This past Sunday I was at my local gym working out and when I came back to my locker I saw that my lock was cut. Inside my gymbag, car keys and AT&T 8310 were gone. So I know what you're all going to say, I should've had a password on my blackberry, but I didn't :/ , I'm embarrassed but it happened, on my next bb I will make sure to have a password (please don't rub in the fact that I had private emails and texts on there.) I can't change anything because it was my personal not work blackberry. Also, I did not have any insurance on the phone and the gym has signage which says they will not be held liable for any losses.

The reason I'm writing is to get some advice from the experts, what do I do now? What options do I have for a new (at least to me) 8310? I'm 9 months into my 2 year contract with AT&T without insurance and without a phone. Ideally I'd love to get a Bold, but between the uncertainty of its release date and its sure to be exorbitant price I'll probably be forced into staying with a 8310. Please help with any advice you can give as I'm completely disconnected from the world between 7am-7pm (work phone and email don't count.)

Thank you in advance,
    Marek
    10-21-08 05:23 PM
    I'd hope you atleast said something to the gym staff. At the VERY least they need to know someone is cutting the locks. You might get lucky and they catch the guy or maybe the manager will help you out at little. Did anything happen to your car? House keys?
    10-21-08 07:14 PM
    This past Sunday I was at my local gym working out and when I came back to my locker I saw that my lock was cut. Inside my gymbag, car keys and AT&T 8310 were gone. So I know what you're all going to say, I should've had a password on my blackberry, but I didn't :/ , I'm embarrassed but it happened, on my next bb I will make sure to have a password (please don't rub in the fact that I had private emails and texts on there.) I can't change anything because it was my personal not work blackberry. Also, I did not have any insurance on the phone and the gym has signage which says they will not be held liable for any losses.

The reason I'm writing is to get some advice from the experts, what do I do now? What options do I have for a new (at least to me) 8310? I'm 9 months into my 2 year contract with AT&T without insurance and without a phone. Ideally I'd love to get a Bold, but between the uncertainty of its release date and its sure to be exorbitant price I'll probably be forced into staying with a 8310. Please help with any advice you can give as I'm completely disconnected from the world between 7am-7pm (work phone and email don't count.)

Thank you in advance,
    Marek

AT and T can disable it, did you call them?
    10-21-08 07:19 PM
    Do you have homeowners insurance? I know some plans cover the phones.. try that ... just throwing that option out there also...
    10-21-08 07:19 PM
    Only thing you can do now is file a police report. I would have done it that day at the gym. Must be a gym that's not very busy, if somone can cut locks and not be seen doing it.

Home owners or renters insurance might cover it, you'll just have to check your policy or call them.

In the future leave every thing you don't want lose in the car. Get a lock box for your car and bolt it to the floor in the trunk or back seat. That way anyone breaking into your car will pretty much have to take the car to get into the lock box.

Yes do talk to the staff about doing more locker room sweeps, to at least make it harder to cut locks, especially with the holidays coming up. Suggest that they invest in safe up front for people that want to put things like wallets and phones in while working out. This might slow down checking and leaving the gym, better that than cut locks in a locker room they don't check often.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 09:11 PM
    The gym is really busy just not on weekends. I did file a police report that day right away.

Unfortunately homeowners insurance has said they WONT cover it.

My house keys are safe, and well the car keys are being reprogrammed and locks are being changed.

Any other input or ideas?
    10-21-08 09:36 PM
    Oh my I can't imagine...I'd freak out!

Well for new phone options: buy an unlocked Bold from Rogers if you want a Bold, and since you're probably going to have to pay full price for it you might as well upgrade if that's what you really want!

And yes, talk to the gym staff. They may even have security tapes in there that they can give to police to find it...it's theft over 100$ so the police will write a report, or at least they should!
    10-21-08 09:39 PM
    Yeah, they wrote a report unfortunately there are no cameras in the gym.

As per upgrades, do you (or anyone else) know upgrade policies for AT&T?
    10-21-08 09:47 PM
    Normally you have to be about 12 to 18 months into your 2yr to get an upgrade. But a stolen phone may get you an early one, can't hurt to ask.

You can call and ask in general how it works, then call back with your account info to see what they can do for you. If they ask or need a copy of the police report, you'll have it.

Really sucks that someone had the time to cut the lock off. Btw was your locker the only one broken into that day/week/month? If not, I'd be looking for a new place to workout.

With your new phone buy something like roblock, that way you can do a remote phone lock and even copy your contacts remotely. Also allows you to get info about the phone should the phone get it's SIM card replaced. Oh and you can send a remote command to the phone to sound an alarm, even if it's been put on vibrate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BlkBear; 10-22-08 at 03:17 AM.
    10-21-08 10:37 PM
    If you're only 9 mos into your contract you wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade. Are you registered to view your account online? If so log onto your account. There will be a picture of your phone and next to it you will see "Check Upgrade Eligibility". Once you click that button it will tell you when you're eligible for and upgrade. You can always just call customer service too!
    10-21-08 10:39 PM
    when you buy your new blackberry, install something like navizon, they offer a gps tracking feature. Assuming the model you buy has gps, the navizon account will constantly update itself with the phones coordinates, if you get one without gps, it will at least triangulate the area where the phone is at. so you can hunt down the bad guys.
    10-22-08 12:31 AM
    that navizon sounds cool. Where can you get it from?
    10-22-08 06:52 PM
    Oh no.

Sorry to hear that.
    10-22-08 06:59 PM
    I think you should file a claim against the gym anyway. The lock was cut. That's a pretty bold move. Seemingly a modicum of security is required by the gym.
    10-22-08 07:13 PM
    that navizon sounds cool. Where can you get it from?
    just add a .com ^_^
    10-22-08 11:07 PM
    You know when I think about it, the person that cut the lock, had to either have the lock cutter in a gym locker or a gym bag, because you don't just walk into a gym with a lock cutter and no one notices it.
    10-23-08 06:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD