I took my phone out of my pocket and no buttons on the curve works. The only thing that will allow me to turn the screen on is when I connect and disconnect from the charger. I tried deleting all the software on the phone and then reinstall and it still won't work. If I call the phone it will turn on but I can't press any buttons to pick up the call. Any suggestions?
    09-06-08 09:18 AM
    Have you pulled the battery?
    09-06-08 09:22 AM
    Yes tried that too. When it boots up the keypad still doesn't work.
    09-06-08 09:50 AM
    Sounds like you gotta send er in for a new one.
    09-06-08 10:46 AM
    IT WORKS! Whether you know it or not your BB has moisture in it which causes the keyboard and trackball to stop working. Remove the battery and blow dry it for 5 minutes or so. Replace the battery and you're back in crackberry heaven.

Be careful not to use too high a heat setting or hold it too close to your device as it can get too hot and damage the thin line circuits - I recommend alternating between medium heat and regular air.

I'm always setting my blackberry face down on tables in the pool of condensation from glasses and got sick of paying and waiting for replacements so the last time this happened, I took a friend's advice and it works.

Happy Crackberrying
    11-09-09 07:54 PM
    From what I've heard, blow drying it would make the moisture seep into the motherboard faster therefore making it worse. Putting it in the bag of rice so far is the best option of possibly fixing your BB from moisture damage or bagging it in one of the silica gel things that suck away moisture from products
    11-09-09 09:05 PM
    Hey fellow bb user;

I repair blackberry's for a living. Not sure where it started, but DO NOT use rice on any cell phone...it accelerates the corrosive properties of moisture.

thanks

brian
    05-26-10 04:23 PM
    Hey fellow bb user;

I repair blackberry's for a living. Not sure where it started, but DO NOT use rice on any cell phone...it accelerates the corrosive properties of moisture.

thanks

brian
    Whatt!! rice is not a corrosive, it is an moisture absorber, the problem is the dust on it, also its used to dry sand
    07-30-10 08:25 PM
    IT WORKS! Whether you know it or not your BB has moisture in it which causes the keyboard and trackball to stop working. Remove the battery and blow dry it for 5 minutes or so. Replace the battery and you're back in crackberry heaven.

Be careful not to use too high a heat setting or hold it too close to your device as it can get too hot and damage the thin line circuits - I recommend alternating between medium heat and regular air.

I'm always setting my blackberry face down on tables in the pool of condensation from glasses and got sick of paying and waiting for replacements so the last time this happened, I took a friend's advice and it works.

Happy Crackberrying
    How can you say that it works when you are only guessing what's wrong with it... Oh and using a blow dryer is not the way to dry electronics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 06:29 PM
    Try the steps here to handle moisture damage. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ht-way-318876/
    07-31-10 07:13 PM
    The rice isn't the way to go, too much starch=sugars. Go to a craft shop and buy a packet or 2 of aluminum silicate. Seal it in a airtight container for 24 hrs with the packets. They use this stuff among other things to dry flowers.

07-31-10 07:15 PM
    Blackbery Keyboard not working - SOLVED !
    I had moisture problem - dancing at the club got all sweaty and my BB in my pants pocket died. Talk about your phone dying when you`re about to ask for chick`s phone number. Lol.

It would boot but keyboard was not responsive. I searched everywhere but found no solution. So I opened it up following disassembly instructions - be careful not to use too much force or you`ll break it. Had to get fancy torx screwdriver. Took it apart, found white plastic covering contacts under the keyboard buttons. Carefully peeled the plastic to expose contacts and voila - noticed some corosion in two places using a magnifying glass.
    Took some q-tip, moistened it with rubbing alcohol, rubbed all contacts on the keyboard, then rubbed with a dry end of q-tip, made sure to dry it all out, reapplied the plastic back on, reassembled BB, reinserted the battery and it booted fine and keyboard worked like new.

I think what happened was the contacts are really close to each other so a little bit of moisture shorts those contacts and keyboard logic circuit shuts down and keyboard becomes . After cleaning it up, contacts become clean again and it works like a charm.
    NanC.BeLLa and liz.s like this.
    01-02-11 12:48 AM
    ok i have a blackberry curve 8520 lastnight it went bazzurk none of the keypad would work only the tracker so i could still scroll for sum strange reason wen this happens i figured out if you run both thumbs around the keys it should return to normal i have took it in the phone shop today and they are saying there is nothing they can find nothing wrong they saying it could be moist even though i put it on the radiator all night and that dint do nothing (I have not spilt nothing on this phone ) IVE HAD THIS PHONE A WEEK i really am not impressed!!!!!
    01-15-11 10:11 AM
    I had moisture problem - dancing at the club got all sweaty and my BB in my pants pocket died. Talk about your phone dying when you`re about to ask for chick`s phone number. Lol.

It would boot but keyboard was not responsive. I searched everywhere but found no solution. So I opened it up following disassembly instructions - be careful not to use too much force or you`ll break it. Had to get fancy torx screwdriver. Took it apart, found white plastic covering contacts under the keyboard buttons. Carefully peeled the plastic to expose contacts and voila - noticed some corosion in two places using a magnifying glass.
    Took some q-tip, moistened it with rubbing alcohol, rubbed all contacts on the keyboard, then rubbed with a dry end of q-tip, made sure to dry it all out, reapplied the plastic back on, reassembled BB, reinserted the battery and it booted fine and keyboard worked like new.

I think what happened was the contacts are really close to each other so a little bit of moisture shorts those contacts and keyboard logic circuit shuts down and keyboard becomes . After cleaning it up, contacts become clean again and it works like a charm.
    wow, got water in my 8900 and keyboard didnt work but trackball did, did what this post said do and now it works! thank you so much!
    liz.s likes this.
    02-11-11 06:02 AM
    can you please help me.. my keypad and trackpad is not working..

ok here's what happened..

i ordered some usb cable on online stores and the item arrived just this morning. my phone is working perfectly. i plugged the cable into my laptop to check of it's working and it is.. after a while i noticed that i cant seem to scroll down my trackpad, so i thought maybe i should re install my OS, im using OS6 by the way. now it seems my keypads and trackball isnt working.. now im stuck on "this handheld device includes software blah blah"

please help me how to fix this.. i really need your help.. thanks!
    02-15-11 05:53 PM
    So after giving my Blackberry 8900 to a 7 month old baby to play with it while babysitting other 3 kids she ended up drooling on it, slobbering all her mouth on it and biting on it. Until the next day i noticed the keyboard & trackball didnt work. I rebooted it and it turned on lovely and all and the screen would only turn on with the charger plugged in and out but when i had to punch in my password the keyboard and trackball wouldn't work. I was about to have a funeral for it until i found this post on here!
    i followed it faithfully and now my blackberry works!
    ***for the trackball i removed the orange square sticker (which has a metal circle stuck to it) with the twizzers (its a bit hard & delicate!) i cleaned the contact of it with the alcohol q-tip dried it and put the orange sticker back on and put it all together and it works like new!!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH SAWLUS!***

03-27-11 07:12 PM
    Let me take the time to clear a few things up.

1. DONT take your phone to your provider because they are trained to CONVINCE YOU YOUR PHONE IS BROKEN, and to buy a new one.
    2. Although water damage CAN cause this problem my phone has never once been exposed to water.
    3.Blackberries are poorly made an extremely unreliable. If you want reliability buy a track-phone.

I wake up in the morning to find my mother is calling me. I soon realize that i cant answer or push any buttons at all for that matter. pulled the battery, ect. nothing. Eventally my phone gets to the point where it is infinitely loading untill it runs out of battery. sweet. i reinstall the os and my phone boots again! yay! but my buttons are still broken. i take it to verizon and the woman tells me , "The keys on your blackberry not working is your fault, you kept the phone in your pocket, which can cause water damage from your body moisture. You might as well throw that one away. I guess you would like yo buy a new phone now?"....Frustrated i walk to my car and begin to slam my blackberry into my palm as hard as i can.

i look down and my phone is working.
    i have had this phone for another year after she told me to throw it away and it still works. I dont know what causes the key problem but anytime it happens i rough up my storm a little and viola it works.

I created a profile on here JUST TO POST THIS.
    This really did work for me.
    04-22-11 12:15 PM
    Hey fellow bb user;

thanks

brian

Quick question which might be out of place and I apologise if it is but is there a reset procedure which must be followed in order to render a Blackberry fully functional after it has been opened up and stripped down I.e. After I have stripped it down and replaced all the screws etc?

Thanks

Will

04-28-11 06:15 PM
    I have a blackburry curve 8520, and it fell into a sink full of water
    I've tried blow drying it, and it work for about 5 minutes, and now only about 3 buttons on my keyboard work, so i can't enter my password! what can i do?!?!
    06-26-11 02:19 AM
    My 8520 fell hard last night. It worked fine after for about and hour then both the track pad and the keyboard stopped working. I did several battery pulls and it started working again but the next day it stopped again. Can anyone help me??
    09-15-11 09:50 PM
    OH man, I'm so glad I found this thread..

So I got this cheap Bold 9000 and before I got home.. I noticed J key was not working properly and Y key was not working at all..

I've changed bezel on my previous 9000' before.. so I opened it and stuck some tiny piece of papr under Y and J key.. They both work, it's just feedback sux compared to other keys..

It's so irritating,.. So today once I get home, I'll try to peel white sticker off contacts and clean them..

Is the sticker hard to peel off / re-apply? What are my chances for J and Y keys to start working normally without paper?
    09-16-11 02:27 AM
    The rice bag trick does work. I have personally tried and tested it. Using a hairdryer is not a feasible option and who so ever is doing this is doing it wrong. 1) hairdryer blows out air and hence any moisture will get deeper into the phone and not out of it. 2) hairdryer expels out heat which would cause the water to condense when hot but when the water would get cold again it will fill in the phone.
    09-16-11 03:14 AM
    Well, I got from work.. I grabbed a cup of coffee on my way home, thinking.. Will it work or not..

Finally I get to it.. I take my beloved Bold 9000 apart,.. take qtip and put a little alco on it.. I take off the "plastic covering contacts".. I clean the 2 problematic keys.. Then dry them with other end of qtip..

Slowly put it back together and praying.. I go to sms instantly and IT FREAKING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

I love you CB community and the guy who found this!!!

Originally Posted by sawlus

09-16-11 11:58 AM
    Did this to my bb 9780 and it worked like a charm. I do not think, however, that one has to do any wiping. I think it might be the dissembling and reassembling or something related to that which is sufficient. The reason I say this is that it wasn't just my keypad that was malfunctioning, but the lock and mute buttons at the top too. I didn't do anything to them when I opened my bb and yet they also work again now. I think the problem is probably a software, as supposed to hardware issue. When I re-booted my bb it gave me a welcome screen and offered tutorial videos as if I had never used it before. WHatever kind of re-boot it had, I think that that is the key here.

All the best!
    12-13-11 04:57 AM

My 1 year old has been squishing all the buttons of my fone 8520 and the keypad just wouldn't work. However the trackpad worked and left me stranded with no functionality. Reflashed the fone a couple of times but didn't work. I tried out what was written in this comment and VOILA WORKS LIKE A CHARM. Thanks sawlus
    11-05-12 12:42 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD