Admittedly I am an addict and I have been for a long time. I killed my Pearl on Monday when she fell in the toilet. (Let's not mention I had NOTHING backed up) So naturally in the end I rushed out and got myself a Curve. Everything going fine and Dandy until this morning.
    Now this morning all the SMS I had sent or I get are in la-la land. I see them come in the notifer comes up and immediately goes away. If I go to the SMS or MMS outbox none of the ones I sent are there. If I go to the SMS or MMS inbox none are there!
    My DD is at her father's for the holiday and communication by txting is essential. Does anyone know what to do? I am quite stressed this morning.
    12-23-07 10:08 AM
    I would do a battery pull and see if that helps.
    12-23-07 10:45 AM
    I'm having the same problem. Device reset & wipe/restore did not fix the problem. Taking the battery out & putting it back in only lets me get my message use back for a few hours at best & all the previous messages stay lost.

Saving them to a memo is tedious but sometimes needed. You could forward them as E-mails to yourself as well.

I was also getting Java errors which are probably related.

I'm sending mine in to get it looked at. Only had my Curve for two weeks before it started happening
    12-23-07 11:00 AM
    I had the missing message problem again, called T-Mobile & was told this trick: hold the alt button & press lglg then release the alt button. This shows your event log. Delete this log & it will free up your memory & the message problem should go away.

This should be done once a week if not daily.

If your memory gets low, the device deletes the messages & phone logs as they are not as important as other data.

I hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JozipF.; 01-28-08 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Pesky shortcut got in the way. Oops!
    01-26-08 03:16 AM
    Wow Thanks for this possible solution. I will try this!
    01-26-08 09:09 AM
    Another solution may be you have your sms to self delet every day. The same problem happen to me a while ago I would get a text then in a few seconds it would be gone. Here is what I did. Go into your messege log, go all the way to the top, hit the application button, the click on options, go down till u get to "keep messeges" and click on forever. That should do it.

01-26-08 10:44 AM
    I have the same problem - today all my sms (apart from saved messages) and emails (apart from the last 3) vanished! Tried the event log clear and it didn't change anything, so I've set messages to keep forever and hopefully it won't happen again - I hate an empty inbox, makes me feel sad!

01-26-08 12:19 PM
    It sounds like you do not have enough free memory. (to check your memory go into the status in your options) The first things to go to free up memory are the SMS and the call log. Solution would be to get a memory card
    01-26-08 01:09 PM
    I don't see how a memory card would help unless you don't have one. You need a memory card for pictures & other media like ring tones for memory's sake.

If your device gets low on memory its first response is to empty the SMS, MMS & call logs to free up space.

Suggested course of action: empty your browser cache clean & then set messages to be saved forever. Delete any applications that you can live without. Perform the log clear "hold the alt button & press lglg then release the alt button." Delete the log & then take the battery out WHILE IT IS STILL RUNNING! (Told so by RIM service agent) & plop the battery back in so that you force a clean re start.

You won't get your messages back but you shouldn't lose them anymore. I'd suggest deleting the log daily.

In the log you can set what you want it to keep track of. Nothing at all should you wish but I would let it keep running in case there is another problem & they need your log info to debug.

Lastly, you should back up your device religiously! If this happens again you can do an "advanced restore" & plop your messages back onto your device from your last back-up & all is well. Setting the desktop manager to automagically back-up your device when connected is a smart move to be sure.

I hope this helps!
    Good luck & happy BlackBerrying!
    01-28-08 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD