 beta and, downloaded the and re-installed OS (the DM install will delete any installed OSs) of your choice.

Cut and Paste this code fragment into a text file named loader.bat on your desktop

set rim=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion
    cd %rim%
    cd Apploader
    ren vendor.xlm vendor.xxx
    loader /nojvm
    ren vendor.xxx vendor.xml
    exit

Connect your phone to a USB port that is dierectly connected to the PC (not via a USB hub) and switch on the phone.

Immediately double click on loader.bat to launch it. This should now re-launch the OS installation process.
    06-19-08 11:55 AM
    Thing one, you must have a stable Vista and DM installation before proceeding. There is a beta version of DM 4.6 around but forum rules prevent me from posting the link so please PM me and I will pass it on to you.

Once you have removed DM 4.3 and installed 4.6 beta and, downloaded the and re-installed OS (the DM install will delete any installed OSs) of your choice.

Cut and Paste this code fragment into a text file named loader.bat on your desktop

set rim=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion
    cd %rim%
    cd Apploader
    ren vendor.xlm vendor.xxx
    loader /nojvm
    ren vendor.xxx vendor.xml
    exit

Connect your phone to a USB port that is dierectly connected to the PC (not via a USB hub) and switch on the phone.

Immediately double click on loader.bat to launch it. This should now re-launch the OS installation process.
    WOW

I actually just in a way followed your method, but instead of creating and old-school DOS-like *.bat file (reminds me of the days of autoexec.bat), I simply renamed my vendor.xml to to vendor.xm_. I then started app loader by using the CMD START command as "loader /nojvm".

Once the app loader came up, it detected the BB, but with no valid PIN. It then says "Reading ARM", and prompted me to load the OS. It is currently loading in as we speak...and I will post back shortly.

Thanks!
    06-19-08 12:00 PM
    Well you don't actually have to create the batch file if you can simply read my code and type it into a DOS CMD window. You never really know in here just how much the other guy knows so I wrote the batch file to put all the commands that I wanted into one simple little file.

Let's hope what you are doing is going to work. I have PM'd you the neccessary link.
    06-19-08 12:08 PM
    Well you don't actually have to create the batch file if you can simply read my code and type it into a DOS CMD window. You never really know in here just how much the other guy knows so I wrote the batch file to put all the commands that I wanted into one simple little file.

Let's hope what you are doing is going to work. I have PM'd you the neccessary link.
    ...about 5 minutes into the hourglass/startup of the BB... I think it's working?

I also sent you a PM (not realizing you already sent me a link). I am still a bit confused about the DM.
    06-19-08 12:10 PM
    There is alittle trick to help the phone to 'keep listening' to the USB port in cases like this and it is to switch the phone on with the red button and to then keep pressing it once a second while you launch loader /nojvm

This is rumored to keep the phone awake while the handshake takes place.
    06-19-08 12:12 PM
    Okay... after about 12 minutes of the startup process, the phone is back.

Thanks again
    06-19-08 12:29 PM
    Excellent!!!
    06-19-08 12:30 PM
    Glad to hear it!
    I have Vista, but never had issues during an upgrade/dowgrade OS installation...
    06-19-08 12:32 PM
    Glad to hear it!
    I have Vista, but never had issues during an upgrade/dowgrade OS installation...
    All my PC's use XP...but this laptop I purchased came with Vista, and I am basically stuck with it unless I try to Google and hunt down all the drivers... seems like most laptop manufacturers these days don't even provide XP drivers anymore, which is pretty pathetic.
    06-19-08 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD