Hello, I've decided to give my girlfriend my VZW 8330 and I'm unsure as how to wipe/reformat the device. Also, my BB email that I made for that 8330...once I wipe the phone will that be gone forever?
    03-21-09 09:47 AM
    Yes once you wipe the handheld it will be gone . Go to options/security options/general settings then hit the menu key and select wipe handheld. If you want to upgrade the OS on the device there is a link in my signature for proper upgrade/downgrade procedure. I dont see a need to do this if your just giving it to your girl. Just wipe it and your good to go.
    Also if you decide to upgrade there is a sticky in the 83xx forum with instructions and OS for your device.
    03-21-09 09:51 AM
    Oh, one more thing. I would do a backup of your contacts and such before you wipe it. Unless your getting a new blackberry and plan on using the switch device wizard you will definitely need the backup for your contacts.
    03-21-09 09:53 AM
    Also, you should go into your BIS and delete all your email addresses.
    03-21-09 10:57 AM
    Why thank you all very much oh I did see in the forums (after I made the post..go figure) wiping the device using JL Cmder. Are there any benefits to this or doing it on the BB fine? Oh, and how do I go about deleting my email addresses? I only have the VZW/BB that I made for the phone, so how do I delete that?
    03-21-09 11:01 AM
    Jl Cmder will wipe the OS off the device giving you the 507 error. Then you install the new OS. If you just giving it to a friend wiping the handheld the way I showed you will be just fine. To delete the email address associated with your device go here
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    login and delete the account.
    03-21-09 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD