hi there. let me say thank you for the advice billbaby. Totally worked. However, the only difference was instead of it saying "desktop sync" -- mine had a gmail account with (sync) behind it. I suppose anyone reading this should follow his instructions and if "desktop sync" does not appear. Look for the only thing that has the word (sync) behind it. Good luck. and thanks again.
    06-10-10 09:12 PM
    It worked for me.
    06-16-10 12:32 PM
    This helped me! I was trying to restore my backed up address book but it was not saving onto my device. Turned off wireless sync and it worked thanks!!
    08-10-10 09:42 PM
    I have the same problem he did.. I couldnt get my address book, or my memos, or my password keeper....

I did as suggested, deleted the desktop sync, and got back the memos and password keeper, the address's are still greyed out...

Any other possible ideas?

Thanks
    05-23-11 08:54 PM
    I have the same problem with guys up there.
    but mine is the contacts all dissappeared by itself.. crazy right..
    in desperate searching for solution, there's an update device OS from RIM with
    popup when i connect my device..
    no where to go, i accept the update about an hour...

just like magic.. voila......... the contact option walk out from grey colour become available....
    hope that can help you guys.....

note: mine is curve 9300
    06-04-11 02:34 AM
    2) Delete the "Desktop Sync" service book
    This works. Just found this after 4 hours of failure at all other options and this was so easy and quick. Thank you!
    08-29-11 03:04 AM
    Thank god I found this thread! I deleted the desktop [sync] file from the service book and that didn't work...I almost gave up by I found my email busbydav@yahoo [sync] file and it finally worked!

I had 1200 contacts! whew!
    10-14-11 11:57 PM
    I type 'sync' on search bar and nothing comes up on torch 9800. Don't know how to delete the 'sync' services/programs on this phone. Trying to restore an address book, but it is dimmed out, says read only so can't restore. Anybody know how to fix this on a torch 9800? Thanks.
    04-04-12 01:30 AM
    I have searched and fiddled to finally find the answer for getting my contacts back for my bold:

options --> device --> advanced system settings --> Service book

I then has two email accounts set up which were at the top of the list which was displayed. They both had SYNC writted next to them. I deleted both of them and then carried out the back up from blackberry protect. Where the "contacts" had previously been greyed out, it waas now avaliable to select. I'm so pleased.

Thanks fo everyone who gave me an idea of what I was looking for

Hope this helps someone else, as I was having a mare!
    09-22-12 07:11 PM
    Thank you what u did worked just fine it unlocked the grey and my address book is back
    12-10-12 04:02 PM
    thnx mate, turining off wireless syncronization in the email account and connecting again to the DM , made that fussy check box available. :-) cheers mate
    12-13-12 01:04 AM
    IT WORKED!! Thanks.
    04-13-13 03:32 AM
    Hi guys,
    Breffen Honnard,

Are you trying to searching a free solution to Recover address book Outlook contacts- Then smoothly get "Address book recovery software". This software lets you how to recover Outlook contacts from damaged address book. If you are so confused about this recover software, then we have great idea. You should firstly choose “Free-trail version” of address book recovery software and smoothly get back all Outlook contacts. With this user can convert Outlook contacts into many desirable formats such as: PST, VCF, CSV file formats.
    View complete info about the software: http://www.addressbookrecovery.com

Last edited by Jack Mcalister; 10-15-13 at 12:41 AM.
    10-15-13 12:29 AM
    You can open you outlook application and then click on the file menu item a click on the �import and export�.
    1. After that a new wizard opens, then click the next button.
    2. Choose �.pst file� in the list of import files. Click on the browse button to select your PST files that contains your contacts.
    3. Now, click on the "Options" button. In the PST file options, choose "Subfolders." Use this option if you want to restore messages and contacts within personal folders.
    4. Click on the "Next" folder and then click the "Browse" folder. Choose a location for the contacts.
    5. And finally click the "Finish" button. It may take several minutes for the contacts to restore. Once finished, your address book is restored.

If above this steps cannot restore your address book then you can use third party repair tool to easily restore, and this is restore outlook contacts as well.
    05-07-14 06:32 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD