I managed to erase my entire device. I thought I was updating the software but instead I wiped the whole thing clean! lost my contacts calendar, apps, etc..

Now I dont have my Blackberry instant messanger icon. Any insight on how to get that back?

Also I have three items on my applications I'd like to know if anyone knows are current and correct:
    Blackberry 4.5.0 Core Applications
    Blackberry 4.5.0 Core AppSystem Software
    Browser 4.5.0
    08-27-09 06:40 PM
    You might want to try and reload your OS to get back whatever you lost but keep in mind that all personal info (contacts, messages etc) are gonna be gone and there is no way of retrieving them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 06:47 PM
    I'm pretty sure that's what I did..reloaded my OS (thought I was checking for updates)
    08-27-09 06:50 PM
    What model phone do you have?

08-27-09 06:51 PM
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    08-27-09 06:53 PM
    You never made a backup?

Try searching your My Documents folder for backup.ipd or loaderbackup.ipd files. Hopefully, you have something recent in there.

08-27-09 06:53 PM
    Ok, this is the latest OS for your model: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...stasia-263177/ Load that up and follow the instructions on how to properly upgrade your device. It says it's for the 8100 but it works the same for all models. Just replace the OS for the one designed for your phone and ignore the BlingBall section. http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/upgr...step-z-188139/

Good luck and let us know if this works for you.

08-27-09 06:58 PM
    Whoops, this is the OS for your model! Sorry about that!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...ficial-296697/

08-27-09 07:00 PM
    I managed to erase my entire device. I thought I was updating the software but instead I wiped the whole thing clean! lost my contacts calendar, apps, etc..

Now I dont have my Blackberry instant messanger icon. Any insight on how to get that back?

Also I have three items on my applications I'd like to know if anyone knows are current and correct:
    Blackberry 4.5.0 Core Applications
    Blackberry 4.5.0 Core AppSystem Software
    Browser 4.5.0
    Well when you update the software, to my knowledge, it basically works like scrubbing a computer. It cleans everything off and starts over with the new OS. So unless you made a backup file through BBDM, you're unfortunatly kinda hosed
    08-27-09 07:09 PM
    Thanks all! BIG lesson learned ...Backup needed!!!

Skullgame45: I am doing the update now

Would you know if this will bring back my BBM icon and accessibility to use it??
    08-27-09 07:27 PM
    It should be or it will be there once you resend your service books.
    08-27-09 07:35 PM
    Ok so I updated the OS.

The BBM icon is still missing.

Dare I ask what it means to "resend service books" do i need to do this now?
    ..yes I am clueless

Thanks a million
    Jenn
    08-27-09 07:42 PM
    Hook up you BB to the usb port and open Application Loader. Make sure BBM is checked off in the list of apps to be loaded on your BB.

08-27-09 07:46 PM
    Try going to Options>>Advanced Options>>Host Routing Table, press Menu and select Register Now.

If that doesn't help bring the icon back, you're gonna have to log in to your carriers BIS site and resend your service books that way.

And if all else fails, you could always upgrade to BBM 5.0.

08-27-09 07:47 PM
    skullgame probably has the best plan... if you have changed os's and want email you will need to get your service books anyway. Do you have a browser icon?
    08-27-09 07:50 PM
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I used the Application loader and got the BBM back along with a few others that were missing. That seemed to do it...now off to build all my contacts back

Luckily I had my BB Calendar synced to Google Calendar so I got most of it back.

Learned alot tonight! esp...importance of a BACKUP
    08-27-09 08:00 PM
    Search your computer for a file *.ipd

Do an advanced search and search hidden files also.

If you find any, you might be able to get your contacts, messages, and email back.

08-27-09 08:22 PM
    hey if anyone is still willing to assist... I can no longer read pdf files sent thru email. Any thoughts? I have the documents to go loaded but there is only Word, Slideshow, UP
    08-28-09 08:38 AM
    08-28-09 09:12 AM
    And yes, there is almost always someone willing to assist.
    08-28-09 09:13 AM
    Thanks Vortex, this forum has been very helpful!

That link was great but it sounds like I should be abnle to view PDFs from email...and I cant
    08-28-09 11:34 AM
    Have you run Documents to Go since reinstalling everything? You might need to set it up again.
    08-28-09 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD