So I'm not completely stupid, I do know how to set the custom ringtones. BUT, I must be doing something wrong... Please read what I am doing and tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you!

Okay, so I selected a contact from my Address Book. I then select Edit. Once I get to the Edit Contact page I select "Add Custom Phone Tune" and then select the tune I want. This is where my problem sets in, once I press Save and then Close my Blackberry pops up with a message saying:

"Address updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."

I then asked my friend to call me and, alas, it did not work and did not save.

So what my question is, Am I doing something wrong? What does that even mean? What can I do to fix it?

Thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by mollythegreat; 10-30-08 at 11:45 AM.
    10-30-08 11:07 AM
    Check the exceptions under the profile.

Go to the profile, click on advanced. Make sure your friend's name is selected under "Use Active Profile Except For:"
    10-30-08 11:13 AM
    Thats an odd one .. are you on BIS? Maybe try a reboot and try again and see if that fixes it.
    10-30-08 11:13 AM
    Check the exceptions under the profile.

Go to the profile, click on advanced. Make sure your friend's name is selected under "Use Active Profile Except For:"
    Okay, I checked that and the name is not under the exception list. What do I need to do to add it? (Never done this before, sorry)
    10-30-08 11:20 AM
    Let's start all over and see if a battery pull will fix this.
    Pull out the battery while the BB is still on. Leave it out for 1 minute and put it back in. Wait until the BB completely re-boots and try adding the tune again. (like azeis mentioned above)

Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 10-30-08 at 11:42 AM.
    10-30-08 11:24 AM
    I think it is working now. I saved the ringtone and no message popped up! She just called me and it worked.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by mollythegreat; 10-30-08 at 11:41 AM.
    10-30-08 11:37 AM
    I think it is working now. I saved the ringtone and no message popped up! She just called me and it worked.

Thank you so much!
    Just for future reference, whenever you have issues like this, try a battery pull. That simple step will fix around 80% of the BB core problems and, it cleans out alot of "garbage" stuck in the BB.
    10-30-08 11:45 AM
    Great advice, thank you!
    10-30-08 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD