I have a BB 8320 for tmobile. I'm currently running os 4.5.0.81 platform 2.7.0.78. There are a couple things I want to know. I am new to BB even though I've had a 8100 and 8800 before. This is the first phone I realized could be upgraded and such. I've read the how to tutorial on it and found it very helpful.
    1. What is the latest/best os for this model?
    2. Does the platform have anything to do with what os can be installed on my phone?
    3. I know the 8900 supports Divix, can the 8320, and if so where can I get it?
    4. How can I unlock all themes?
    5. The 8800 had gps, I don't know much about how gps works but common sense tells me that there was a program or something of that nature in the 8800 os that enabled it to have gps, can I get it on 8320?
    And lastly
    6. What applications would u reccommend to keep my phone running as fast as possible? It freezes a lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love crackberry.com and am proud to be a new member. This site has really educated me on RIM and has made my mind up about BB over a Sidekick.
    04-19-09 08:17 AM
    I can answer a few...

8320 does not have GPS, but you can connect to an external receiver via bluetooth.

I dont believe it support Divx but could be wrong on that one.

Latest OS it 4.5.0.124
    Seems much smoother than the old one I upgraded from so would recommend it.

You need to install themes, not unlock them. There are lots of free ones, and some other premium chargable ones. The variety is wild !

As far as I know any 8320 should accept the latest OS.

More to the point, what apps are you running already. If you are freezing a lot, quickpull and using regularly might help.

As for other apps, what do you use your phone for?
    04-19-09 08:21 AM
    More to the point, what apps are you running already. If you are freezing a lot, quickpull and using regularly might help.

As for other apps, what do you use your phone for?
    Slacker radio, google maps, facebook. That's it. I know slacker uses a lot of memory but I usually wipe my memory when I'm done. I've already quick pulled twice today. O and opera mini and I'm runniny the iberry theme..
    04-19-09 08:39 AM
    FB is an often-cited culprit. Also the BB App Store nukes the memory on my 8320 quicker than anything - not sure of you've installed that or not.

I think your other bits have been covered

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 08:47 AM
    FB is an often-cited culprit. Also the BB App Store nukes the memory on my 8320 quicker than anything - not sure of you've installed that or not.

I think your other bits have been covered

Yea I do have app world I'm about to delete it cause I don't use it anymore. Maybe that will help. Thx ;- )
    04-19-09 08:51 AM
    Smileycamper is right. Facebook and app world are known memory issues. I suggest staying away from them if you can.
    04-19-09 09:12 AM
    Just out of interest, re memory.
    What sort of free memory do 8320 users have straight after a battery pull?

Just wondering what usage others have.
    04-19-09 10:26 AM
    I swear I'm the luckiest guy with a Curve right now. With my 8330, I have no memory issues. It hovers at 46MB all of the time; with Facebook and App World installed too. I rarely have to do a pull.

For the freezing, make sure you are properly closing your applications (Menu -> Close) and keep minimal applications open (try for the main five only - phone, browser, messages, BBM, home screen). Those ones can't be closed.

Also try a battery pull every so often if you want. Or schedule Quick Pull for something like 4am every night.

04-19-09 10:36 AM
    Bcloutier, your 8330 has 96 mb of memory as opposed to our 8320 which has 64mb of memory. This could be why you dont run into memory problems as much as others here do. I personally dont have a memory but I have removed alot of things from my device that I dont use.
    Snazy after a battery pull I have around 24mb free. After a few days of running xm radio all day and browsing I get down to around 17.
    04-19-09 10:43 AM
    Snazy after a battery pull I have around 24mb free. After a few days of running xm radio all day and browsing I get down to around 17.

Cheers for that, always nice to have something to compare to.
    I have 17mb free after a pull.

Really should have paid more attention when I first got it to see what was free before adding apps.
    Not got masses on there, and not had any problems really. Rarely goes lower than 12mb
    04-19-09 10:48 AM
    Yea you should be fine. You could take a look at the link in my signature for memory optimization if you like. Its well worth the read if you decide to try and get more file free.
    04-19-09 10:52 AM
    Just out of interest, re memory.
    What sort of free memory do 8320 users have straight after a battery pull?

Just wondering what usage others have.
    i have usually about 16000000 if not more but still leaks down after several hours
    04-19-09 06:29 PM
    Yea you should be fine. You could take a look at the link in my signature for memory optimization if you like. Its well worth the read if you decide to try and get more file free.
    Nice one, I will do that while im out of action, something to pass the time

i have usually about 16000000 if not more but still leaks down after several hours
    Since ditching Pocket Express im up to just under 20mb on start up now
    12 hours after starting up, using apps etc im holding strong on 17mb
    04-20-09 05:28 AM
    Are you using facebook or blackberry app world? They are known memory consumers.
    04-20-09 06:46 AM
    I have quick pull set for 8am every morning. Before it does I'm around 16mb and after I'm about 18-19mb depending on what theme I'm using...I love my themes!!!

04-20-09 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD